TS450-SAT Trouble
Kurt
2004-01-23 07:49:31 UTC
Hello ,

I have troubles with my Kenwood TS-450-SAT . When i power on the transceiver
i get a cw code and in stead of the frequency i get dots on the screen .
Also i can't receive or transmit .
Anyone know this problem ? Can't find this problem in the manual .

Many thanks ,

Kurt
Marvin Rosen
Kurt
mike

jim.gm4dhj
2004-01-23 08:13:23 UTC
Another quality Trio.....

---
Kurt
2004-01-23 08:41:21 UTC
Post by Kurt
Hello ,
I have troubles with my Kenwood TS-450-SAT . When i power on the transceiver
i get a cw code and in stead of the frequency i get dots on the screen .
Also i can't receive or transmit .
Anyone know this problem ? Can't find this problem in the manual .
I found something : " The row of dots on the main display indicates that a
PLL is out of
lock " .
I think i need the service manual .
Rv!
2004-01-23 12:15:50 UTC
http://80.162.141.166/mods.dk/manuals.php?radio=kenwood

May be of assistance.

Rv!

(Not cross posted)
Bob
2004-01-24 23:52:27 UTC
Has the radio been sitting unplugged for a long period? If so , plug
it in for a few days and see if that will bring it back to life.
I had a similar problem on my R-5000 and that was the fix. No
further problems after 7 or 8 years.
Regards

Bob
Kurt
2004-01-25 13:25:34 UTC
Post by Bob
Has the radio been sitting unplugged for a long period? If so , plug
it in for a few days and see if that will bring it back to life.
I had a similar problem on my R-5000 and that was the fix. No
further problems after 7 or 8 years.
Regards
Bob
Hi Bob ,

What do you mean with a long period ? I didn't used the transceiver for
about 1 month .

Regards ,
Kurt
Bob
2004-01-25 18:33:25 UTC
Kurt: I had gone on holidays for about 3 weeks and disconnected
antenna and power. When I powered it up all I got was a line of dots
and no audio. I called a few dealers but none were familiar with the
problem.
Next day I turned it on and I got audio for about one minute but
as soon as I turned the volume up more than half way the dots
reappeared and the audio was dead. Another day went by and I tried
again. This time the radio stayed on and would work normally but an
increase in volume knocked it out again.
On the third day it worked normally and has ever since. I do not
unplug it except briefly to move it from one spot in the house to
another.
I have no idea why this glitch happened.
Hope yours responds as easily.
Regards, Bob
Kurt
Kurt
2004-01-25 19:15:32 UTC
Post by Bob
Kurt: I had gone on holidays for about 3 weeks and disconnected
antenna and power. When I powered it up all I got was a line of dots
and no audio. I called a few dealers but none were familiar with the
problem.
Next day I turned it on and I got audio for about one minute but
as soon as I turned the volume up more than half way the dots
reappeared and the audio was dead. Another day went by and I tried
again. This time the radio stayed on and would work normally but an
increase in volume knocked it out again.
On the third day it worked normally and has ever since. I do not
unplug it except briefly to move it from one spot in the house to
another.
I have no idea why this glitch happened.
Hope yours responds as easily.
Regards, Bob
Hi Bob ,

I get the problem more and more , every time when i power on the tx , even
when i turned it off for 1 minute .I will take a look on it and let you know
what is is/was .
If i can't fix it i take it to Kenwood , it's only 20 min to drive .

Many thanks ,

Kurt
Clif Holland
2004-01-25 22:19:05 UTC
Yours is simple. Some of the R-5000's have the same potting compound in a
VCO as the 440's. By keeping it on all the time you are keeping it dried out
and it will work until some of the components corrode in two. If you turn it
off the crud absorbs moisture and it won't work.
--
Clif Holland, KA5IPF
AVVid

www.avvid.com

1-800-214-5779
972-870-0630 (local)
Kurt
John
2004-01-25 22:24:04 UTC
Post by Bob
Kurt: I had gone on holidays for about 3 weeks and disconnected
antenna and power. When I powered it up all I got was a line of dots
and no audio. I called a few dealers but none were familiar with the
problem.
Next day I turned it on and I got audio for about one minute but
as soon as I turned the volume up more than half way the dots
reappeared and the audio was dead. Another day went by and I tried
again. This time the radio stayed on and would work normally but an
increase in volume knocked it out again.
On the third day it worked normally and has ever since. I do not
unplug it except briefly to move it from one spot in the house to
another.
I have no idea why this glitch happened.
Hope yours responds as easily.
Regards, Bob
At a guess. It could be condensation which has dried out when you return
home and restart the central heating ect.
John
Crazy George
2004-01-24 02:45:34 UTC
Kurt:

