CW is a thing of the past, we need to dumb licences down to make it easier for FM users
Ottavio Caruso
2023-11-15 16:31:46 UTC
Meanwhile FM is pretty much dead, there are more stations on the tiny CW
slice than on SSB.

Well done RSGB!
Ottavio Caruso
Brian Morrison
2023-11-15 19:11:16 UTC
On Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:31:46 +0000
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Meanwhile FM is pretty much dead, there are more stations on the tiny
CW slice than on SSB.
Well done RSGB!
Which band are you referring to OM?
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
Ottavio Caruso
2023-11-16 09:30:31 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Meanwhile FM is pretty much dead, there are more stations on the tiny
CW slice than on SSB.
Well done RSGB!
Which band are you referring to OM?
You mean FM? 2m and 430 Mhz. They are pretty much dead.
Ottavio Caruso
Brian Morrison
2023-11-16 19:53:15 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Meanwhile FM is pretty much dead, there are more stations on the
tiny CW slice than on SSB.
Well done RSGB!
Which band are you referring to OM?
You mean FM? 2m and 430 Mhz. They are pretty much dead.
Just wanted to know which band(s) you were talking about.

Whereabouts are you located? Some areas have more activity than others.
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
Ottavio Caruso
2023-11-17 10:43:19 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Meanwhile FM is pretty much dead, there are more stations on the
tiny CW slice than on SSB.
Well done RSGB!
Which band are you referring to OM?
You mean FM? 2m and 430 Mhz. They are pretty much dead.
Just wanted to know which band(s) you were talking about.
Whereabouts are you located? Some areas have more activity than others.
Birmingham. FM is dead here. Some old folks do SSB on the 2m band.
Ottavio Caruso
Brian Morrison
2023-11-17 16:13:54 UTC
On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:43:19 +0000
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Whereabouts are you located? Some areas have more activity than others.
Birmingham. FM is dead here. Some old folks do SSB on the 2m band.
Well then, maybe I'll work you one day when I'm out /P.
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
Ottavio Caruso
2023-11-17 16:24:41 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Whereabouts are you located? Some areas have more activity than others.
Birmingham. FM is dead here. Some old folks do SSB on the 2m band.
Well then, maybe I'll work you one day when I'm out /P.
I don't even have a rig. I got my first ticket in 2017 and M0 in 2018
and I never had a QSO, unless you count the one I had using the club
call sign ages ago while I was training for the exam.
Ottavio Caruso
Brian Morrison
2023-11-17 16:36:02 UTC
On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 16:24:41 +0000
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:43:19 +0000
[...]
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Birmingham. FM is dead here. Some old folks do SSB on the 2m band.
Well then, maybe I'll work you one day when I'm out /P.
I don't even have a rig. I got my first ticket in 2017 and M0 in 2018
and I never had a QSO, unless you count the one I had using the club
call sign ages ago while I was training for the exam.
Are you intending to get a radio?
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
mm0fmf
No, he's a troll.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
totly
Ottavio Caruso
2023-11-18 09:45:31 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Birmingham. FM is dead here. Some old folks do SSB on the 2m band.
Well then, maybe I'll work you one day when I'm out /P.
I don't even have a rig. I got my first ticket in 2017 and M0 in 2018
and I never had a QSO, unless you count the one I had using the club
call sign ages ago while I was training for the exam.
Are you intending to get a radio?
My original plan was to be fluent in morse, which hasn't happened yet,
and then get a Hf rig. I used to have a Baofeng but I couldn't get to
connect to anyone and I sold it. At the time, there were no repeaters
working in my area and line of sight would go nowhere.
Ottavio Caruso
Jim GM4DHJ ...
connect?
Julian Macassey
2023-11-18 10:35:38 UTC
On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 16:24:41 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
Post by Ottavio Caruso
I don't even have a rig.
Easy to fix. For about 20 quid you can buy a brand new
dual band walkie talkie.

https://www.baofengradio.com/collections/online-store

Using a Linux, Apple, or Windows computer you can
programe and modify it.

