VHF PLT noise.... Coming to a VHF band near you soon.
Morski
2010-03-27 16:27:01 UTC
This post is from the UKQRM group, I have been keeping a close eye on these
devices for about a year now, so now it's not just HF, it's pretty much
everything!

The full original post can be found on the UKQRM Yahoogroup......

"Some weeks ago I purchased a Belkin Gigabit Powerline HD Starter Kit model
number F5D4076uk with the intention of testing, then taking it back and
complaining.

Due to illness, there was a delay in making the field test and due to a
failure
on my part to look at the Standards, I proceeded on the assumption that
since
the devices were HomePlugAV compatible, they were therefore were still HF
PLT,
despite being gigabit.

I tested them and no-surprise, HF was wiped out in the manner to which we've
all
become accustomed. A quick 'twiddle' up to about 45 MHz on a VR-500 with a
BNC
stub antenna some metres distant indicated no incursion into VHF - so I
thought,
so I stopped the test and packed them away.

Richard's post today, prompted me to ask him to phone me and quickly into
that
conversation it became apparent that this device was of the ilk I've been
warning everyone about like a prophet of doom - the dreaded 300 MHz PLT. No
sooner was the conversation finished, I set about reinstalling the adapters
and
looking properly at them this time.

What I found should bother EVERYONE. I mean it.

Close-in (inside the same house the PLT's were deployed in, which is ferrite
city I might add) the PLT's effectively consumed:-

0.1 MHz to 370 MHz

Yes that's right, the whole lot. On a VR-500 with 30cm telescopic antenna
inside the house, there were virtually NO GAPS. Not just HF, but 6m, 4m, 2m,
the
air band, the utility band, the pager band, the DAB band and anything else
in
between.

But VHF radio broadcasting was notched, so that's alright.

A little further away, some metres outside the house, the effect was a
little
attenuated (remember every cable in my house has clip-on ferrites -
obsessively)
and :-

roughly 2.5 MHz - 29 MHz was filled, and
roughly 73 MHz - 319 MHz the same, with a few attenuations.

I bribed my wife to go for a walk (I'm disabled remember) and on a random
sprog,
(290 MHz chosen) the signal was still in the VR-500 at 100 metres distant
down
the road, that's with the 30cm telescopic.

Just because the RSGB has dispatched a nice letter to Ofcom DOES NOT MEAN WE
CAN
RELAX group. Sorry for shouting, but it's the truth. Now more than ever we
need
to be vigilant since it's no longer just HF being consumed by this
monstrosity -
and it is no longer a threat on the horizon - it is here and it is now. . ."

These are the ones in question:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... BELKIN.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Powerlin ... B00267Q3SI

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=264968

It's about time we all started to actually start making a lot of noise about
this, everyone seems quite happy just to carry on thinking it will never
affect them, well it seems it will, it's going to get worse and worse!
Gareth Evans G4SDW
2010-03-27 16:40:19 UTC
Post by Morski
"Some weeks ago I purchased a Belkin Gigabit Powerline HD Starter Kit model
number F5D4076uk with the intention of testing, then taking it back and
complaining.
If something is deliberatley purchased for one of its characteristics, then
you have no lawful cause for complaint if it exhibits that characteristic.
Walt Davidson
2010-03-27 19:51:53 UTC
This post is from the UKQRM group ...
Oh well, it must be right, then!

<LOL>

73 de Wlat

P.S. What is being done with the money so far donated to the RSCB's
so-called "Fighting Fund"?
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
l***@eternal-flames.gov
2010-03-27 20:00:15 UTC
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:51:53 +0000, Walt Davidson
Post by Walt Davidson
This post is from the UKQRM group ...
Oh well, it must be right, then!
<LOL>
73 de Wlat
P.S. What is being done with the money so far donated to the RSCB's
so-called "Fighting Fund"?
I see the RSGB have been given £250K by .gov, to do up BP.

http://www.rsgb.org/news/articlelinks.php?id=0061

How dare anyone suggest any correlation between that and the decision
to slow down in their planned action against DuffCom.

Nick.
Lurcherman
2010-03-27 20:58:13 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
This post is from the UKQRM group ...
Oh well, it must be right, then!
<LOL>
73 de Wlat
P.S.  What is being done with the money so far donated to the RSCB's
so-called "Fighting Fund"?
I see the RSGB have been given £250K by .gov, to do up BP.
http://www.rsgb.org/news/articlelinks.php?id=0061
How dare anyone suggest any correlation between that and the decision
to slow down in their planned action against DuffCom.
Nick.
Where does it say that the RSGB have been given this money?, absolute
crap..
The BP management may have, not the RSGB

hopefully you will be surrounded by the PLA stuff, then lets see who
comes crying.
Brian Morrison
2010-03-27 21:01:20 UTC
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:58:13 -0700 (PDT)
Post by Lurcherman
hopefully you will be surrounded by the PLA stuff, then lets see who
comes crying.
Nick will be moving to somewhere in EI soon, I somehow doubt he'll be
afflicted there.

