QO-100
Julian Macassey
2023-09-19 18:55:48 UTC
Are there any lurkers here using QO-100? Terrain
permitting, I'm thinking of giving it a go.
--
People come on Facebook and they talk about so many things that
are irrelevant. - Rose Wong, former math teacher, 102 years old
Brian Morrison
2023-09-19 19:10:19 UTC
On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 18:55:48 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Julian Macassey
Are there any lurkers here using QO-100? Terrain
permitting, I'm thinking of giving it a go.
Where are you located? I don't know whether it will be usable from
where your callsign suggests you are.
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
Julian Macassey
2023-09-20 00:43:39 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Are there any lurkers here using QO-100? Terrain
permitting, I'm thinking of giving it a go.
Where are you located? I don't know whether it will be usable from
where your callsign suggests you are.
56 degs North (Dundee), judging from all the dishes I
see screwed on the side of buildings, it looks like I should get
access, trees and nearby buildings permitting.
--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan
Brian Morrison
2023-09-20 17:02:11 UTC
On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 00:43:39 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Julian Macassey
Are there any lurkers here using QO-100? Terrain
permitting, I'm thinking of giving it a go.
Where are you located? I don't know whether it will be usable from
where your callsign suggests you are.
56 degs North (Dundee),
Ah, so not in W6- (or even N6-) land. I had no idea that you were in
the UK.
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
Julian Macassey
2023-09-23 10:36:35 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Julian Macassey
Post by Brian Morrison
Where are you located? I don't know whether it will be usable from
where your callsign suggests you are.
56 degs North (Dundee),
Ah, so not in W6- (or even N6-) land. I had no idea that you were in
the UK.
How does GM8LUK work?
--
"We used to quip that "password" is the most common password. Now
it's 'password1. ' Who said users haven't learned anything about
security?" -- Bruce Schneier
mm0fmf
2023-09-23 13:50:09 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
How does GM8LUK work?
How does GM8LUK work what?
Brian Morrison
2023-09-24 01:13:15 UTC
On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 10:36:35 -0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:02:11 +0100, Brian Morrison
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Julian Macassey
56 degs North (Dundee),
Ah, so not in W6- (or even N6-) land. I had no idea that you were in
the UK.
How does GM8LUK work?
It tells me that you are in GM-land, but I can't find any information
on where exactly.
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
Julian Macassey
2023-09-24 13:17:49 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Julian Macassey
56 degs North (Dundee),
Ah, so not in W6- (or even N6-) land. I had no idea that you were in
the UK.
How does GM8LUK work?
It tells me that you are in GM-land, but I can't find any information
on where exactly.
See above:56 degs North (Dundee),
--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan
Brian Morrison
2023-09-24 19:08:35 UTC
On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 13:17:49 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Julian Macassey
Post by Brian Morrison
It tells me that you are in GM-land, but I can't find any
information on where exactly.
See above:56 degs North (Dundee),
Yes, but I was after a position to <0.05mm

;-)
--
Brian Morrison

Oscar Wilde
brian
2023-09-19 22:07:17 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Are there any lurkers here using QO-100? Terrain
permitting, I'm thinking of giving it a go.
Only on receive on 10 GHz . I've an SG-Labs transverter and a 20W
amplifier I use on 13cm but not got round to trying it on QO-100.The
SG-Labs transverter can be programmed to work on the up link. SG Labs
sell a 20W amp for QO-100, but mine is the 2320 version, but it will
work up there with reduced output.

I used an 80cm dish, but you can hear it just pointing an LNB. I
modified an LNB to feed in an external 25MHz LO. IF was a funcube dongle
.

There's a time of day when the sun is at the correct azimuth for dish
alignment to see if buildings get in the way.

Brian GM4DIJ
Brian Howie
Julian Macassey
2023-09-20 01:36:38 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Are there any lurkers here using QO-100? Terrain
permitting, I'm thinking of giving it a go.
Only on receive on 10 GHz.
I'm thinking of the Bullseye LNB for my 10 GHz downlink.
I've an SG-Labs transverter and a 20W
amplifier I use on 13cm but not got round to trying it on QO-100.The
SG-Labs transverter can be programmed to work on the up link.
I'm leaning towards an SDR for feeding the LNB, which I
can also use for general SWL use.
SG Labs
sell a 20W amp for QO-100, but mine is the 2320 version, but it will
work up there with reduced output.
AMSAT have a 5W amp. I am planning on being about 2
Meters from the dish, so keeping all the RF parts besides the
LNB and uplink antenna inside the flat and warm and dry.
I used an 80cm dish, but you can hear it just pointing an LNB. I
modified an LNB to feed in an external 25MHz LO. IF was a funcube dongle
From what I read, a dish about 1 Meter would be ideal
and not so big that questions would be asked.

Scratching the back of an envelope, it looks all looks
very affordable.
There's a time of day when the sun is at the correct azimuth for dish
alignment to see if buildings get in the way.
Good to know. How do I find out how to do that?
"Our nation is turning into an idiocracy." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
brian
2023-09-20 16:41:42 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Post by brian
There's a time of day when the sun is at the correct azimuth for dish
alignment to see if buildings get in the way.
Good to know. How do I find out how to do that?
Https://eshail.batc.org.uk/point/

Put in your location and get the azimuth angle.

Mine is Azimuth: 143.8° (145.3° magnetic)

Elevation: 21.5°

https://gml.noaa.gov/grad/solcalc/

Then adjust the time at your location so that the solar azimuth is the
same.

Mine is 11.12 British Summer Time for today.

If you are really clever, you can get a date and time when the sun and
the satellite are in the same position. This occurs in Spring and
Autumn,

10.49 BST on 12th October,

I'm sure I found a site where it was a lot simpler to work out. It
needs a reverse solar time/azimuth calculator

Brian
Brian Howie
Jim GM4DHJ ...
thought you didn't like repeaters?
brian
2023-09-20 15:22:55 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by brian
      Are there any lurkers here using QO-100? Terrain
permitting, I'm thinking of giving it a go.
Only on receive on 10 GHz . I've an SG-Labs transverter and a 20W
amplifier   I use on 13cm but not got round to trying it on QO-100.The
SG-Labs transverter can be programmed to work on the up link. SG Labs
sell a 20W amp for QO-100, but mine is the 2320 version, but it will
work up there with reduced output.
 I used an 80cm dish, but you can hear it just pointing an LNB. I
modified an LNB to feed in an external 25MHz LO. IF was a funcube dongle .
There's a time of day when the sun is at the correct azimuth  for
dish alignment to see if buildings get in the way.
Brian GM4DIJ
thought you didn't like repeaters?
The Great Repeater in the sky.

Bleep-dah-di-dah

I think it was listening to the traffic on it that put me off going
further . I'm a sort of "try anything once" guy. I was the same with
Oscar 7 - a couple of QSOs and that was it. Some day I'll try EME.

Brian
GM4DIJ
Brian Howie
jim.gm4dhj
indeed
A. non Eyemouse
2023-09-22 10:25:31 UTC
Post by jim.gm4dhj
Post by brian
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
[...]
Is Oscar 7 still alive? IIRC It was heard a few years ago in sunlight
because the batteries had gone o/c.
--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.