The tricky part is finding a QSO.
--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan
Ottavio Caruso
2023-11-18 14:25:36 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
I don't even have a rig.
Easy to fix. For about 20 quid you can buy a brand new
dual band walkie talkie.
https://www.baofengradio.com/collections/online-store
Using a Linux, Apple, or Windows computer you can
programe and modify it.
The tricky part is finding a QSO.
You missed my previous post when I wrote that I had a 'feng but I
couldn't get a QSO.
Ottavio Caruso
Jim GM4DHJ ...
useless bampot
Julian Macassey
2023-11-18 10:25:53 UTC
On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:43:19 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Which band are you referring to OM?
You mean FM? 2m and 430 Mhz. They are pretty much dead.
Just wanted to know which band(s) you were talking about.
Whereabouts are you located? Some areas have more activity than others.
Birmingham. FM is dead here. Some old folks do SSB on the 2m band.
I do note that there is still a large selection of FM (2m
and 70cm) rigs available from the usual emporia. Yet those bands are
dead these days.

Personally I have always been a fan of 2M SSB.
--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan
Jim GM4DHJ ...
in glasgow 2m 70cm 4m are all dead .....
Jim GM4DHJ ...
bit of activity in the near of ayrshire...
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2023-11-22 12:55:15 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Which band are you referring to OM?
You mean FM? 2m and 430 Mhz. They are pretty much dead.
Just wanted to know which band(s) you were talking about.
Whereabouts are you located? Some areas have more activity than others.
Birmingham. FM is dead here. Some old folks do SSB on the 2m band.
    I do note that there is still a large selection of FM (2m
and 70cm) rigs available from the usual emporia. Yet those bands are
dead these days.
    Personally I have always been a fan of 2M SSB.
in glasgow 2m 70cm 4m are all dead .....
bit of activity in the near of ayrshire...
everything is dead they dumbed down amateur radio so it wouldn't die
then it did a worse death..dead on here as well....
Jim GM4DHJ ...
TIME TO PACK IT ALL IN
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2023-11-22 13:10:59 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Which band are you referring to OM?
You mean FM? 2m and 430 Mhz. They are pretty much dead.
Just wanted to know which band(s) you were talking about.
Whereabouts are you located? Some areas have more activity than others.
Birmingham. FM is dead here. Some old folks do SSB on the 2m band.
    I do note that there is still a large selection of FM (2m
and 70cm) rigs available from the usual emporia. Yet those bands are
dead these days.
    Personally I have always been a fan of 2M SSB.
in glasgow 2m 70cm 4m are all dead .....
bit of activity in the near of ayrshire...
everything is dead they dumbed down amateur radio so it wouldn't die
then it did a worse death..dead on here as well....
TIME TO PACK IT ALL IN
just as well I have sold most of my equipment...anything I have left is
worthless
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2023-11-22 13:21:40 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Which band are you referring to OM?
You mean FM? 2m and 430 Mhz. They are pretty much dead.
Just wanted to know which band(s) you were talking about.
Whereabouts are you located? Some areas have more activity than others.
Birmingham. FM is dead here. Some old folks do SSB on the 2m band.
    I do note that there is still a large selection of FM (2m
and 70cm) rigs available from the usual emporia. Yet those bands are
dead these days.
    Personally I have always been a fan of 2M SSB.
in glasgow 2m 70cm 4m are all dead .....
bit of activity in the near of ayrshire...
everything is dead they dumbed down amateur radio so it wouldn't die
then it did a worse death..dead on here as well....
TIME TO PACK IT ALL IN
just as well I have sold most of my equipment...anything I have left is
worthless
These listed 'STARS' are what is wrong with the hobby...cbrs wanting
verticals and only know verticals

Jim GM4DHJ ...
2023-11-22 13:29:58 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
http://youtu.be/7d0wxUxfkxA
who follows these morons? ...any of you lot ? ...
Jim GM4DHJ ...
never pay for antennas
Roger Hayter
2023-11-22 13:36:11 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
[...]
People have been selling miracle short verticals (with the occasional
interruption for things that are allegedly magnetic) for as long as I've known
anything about amateur radio. It would be so good if you could get a good
signal without all those annoying proper aerials!
Roger Hayter
Jim GM4DHJ ...
what?
Bernie
2023-11-22 18:53:28 UTC
On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:07:41 +0000
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Which band are you referring to OM?
You mean FM? 2m and 430 Mhz. They are pretty much dead.
Just wanted to know which band(s) you were talking about.
Whereabouts are you located? Some areas have more activity than others.
Birmingham. FM is dead here. Some old folks do SSB on the 2m band.
    I do note that there is still a large selection of FM (2m
and 70cm) rigs available from the usual emporia. Yet those bands
are dead these days.
    Personally I have always been a fan of 2M SSB.
in glasgow 2m 70cm 4m are all dead .....
bit of activity in the near of ayrshire...
everything is dead they dumbed down amateur radio so it wouldn't
die then it did a worse death..dead on here as well....
TIME TO PACK IT ALL IN
You've bean saying that for at least 20 years, now, Jim.