But, you're right about the potential for chaos.

It will be instructive to see what happens in the VHF air band if one
of these things appears close to a major airport. I suspect that it's
continued usage will be curtailed sharpish!
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
Lurcherman
2010-03-27 21:16:41 UTC
Post by Lurcherman
hopefully you will be surrounded by the PLA stuff, then lets see who
comes crying.
Nick will be moving to somewhere in EI soon, I somehow doubt he'll be
afflicted there.
But, you're right about the potential for chaos.
It will be instructive to see what happens in the VHF air band if one
of these things appears close to a major airport. I suspect that it's
continued usage will be curtailed sharpish!
--
Brian Morrison
                                                          Oscar Wilde
Brian
I will be getting a pair of these shortly for testing, but from early
reports they wipe out everything apart from Band 2,
and that includes DAB and the HF Amateur bands, that will include
RAOTA!
The DoC does not even refer to any EMC compliance standards, just
safety...
l***@eternal-flames.gov
2010-03-27 21:35:46 UTC
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:16:41 -0700 (PDT), Lurcherman
Post by Lurcherman
I will be getting a pair of these shortly for testing, but from early
reports they wipe out everything apart from Band 2,
Stone me... You're commenting on something you have no direct
experience of and _your views_ are based on the reports of others.

Well they're a lot of bloody use, aren't they.

Nick.
Walt Davidson
2010-03-28 09:05:37 UTC
Post by Lurcherman
but from early
reports they wipe out everything apart from Band 2
"Early reports" from UKQRM, I suppose.

Bwaaahahahaha!

73 de Wlat
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
l***@eternal-flames.gov
2010-03-27 21:29:29 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
It will be instructive to see what happens in the VHF air band if one
of these things appears close to a major airport. I suspect that it's
continued usage will be curtailed sharpish!
Do you think there aren't already such systems around airports?.
I would doubt it.

Nick.
Yeti
There won't be - these VHF PLT adaptors are very new.
l***@eternal-flames.gov
2010-03-27 21:39:32 UTC
Post by Yeti
Post by l***@eternal-flames.gov
Post by Brian Morrison
It will be instructive to see what happens in the VHF air band if one
of these things appears close to a major airport. I suspect that it's
continued usage will be curtailed sharpish!
Do you think there aren't already such systems around airports?.
I would doubt it.
Nick.
There won't be - these VHF PLT adaptors are very new.
None at all, eh? Absolutely zero? Nobody near an airport anywhere
in the world has one of these PLTs... Is that what you are saying?

Prove it.

Nick.
Yeti
2010-03-27 21:43:24 UTC
Post by l***@eternal-flames.gov
Post by Yeti
Post by l***@eternal-flames.gov
Post by Brian Morrison
It will be instructive to see what happens in the VHF air band if one
of these things appears close to a major airport. I suspect that it's
continued usage will be curtailed sharpish!
Do you think there aren't already such systems around airports?.
I would doubt it.
Nick.
There won't be - these VHF PLT adaptors are very new.
None at all, eh? Absolutely zero? Nobody near an airport anywhere
in the world has one of these PLTs... Is that what you are saying?
Prove it.
Nick.
It's near impossible to prove something HASN'T happened.

PLT using VHF is new to the market. It's been available for mere weeks,
if that.

Therefore, the chances of the scenario you're harping on about being
something that's happening now are incredibly slim.
l***@eternal-flames.gov
2010-03-27 22:06:51 UTC
Post by Yeti
Post by l***@eternal-flames.gov
Post by Yeti
There won't be - these VHF PLT adaptors are very new.
None at all, eh? Absolutely zero? Nobody near an airport anywhere
in the world has one of these PLTs... Is that what you are saying?
Prove it.
Nick.
It's near impossible to prove something HASN'T happened.
Exactly. So there could well be a hundred such devices in use, in the
close proximity to airports, worldwide. Possibly many more - there are
after all a lot of airports.
Post by Yeti
PLT using VHF is new to the market. It's been available for mere weeks,
if that.
Therefore, the chances of the scenario you're harping on about being
something that's happening now are incredibly slim.
BEHAVE.

Do you honestly believe that (for example) Argos Stores - which has
had them in their new catalogue for about six weeks - won't have sold
any, to anyone living near to an airport?

Then there is North America... How long do you suppose they've had
them over there? CLUE: Look at the FCC Approval date.

I bought mine at the start of this month. I plan using them in
Ireland, to link the house with a room in the back of the garage which
I'm going to turn into a 'shack.'
The garage is slightly detached from the house - about 10 yds.

