How big a hat? 10 gallons?
2018-02-03 16:56:22 UTC
But only if we are CowBoys (CB) :-)

As far as I can see, the radius of a capacity hat must be
the difference between the vertical's length and the
1/4 wave length of the desired band?

AIUI, the waves progressing in all directions in the capacity
hat cancel each other's fields resulting in no radiation, but
the transit time to the edge of the hat and back act as the
required element extension.
mm0fmf
So why couldn't you tune the FT-101's PA?
Bernie
2018-02-03 19:37:36 UTC
On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 16:56:22 +0000
But only if we are CowBoys (CB) :-)
Have you ever thought about getting a different vapour-hobby, Gareth?

How about vapour-cycling? There's a couple of cycling groups where you
could ask all sorts of new questions.
Brian Reay
2018-02-04 00:05:03 UTC
Post by Bernie
On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 16:56:22 +0000
But only if we are CowBoys (CB) :-)
Have you ever thought about getting a different vapour-hobby, Gareth?
I think he has a several already.

I knew someone who used to build very good model steam engines- real
master pieces. It seems that, typically, you buy a number of,
essentially 'unfinished components' - wheel, cylinder castings perhaps,
... mainly cast parts that need finishing. You need to machine them, I'm
not suggesting you just clip them together like Lego etc, you need
skill will machines and hand tools. You need to make and test a boiler,
all the chassis etc, mainly if not all, from raw material- again skill
with hand and machine tools. I'd not like to try it with my dexterity.

It seems the 'unfinished component' kits/packs aren't cheap so the
'wise' by them from the wanna be's, or their estate sales, when
untouched packs, unused tools, etc can be bought for the proverbial
song. Unlike amateur radio, where (say) an untouched Kn kit may not be
considered worth building in several decades time (as fine a radio as it
may be considered today), things don't change so quickly in the world of
steam - part of the charm I suspect.
are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Jim GM4DHJ ...
that is a shame you need a new hobby to keep you off here ......
Spike
2018-02-04 16:56:31 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
I knew someone who used to build very good model steam engines- real
master pieces. You need to
make and test a boiler, all the chassis etc, mainly if not all, from
raw material- again skill with hand and machine tools. I'd not like to
try it with my dexterity.
that is a shame you need a new hobby to keep you off here ......
Didn't playing 'R Sole of the Bailey' over in ulm work out, then?

Too many burns, I assume.

"RSGBTech is meant for everyone", or so the web site says.....
The site is moderated 'to ensure that the questions are on topic',
but the guidelines mention (a pre-) 'vet', 'known', 'trouble', and
'maker', but not the vetting policy! Is it mere personal prejudice?
Rambo
Have you noticed ..he always seems to "know" someone who......
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-02-04 17:28:14 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Brian Reay
I knew someone who used to build very good model steam engines- real
master pieces. It seems that, typically, you buy a number of,
essentially 'unfinished components' - wheel, cylinder castings perhaps,
... mainly cast parts that need finishing. You need to machine them, I'm
not suggesting you just clip them together like Lego etc, you need
skill will machines and hand tools. You need to make and test a boiler,
all the chassis etc, mainly if not all, from raw material- again skill
with hand and machine tools. I'd not like to try it with my dexterity.
that is a shame you need a new hobby to keep you off here ......
Have you noticed ..he always seems to "know" someone who......
well if they are like his friend who said I wanted to join the masons they
don't exist...tee hee
Rambo
2018-02-04 17:32:56 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Brian Reay
I knew someone who used to build very good model steam engines- real
master pieces. It seems that, typically, you buy a number of,
essentially 'unfinished components' - wheel, cylinder castings perhaps,
... mainly cast parts that need finishing. You need to machine them, I'm
not suggesting you just clip them together like Lego etc, you need
skill will machines and hand tools. You need to make and test a boiler,
all the chassis etc, mainly if not all, from raw material- again skill
with hand and machine tools. I'd not like to try it with my dexterity.
that is a shame you need a new hobby to keep you off here ......
Have you noticed ..he always seems to "know" someone who......
well if they are like his friend who said I wanted to join the masons they
don't exist...tee hee
He has a lot of vapour "friends" and "contacts".