Every Christmas, my gran used to say that she thought it would be her
last. She was right, eventually. Took her quite a few guesses, though.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2023-11-25 15:54:05 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
[...]
very true....I have been saying one of my cars is going to fail its MOT
for 15 years....
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2023-11-25 16:04:54 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Which band are you referring to OM?
You mean FM? 2m and 430 Mhz. They are pretty much dead.
Just wanted to know which band(s) you were talking about.
Whereabouts are you located? Some areas have more activity than others.
Birmingham. FM is dead here. Some old folks do SSB on the 2m band.
    I do note that there is still a large selection of FM (2m
and 70cm) rigs available from the usual emporia. Yet those bands
are dead these days.
    Personally I have always been a fan of 2M SSB.
in glasgow 2m 70cm 4m are all dead .....
bit of activity in the near of ayrshire...
everything is dead they dumbed down amateur radio so it wouldn't said that was 1982
first time I said that was 1982
Bernie
2023-11-28 18:41:01 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
[...]
It is dead on here. Jim. I don't see the point in having two amateur
radio groups with the way things are. I've bean thinking about emailing
Cole and getting him to RFD for the removal of this one.
Roger Hayter
2023-11-28 18:53:07 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
[...]
No chance of that winning!
Roger Hayter
Bernie
2023-11-28 19:55:40 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
[...]
Oh, I don't know so much. Most of the ranks have deserted, Burt's busy
with his velocipede vendetta, and sKumbag-evans seems to have hung up
his shrieking nighty; looks like a good time to start a campaign.

I reckon that one big push in the new year could get it over the line.
Roger Hayter
2023-11-28 20:07:14 UTC
Post by Bernie
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
[...]
But it isn't just ukra users are going to vote. You have doctrinaire
libertarians who positively object to the existence of moderated groups, let
alone the dissolution of parallel unmoderated groups. And the rest of us who
will never vote for the removal of any group unless it can be shown to have no
or hardly any appropriate use for years on end. In comparison with these
elements of the electorate the actual posters to ukra are a rather small
group.
Roger Hayter
Bernie
2023-11-28 20:56:53 UTC
On 28 Nov 2023 20:07:14 GMT
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Bernie
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Brian Morrison
[...]
This group is not an island. All of UK Usenet is much the same as here.

I'll email Cole. We'll see what shakes out in good time.
Brian Morrison
2023-11-28 19:30:33 UTC
On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:41:01 +0000
Post by Bernie
It is dead on here. Jim. I don't see the point in having two amateur
radio groups with the way things are.
Which is the other group you are referring to?
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
Bernie
Dot mod, Bri.
Brian Morrison
2023-11-29 13:46:27 UTC
Post by Bernie
It is dead on here. Jim. I don't see the point in having two
amateur radio groups with the way things are.
Which is the other group you are referring to?
Dot mod, Bri.
Oh, I never look there, let along post.
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
Bernie
2023-12-03 14:12:24 UTC
Post by Bernie
It is dead on here. Jim. I don't see the point in having two
amateur radio groups with the way things are.
Which is the other group you are referring to?
Dot mod, Bri.
Oh, I never look there, let along post.
Burt has posted there! So you're missing out.

The moderation delays are generally only a few hours. I'm sure you'll
get used to it, when the time comes.
Brian Morrison
2023-12-03 14:41:36 UTC
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:12:24 +0000
Post by Bernie
Post by Brian Morrison
Oh, I never look there, let along post.
Burt has posted there! So you're missing out.
I can't see how it is possible to 'miss out' on what is allowed into a
.moderated group. Anything that isn't is posted here and is much more
interesting.
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
Bernie
2023-12-03 15:11:02 UTC
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:41:36 +0000
Post by Brian Morrison
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:12:24 +0000
Post by Bernie
Post by Brian Morrison
Oh, I never look there, let along post.
Burt has posted there! So you're missing out.
I can't see how it is possible to 'miss out' on what is allowed into a
.moderated group. Anything that isn't is posted here and is much more
interesting.
<Jim> Wut? </Jim>

Burt seems to be getting quite into this moderation lark. He's bean
singing the praises of NIN for moderating his newsfeed on another
group. Which I thought was a bit surprising, what with them being
German, Burt's libertarian ideals, and The War, and Brexit, and all
that. He's always seemed VERY keen on doing his own filtering.