So far I've only tested them around here, the only thing they effect
is an old plastic-cased VHF/UHF scanner and only in some frequency
ranges. .

Nick.
Morski
2010-03-28 09:05:50 UTC
Post by l***@eternal-flames.gov
So far I've only tested them around here, the only thing they effect
is an old plastic-cased VHF/UHF scanner and only in some frequency
ranges. .
Nick.
Well thats not my experience. Someone installed 2 of the Comtrend types that
BT supply 2 doors away from me, the result, 0.5-30mhz pretty much wiped out.
Yes the amateur bands did have some sort of attempt at being notched, in
reality the amateur bands were still suffering from a noise level of s7 from
these things. Even the MW broadcast band was wiped out here. Now I've not
had any experience of these new Gigabit ones that operate up to 400 mhz, but
if they are anything like the Comtrend ones then we do have a massive
problem on the horizon. It's quite ammusing really just how many people seem
to be able to just laugh the problem off as if it's no problem at all. I
suspect a few of you will soon change your opinion about these devices when
you experience one that does cause noise across the bands. These things
pollute the radio spectrum and should be banned, but it seems as though we
have a regulator that just don't care and is going to allow these things to
continue regardless.
David
2010-03-28 12:00:47 UTC
Post by Morski
These things
pollute the radio spectrum and should be banned, but it seems as though we
have a regulator that just don't care and is going to allow these things to
continue regardless.
If the owner will not co-operate in fixing the problem ie the two of you
contact the supplier and or Ofcom then get your evidence together and present
it to OFCOM. They will react positively to properly presented evidence.

Dave
Ian Jackson
2010-03-28 12:51:10 UTC
Post by David
Post by Morski
These things
pollute the radio spectrum and should be banned, but it seems as though we
have a regulator that just don't care and is going to allow these things to
continue regardless.
If the owner will not co-operate in fixing the problem ie the two of you
contact the supplier and or Ofcom then get your evidence together and present
it to OFCOM. They will react positively to properly presented evidence.
But how often are you ever likely to get that sort of problem resolved
to your complete, absolutely 100% satisfaction?

I suspect that you might get the interference reduced to a more
tolerable level, but probably not as low as you would like it to be - at
least, not on all the frequencies you are interested in, or might (at
some time in the future) become interested in.

There was a time (especially 1960s and 70s) when TVI was a much more
frequent occurrence than it seems to be today. With some types of set,
it was almost inevitable. Tests showed that the majority of cases could
have been avoided if the TV sets had been designed with some relatively
simple built-in precautions (adding little or even nothing to the
manufacturing costs). However, getting the manufacturers to do anything
was like hitting your head against a soft brick wall. They stuck fast to
the policy of "If any problems arise, we will deal with each case on its
merits". I can't say I recall any manufacturer officially getting
involved with any meaningful investigations.

On the relatively rare occasions when the Post Office / Home Office /
MPT / RA got involved, if attempts to solve the problem failed, it was
not unknown for pressure to be put on the amateur to avoid interference
by running lower power, using bands which didn't cause interference, be
a little circumspect about his operating times, and so forth. Even if
they decided that the amateur could go ahead without restrictions, he
usually still felt that he was under an obligation to his neighbour not
to cause interference.

Of course, the boot is now somewhat on the other foot. It's the amateurs
and SWLs who are beginning to get the interference. However, I can't see
the average neighbour having much consideration. Unless he really wants
to 'push things', most average amateurs will be probably be reluctant to
complain at all, and will either suffer the interference, or eventually
take up some other interest. Even if the interference investigators get
involved and have to tell the neighbour to desist from using the
offending equipment, I can't see them willingly doing this - and many
will continue as normal. The end result is a foregone conclusion. We're
going to get interference, and those who could stop it are not going to.
Ian
Brian Morrison
2010-03-28 13:41:55 UTC
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:00:47 +0100
Post by David
Post by Morski
These things
pollute the radio spectrum and should be banned, but it seems as though we
have a regulator that just don't care and is going to allow these things to
continue regardless.
If the owner will not co-operate in fixing the problem ie the two of you
contact the supplier and or Ofcom then get your evidence together and present
it to OFCOM. They will react positively to properly presented evidence.
Ofcom state that, should the owner refuse to cooperate, they don't have
the powers to compel them to take these devices out of use. I assume
this is all tied up with the disagreement as to what "cause harmful
interference" actually means. It seems one needs to be a highly trained
lawyer to understand it properly, while ignoring the evidence of
one's eyes and ears.
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
David
2010-03-28 14:16:03 UTC
I have spoken about one issue with these devices before. I had the
cooperation of the guy causing the problem and together we got a letter from
OFCOM which got BT to replace the devices. That was 100% success for me!

We have an going another problem with Comtrend devices locally at the club
location, not identical because the problem is being caused by the devices in
a part time fire station. However we are waiting for their response before
moving on to OFCOM.

