I'm ashamed to ask but here we go...
Add Reply
Ottavio Caruso
2024-08-16 13:38:36 UTC
I took my three tickets (Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced) between
2017 and 2018, just before the syllabus changed.

For the Foundation and Intermediate, I took it very seriously. I didn't
just memorise the book, I also tried to understand every little detail.

At the moment of preparing for the Full licence, I found it overwhelming
and basically I cheated and memorised the book. I passed with flying
colours but I couldn't practice my hobby because I was in temporary,
shared accommodation, then came the corona virus, then I moved into
another rubbish accommodation and so on.

If you asked me now anything from the book for the Full licence, I
wouldn't remember anything.

Now, I'd like to (re)start from scratch. I want to be able to build
rudimentary CW (and only CW, voice or data don't interest me) receivers
and transmitters, but I want to understand what I am doing.

Back in may day, there were magazines for electronics beginners that
picked you up and spoon fed you until you got the picture. These times
are gone. Modern Ham-o-sphere is programmable chips, software designed
radio and all that jazz.

Where would I start? Is it even possible in our times? Even cheap kits
are now built on programmable chips.
Ottavio Caruso
Brian Morrison
2024-08-16 13:57:37 UTC
On Fri, 16 Aug 2024 14:38:36 +0100
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Now, I'd like to (re)start from scratch. I want to be able to build
rudimentary CW (and only CW, voice or data don't interest me)
receivers and transmitters, but I want to understand what I am doing.
Back in may day, there were magazines for electronics beginners that
picked you up and spoon fed you until you got the picture. These
times are gone. Modern Ham-o-sphere is programmable chips, software
designed radio and all that jazz.
Where would I start? Is it even possible in our times? Even cheap
kits are now built on programmable chips.
Join the G-QRP club and have a look at their web site and publications.
--
Brian Morrison "No, his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
But change is"
A. non Eyemouse
2024-08-16 14:59:27 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Now, I'd like to (re)start from scratch. I want to be able to build
rudimentary CW (and only CW, voice or data don't interest me)
receivers and transmitters, but I want to understand what I am doing.
Back in may day, there were magazines for electronics beginners that
picked you up and spoon fed you until you got the picture. These
times are gone. Modern Ham-o-sphere is programmable chips, software
designed radio and all that jazz.
Where would I start? Is it even possible in our times? Even cheap
kits are now built on programmable chips.
Join the G-QRP club and have a look at their web site and publications.
That^^^. Well with 6 quid a year, and you can get all the back issues of
Sprat on a memory stick to browse though.
https://www.gqrp.com/
--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
just go on the amature (sic)radio and break 1 4...
Brian
2024-08-19 06:46:09 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
[...]
As ( the other) Brian suggested, the GQRP club would be a good place to
start. I’m not a QRPer but I joined as I find some of the ideas useful.

They also run ( or did, I don’t recall see any being advertised recently
but then I don’t look for them) Buildathons - events where you go an build
a project under the supervision of experienced amateurs who can show /
advise on everything from soldering to testing etc. Some clubs run such
similar events - I’ve helped run several over the years.

A kit is another option. Kanga kits have a good reputation. I’ve helped a
number of newcomers with them . The quality is good (printed circuit board,
components, instructions etc) and they work- assuming you assemble them
correctly. I believe they are still around.

YouTube is a good resource. There are some very good channels on there -
theory and building.

Magazines : I’ve not looked at PW for years. Most of the others ( PE, SWM,
WW, RC, …..) went under/ amalgamated years ago. It pains me to say RadCom
rarely features the kind of article you are probably looking for. Don’t
shoot the messenger- such content is or was seen as too niche. ( I often
wonder how many members of GQRP ever build anything - and that is a niche
club. I know one who certainly seems to lack knowledge I’d expect - despite
being licensed years longer than myself. )

Oh, the GQRP club also has a component shop. It works well and stocks some
bits not always easy to find elsewhere.

Someone mentioned back issues of Sprat - the GQRP magazine on a USB stick.
A great buy if you have a Kindle/ iPad/ etc. The back issues are simple pdf
files so you can load them into your Kindle library or onto a Tablet etc.
The layout of the early ones isn’t as ‘slick’ as the current ones but they
are more than adequate and the content is good. Don’t be put off if you
start at No 1.

They also have a GroupsIO group.
Julian Macassey
2024-08-19 14:56:43 UTC
https://www.kanga-products.co.uk/

https://www.kanga-products.co.uk/kits-and-built-items

https://device.report/manual/11509126
--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan
David
2024-08-21 06:12:04 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Post by Brian
similar events - I’ve helped run several over the years.
A kit is another option. Kanga kits have a good reputation. I’ve helped a
number of newcomers with them . The quality is good (printed circuit board,
components, instructions etc) and they work- assuming you assemble them
correctly. I believe they are still around.
https://www.kanga-products.co.uk/
https://www.kanga-products.co.uk/kits-and-built-items
https://device.report/manual/11509126
For a range of more advanced kits you could try
https://www.qrp-labs.com/ but they can be somewhat fiddly to assemble.

IMHO building a transmitter as an initial project is easier than
building a receiver, and, if you are happy working with high voltages,
building a valve/tube transmitter is likely to be easier and more
rewarding than a semiconductor equivalent. A good starter project would
be a clone of a Codar AT5 http://www.g4kfk.co.uk/Codar_AT-5_Manual.pdf

I would suggest looking through some Practical Wireless magazines from
the 1960's and 70's, which can be found at
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Practical_Wireless_Magazine.htm

They are all guaranteed microprocessor free!

Sourcing components is actually easier than you may think. Ask if you
need more advice.

A. non Eyemouse
2024-08-20 12:07:20 UTC
Post by Brian
They also have a GroupsIO group.
...which accepts "known troublemakers".
--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
jon
2024-08-19 13:16:40 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
[...]
I have a huge number of discrete high speed bipolar transistors to dispose
of.
A. non Eyemouse
2024-08-20 12:09:16 UTC
Post by jon
I have a huge number of discrete high speed bipolar transistors to dispose
of.
Any beryllium oxide involved?
--
Mouse.