Times change, I guess.
Roger Hayter
2023-12-03 15:19:54 UTC
Post by Bernie
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:41:36 +0000
Post by Brian Morrison
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:12:24 +0000
Post by Bernie
Post by Brian Morrison
Oh, I never look there, let along post.
Burt has posted there! So you're missing out.
I can't see how it is possible to 'miss out' on what is allowed into a
.moderated group. Anything that isn't is posted here and is much more
interesting.
<Jim> Wut? </Jim>
Burt seems to be getting quite into this moderation lark. He's bean
singing the praises of NIN for moderating his newsfeed on another
group. Which I thought was a bit surprising, what with them being
German, Burt's libertarian ideals, and The War, and Brexit, and all
that. He's always seemed VERY keen on doing his own filtering.
Times change, I guess.
He appears to believe that substantially all cyclists belong to an organised,
disciplined group with their own compulsory policy and terrorist agenda, much
like Hamas.
Roger Hayter
Bernie
2023-12-03 15:23:39 UTC
On 3 Dec 2023 15:19:54 GMT
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Bernie
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:41:36 +0000
Post by Brian Morrison
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:12:24 +0000
Post by Bernie
Post by Brian Morrison
Oh, I never look there, let along post.
Burt has posted there! So you're missing out.
I can't see how it is possible to 'miss out' on what is allowed
into a .moderated group. Anything that isn't is posted here and is
much more interesting.
<Jim> Wut? </Jim>
Burt seems to be getting quite into this moderation lark. He's bean
singing the praises of NIN for moderating his newsfeed on another
group. Which I thought was a bit surprising, what with them being
German, Burt's libertarian ideals, and The War, and Brexit, and all
that. He's always seemed VERY keen on doing his own filtering.
Times change, I guess.
He appears to believe that substantially all cyclists belong to an
organised, disciplined group with their own compulsory policy and
terrorist agenda, much like Hamas.
Yeah, some Torquay tandemist told him to fuck off. Seems to have
triggered his ringsting something fearsome.

Poor old Burt.
Brian Morrison
2023-12-03 18:47:36 UTC
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:11:02 +0000
Post by Bernie
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:41:36 +0000
Post by Brian Morrison
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:12:24 +0000
[...]
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Bernie
Burt has posted there! So you're missing out.
I can't see how it is possible to 'miss out' on what is allowed
into a .moderated group. Anything that isn't is posted here and is
much more interesting.
<Jim> Wut? </Jim>
Burt seems to be getting quite into this moderation lark. He's bean
singing the praises of NIN for moderating his newsfeed on another
group. Which I thought was a bit surprising, what with them being
German, Burt's libertarian ideals, and The War, and Brexit, and all
that. He's always seemed VERY keen on doing his own filtering.
As we all should be.
Post by Bernie
Times change, I guess.
I don't read the other groups Spike posts in these days, moderated or
not.

I was referring only to uk.r.a* where what isn't in uk.r.a.m is most
likely actually interesting whereas if it passed the mods it probably
isn't.
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
Bernie
2023-12-03 19:37:52 UTC
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 18:47:36 +0000
Post by Brian Morrison
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:11:02 +0000
Post by Bernie
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:41:36 +0000
Post by Brian Morrison
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:12:24 +0000
[...]
Post by Bernie
Times change, I guess.
I don't read the other groups Spike posts in these days, moderated or
not.
I was referring only to uk.r.a* where what isn't in uk.r.a.m is most
likely actually interesting whereas if it passed the mods it probably
isn't.
oh..... right.....

totly
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2023-12-12 15:21:21 UTC
Post by Bernie
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 18:47:36 +0000
Post by Brian Morrison
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:11:02 +0000
Post by Bernie
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:41:36 +0000
Post by Brian Morrison
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:12:24 +0000
[...]
totly is MINE
Bernie
2023-12-16 18:23:58 UTC
On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:21:21 +0000
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Bernie
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 18:47:36 +0000
Post by Brian Morrison
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:11:02 +0000
Post by Bernie
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:41:36 +0000
Post by Brian Morrison
On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:12:24 +0000
[...]
I did credit you further up - it's in the bit that you quoted.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2023-12-23 12:48:53 UTC
Post by Bernie
On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:21:21 +0000