You are quiet right on the definition of harm but I am firmly convinced that
producing the evidence yourself and presenting it in a polite non-aggressive
manor will help anyone's case with the authorities if it needs to get that
far.
Going in hatches battened and preparing to repel borders will never work with
a non-commercial service.

Dave

l***@eternal-flames.gov
2010-03-27 21:25:43 UTC
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:58:13 -0700 (PDT), Lurcherman
Post by Lurcherman
Post by l***@eternal-flames.gov
I see the RSGB have been given £250K by .gov, to do up BP.
http://www.rsgb.org/news/articlelinks.php?id=0061
How dare anyone suggest any correlation between that and the decision
to slow down in their planned action against DuffCom.
Nick.
Where does it say that the RSGB have been given this money?, absolute
crap..
Don't get your muzzle in a twist.
You weren't the bite of choice for this bait.

when I'm baiting you.
Post by Lurcherman
The BP management may have, not the RSGB
I know that, you old dog, you.
Just take a look at how they headlined it though.

Post by Lurcherman
hopefully you will be surrounded by the PLA stuff, then lets see who
comes crying.
The funny thing is old son. I have PLT here in the house and am not
having any significant problems at all.

Now roll over and play dead.

Nick.
DieSea
2010-03-27 22:14:16 UTC
Post by l***@eternal-flames.gov
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:58:13 -0700 (PDT), Lurcherman
Now roll over and play dead.
Nick.
Go on Nick wind him up

I need some entertainment

With Connor , Dick Heed Jumbo and Len and a multitude more in the sin bin things
are getting a bit quiet round here

:-((((((((((((((((((((

DieSea
l***@eternal-flames.gov
2010-03-27 22:25:46 UTC
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:14:16 -0000, "DieSea"
Post by DieSea
Post by l***@eternal-flames.gov
Now roll over and play dead.
Nick.
Go on Nick wind him up
I need some entertainment
With Connor , Dick Heed Jumbo and Len and a multitude more in the sin bin things
are getting a bit quiet round here
:-((((((((((((((((((((
DieSea
I agree. You just can't get the wood these days.

I had hoped for a bite from Len on the mention of the RSGB thing. An
hour or so insulting him, could have been quite entertaining. ;-)

Nick.
Len GM0ONX
2010-03-27 22:33:55 UTC
Post by DieSea
Post by l***@eternal-flames.gov
Now roll over and play dead.
Nick.
Go on Nick wind him up
I need some entertainment
With Connor , Dick Heed Jumbo and Len and a multitude more in the sin bin things
are getting a bit quiet round here
:-((((((((((((((((((((
DieSea
I agree. You just can't get the wood these days.
I had hoped for a bite from Len on the mention of the RSGB thing. An
hour or so insulting him, could have been quite entertaining. ;-)
Nick.
I've packed in my all RSGB stuff, see the light!

Len GM0ONX
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI
2010-03-27 23:41:57 UTC
Post by DieSea
Post by l***@eternal-flames.gov
Now roll over and play dead.
Nick.
Go on Nick wind him up
I need some entertainment
With Connor , Dick Heed Jumbo and Len and a multitude more in the sin
bin things are getting a bit quiet round here
:-((((((((((((((((((((
DieSea
I agree. You just can't get the wood these days.
I had hoped for a bite from Len on the mention of the RSGB thing. An
hour or so insulting him, could have been quite entertaining. ;-)
Nick.
I've packed in my all RSGB stuff, see the light!
Len GM0ONX
That won't impress the Prince of Darkness!
--
;-)
.
http://turner-smith.co.uk
Len GM0ONX
2010-03-28 00:17:33 UTC
Post by DieSea
Post by l***@eternal-flames.gov
Now roll over and play dead.
Nick.
Go on Nick wind him up
I need some entertainment
With Connor , Dick Heed Jumbo and Len and a multitude more in the
sin bin things are getting a bit quiet round here
:-((((((((((((((((((((
DieSea
I agree. You just can't get the wood these days.
I had hoped for a bite from Len on the mention of the RSGB thing. An
hour or so insulting him, could have been quite entertaining. ;-)
Nick.
I've packed in my all RSGB stuff, see the light!
Len GM0ONX
Tat won't impress the Prince of Darkness!
Nothin' impresses him!
l***@eternal-flames.gov
2010-03-28 06:52:20 UTC
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:33:55 +0000, Len GM0ONX
Post by Len GM0ONX
I've packed in my all RSGB stuff, see the light!
Len GM0ONX
I think you'll find that's a train coming the other way. :-).

Nick.
Yeti
2010-03-27 21:29:37 UTC
Post by Lurcherman
hopefully you will be surrounded by the PLA stuff, then lets see who
comes crying.
Behave yourself. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.