You found the diagnosis, one of the PLLs is unlocked. Does it do it on all
bands? This will narrow it down. BTW, the Morse is UL for unlocked. Need
to get your code speed up. Anyway, there are 5 or 6 PLLs in the radio, and
the manual from the .dk site will help you recover. Find the control
voltage test point for each PLL and see which one is way off. That will be
the one needing attention. Do not be surprised to find one of the varicaps
to have failed, Kenwood apparently had a batch of bad ones where the glass
cracked, and then the diode dies of course.

--
Crazy George
W5VPQ
Kurt
Kurt
2004-01-25 15:59:52 UTC
Post by Crazy George
to get your code speed up. Anyway, there are 5 or 6 PLLs in the radio, and
the manual from the .dk site will help you recover. Find the control
voltage test point for each PLL and see which one is way off. That will be
the one needing attention. Do not be surprised to find one of the varicaps
to have failed, Kenwood apparently had a batch of bad ones where the glass
cracked, and then the diode dies of course.
--
Crazy George
Hello George ,

It's on all bands . When the set works after a while it takes about 10
minutes and i got the problem again .
I will take a look on the mods.dk website to download the manual but at the
moment the download is suspended .

Many thanks ,

Kurt
helmsman
What is the sound you hear in code - what doe's it say??
Kurt

Kurt
Trevor Day
2004-01-25 20:22:43 UTC
Post by Kurt
Post by helmsman
Post by Kurt
i get a cw code and in stead of the frequency i get dots on the screen .
Also i can't receive or transmit .
Anyone know this problem ? Can't find this problem in the manual .
Many thanks ,
Kurt
What is the sound you hear in code - what doe's it say??
It say UL .
Unlocked? As in PLL
Just a guess
Trev G3ZYY
Trevor Day
Kurt
Yep , i thing that's the problem .
Ged
2004-01-25 21:52:34 UTC
Post by Kurt
Post by Trevor Day
Post by Kurt
It say UL .
Unlocked? As in PLL
Just a guess
Trev G3ZYY
Yep , i thing that's the problem .
A correct guess. I don't know the internal circuitry of the 450S but I
had the same problem with my TS850s. That was caused by a faulty DDS
chip.
Ged
MattD..
2004-01-26 08:06:34 UTC
On Sunday 25 January 2004 9:52 pm, taking a break from trying to find a
Post by Ged
A correct guess. I don't know the internal circuitry of the 450S but I
had the same problem with my TS850s. That was caused by a faulty DDS
chip.
There is a common fault with the TS-4xx series of radios to do with the
"goop" they cover the VCO section with. It takes on moisture and becomes
slightly conductive after a while. The fix is usually to _carefully_ remove
whatever the mess is that they apply from around the VCO components and it
cures the fault. The big giveaway here is that the set works properly when
it warms up, occasionally reverting to dots and UL for no good reason.

Indications are exactly this. Row of dots in the display, UL sent in Morse
to indicate PLL out of lock and no RX/TX. More common in TS-440s but it has
been reported in 450s as well.
MattD..
mike hardy
2004-01-27 01:43:12 UTC
MARK V Field FT-1000 for sale mint only 3 months old with mic manual can snd
pictures selling to buy other radio gear £1400 buyer p/p Building on the
tremendous success of the 200-Watt FT-1000D and MARK-V FT-1000MP Elite-Class
HF Transceivers, the MARK-V Field brings leading-edge technology to you in a
100-Watt self-contained transceiver design. phone mike 07791754432 or email
me. will swap for only updated radio's email me with deal's ?
__________________ regards de mike m0fcg - m1key - 2e0key
Andy Cowley
2004-01-27 11:28:48 UTC
Post by mike hardy
__________________ regards de mike m0fcg - m1key - 2e0key
2 advanced licences? I didn't think that Ofcom allowed that.

vy 73

Andy, M1EBV

Cross posting removed.
Robin
2004-01-27 22:30:23 UTC
Post by Andy Cowley
2 advanced licences? I didn't think that Ofcom allowed that.
They do if you have them registered to two different addreses.
Robin