News Archived in Perpetuity
Lightclock
2024-07-04 19:30:32 UTC
First it was Virgin Media removing write access to their NNTP service.
Google Groups have done the same with their NNTP <=> HTTP service now.
Original Usenet service is OK with a small subscription fee. I'm officially
in old age now like all the classical "commonly known telnet sockets". I
don't like it. There is no upside to it.

Andy G8OZD
Personal Website http://notalan.net
Roger Hayter
2024-07-04 19:52:43 UTC
Post by Lightclock
First it was Virgin Media removing write access to their NNTP service.
Google Groups have done the same with their NNTP <=> HTTP service now.
Original Usenet service is OK with a small subscription fee. I'm officially
in old age now like all the classical "commonly known telnet sockets". I
don't like it. There is no upside to it.
Andy G8OZD
The only tiny upside to it is that at least people won't be able to post from
Google Groups.
Roger Hayter
Jim GM4DHJ ...
woo hoo
Ottavio Caruso
2024-08-05 13:17:31 UTC
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Lightclock
First it was Virgin Media removing write access to their NNTP service.
Google Groups have done the same with their NNTP <=> HTTP service now.
Original Usenet service is OK with a small subscription fee. I'm officially
in old age now like all the classical "commonly known telnet sockets". I
don't like it. There is no upside to it.
Andy G8OZD
The only tiny upside to it is that at least people won't be able to post from
Google Groups.
True, but what they could and should have done is to keep the gateway
read-only. It's a pain now to search the Usenet. Narkive is
unpredictable. There are other 3rd party tools which are r/w (like
Rocksolid) and potentially open to abuse.
Ottavio Caruso
A. non Eyemouse
2024-08-13 10:55:31 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Lightclock
First it was Virgin Media removing write access to their NNTP service.
  Google Groups have done the same with their NNTP <=> HTTP service now.
  Original Usenet service is OK with a small subscription fee. I'm
officially
  in old age now like all the classical "commonly known telnet
sockets". I
  don't like it. There is no upside to it.
Andy G8OZD
The only tiny upside to it is that at least people won't be able to post from
Google Groups.
True, but what they could and should have done is to keep the gateway
read-only. It's a pain now to search the Usenet. Narkive is
unpredictable. There are other 3rd party tools which are r/w (like
Rocksolid) and potentially open to abuse.
If you're serious about usenet archives then Giganews claim to have 20+
years retention on text groups, including everything with X-no-archive
set. You'll have to pull down all the headers and process it yourself
though.
--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
[...]