Quick reminder that Baofengs are cancer.
Ottavio Caruso
2024-02-20 10:05:10 UTC
Have you got a problem with that? I'll catch you outside.

Seriously, why is it that anytime you are online, a Yank jumps in and
writes "Buy a *feng". Do these idiots get commissions?
Ottavio Caruso
Julian Macassey
2024-02-20 11:24:47 UTC
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:05:10 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Have you got a problem with that? I'll catch you outside.
Seriously, why is it that anytime you are online, a Yank jumps in and
writes "Buy a *feng". Do these idiots get commissions?
So, how are they a cancer?

Cheap, flxible, programable.

Cheaper than Katie Price.
--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan
mm0fmf
2024-02-20 13:13:05 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Have you got a problem with that? I'll catch you outside.
Seriously, why is it that anytime you are online, a Yank jumps in and
writes "Buy a *feng". Do these idiots get commissions?
So, how are they a cancer?
Cheap, flxible, programable.
Cheaper than Katie Price.
Most of them are completely fucking useless when there's any nearby
sources of RF or you put a better antenna on them.
Julian Macassey
2024-02-20 17:16:23 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Have you got a problem with that? I'll catch you outside.
Seriously, why is it that anytime you are online, a Yank jumps in and
writes "Buy a *feng". Do these idiots get commissions?
So, how are they a cancer?
Cheap, flxible, programable.
Cheaper than Katie Price.
Most of them are completely fucking useless when there's any nearby
sources of RF or you put a better antenna on them.
Well, I have used them UV-5R to UV-5R, of course for the money I
don't expect much, but when you can buy a UV-5R, a steak dinner and a bottle
of plonk plus change with a hundred quid note, that's not a bad deal.

You would think with walkie-talkies so cheap the 2M band would be
clogged, but it seems not.
--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan
Ottavio Caruso
2024-02-20 14:43:45 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Have you got a problem with that? I'll catch you outside.
Seriously, why is it that anytime you are online, a Yank jumps in and
writes "Buy a *feng". Do these idiots get commissions?
So, how are they a cancer?
Yes.
Post by Julian Macassey
Cheap, flxible, programable.
They are basically illegal, as they surely don't comply with EU rules
(they might do now, since the UK is out). Even the CE logo is fake. They
are difficult to program. They attract the wrong crowd.
Post by Julian Macassey
Cheaper than Katie Price.
You're wrong on this too.
Ottavio Caruso
Julian Macassey
2024-02-20 17:26:06 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Cheap, flxible, programable.
They are basically illegal, as they surely don't comply with EU rules
(they might do now, since the UK is out). Even the CE logo is fake.
They are difficult to program.
There is software that helps and you can programme it to listen
outside the amateur bands.
Post by Ottavio Caruso
They attract the wrong crowd.
Obviously a very quiet crowd.
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Julian Macassey
Cheaper than Katie Price.
You're wrong on this too.
Katie is not cheap? Well if you add the price of the rubber tits.
--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan
A. non Eyemouse
2024-02-20 18:04:20 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Have you got a problem with that? I'll catch you outside.
Seriously, why is it that anytime you are online, a Yank jumps in and
writes "Buy a *feng". Do these idiots get commissions?
So, how are they a cancer?
Yes.
Only in the state of california.
Post by Julian Macassey
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Julian Macassey
Cheap, flxible, programable.
They are basically illegal, as they surely don't comply with EU rules
(they might do now, since the UK is out). Even the CE logo is fake.
As a Radio Amateur you're entitled to design/build your own equipment as
you're responsible for ensuring it's stability, spectral purity etc.

Take a look at Ofcom's Interface Requirements and decide which ones you
think apply. Bonus question - what has replaced the CE marking in the UK?
Post by Julian Macassey
Post by Ottavio Caruso
They are difficult to program.
No more than equivalent Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu models.
Post by Julian Macassey
There is software that helps and you can programme it to listen
outside the amateur bands.
Chirp (and others). Listen? How many "hammy mens" have them programmed
up on 446MHz and UK simple light frequencies?
Post by Julian Macassey
Post by Ottavio Caruso
They attract the wrong crowd.
<snipped> I'm all out of LOLs now.