Southgate Amateur Radio News for Thursday 8 March 2018
Southgate Amateur Radio News RSS Feed
2018-03-08 11:50:01 UTC
Southgate Amateur Radio News RSS Feed

GB7IC nears 2000 D-STAR callsign registrations!

The Icom UK D-STAR repeater, GB7IC, nears the magical figure of 2000 D-STAR
callsign registrations. GB7IC's first registration was way back in April
2008, and ten years later nearly 2000 people have registered via our
repeater to the gatewa

Swedish regulator proposes ham radio power reduction

Sweden's IARU member-society the SSA report the communications regulator,
PTS, is planning to introduce new amateur radio regulations on November 1,
2018. The current rules for amateur radio came into force in 2016

Tony's 10m Band Report

Not a lot of stations about at all till the weekend. Best DX, all weekend
8P5A (Barbados), with XR0YD (Easter Is) Saturday and 4M6R (Venezuela) on
Sunday. I managed to work Sri Lanka but on 17m FT8

Extension of 10 small-scale DAB radio trials

Ofcom has written to the 10 small-scale DAB triallists to propose further
extending their trial licences until 31 March 2020

Cameroon DXpedition

Members of the Italian DXpedition Team (IDT) will be active as TJ3TT from
the Republic of Cameroon between March 15-29th

WC Summits On The Air Dinner

Last year, we had 15 people get together for an informal dinner in south
Denver (Lone Tree). It was so much fun meeting people and swapping SOTA
stories that we are going to do it again this year

IOTA news from the DARC

Compiled by Andreas, DK5ON of the Deutscher Amateur Radio Club
Gareth's Downstairs Computer
2018-03-08 12:06:38 UTC
Post by Southgate Amateur Radio News RSS Feed
The Icom UK D-STAR repeater, GB7IC, nears the magical figure of 2000
D-STAR callsign registrations. GB7IC's first registration was way back
in April 2008, and ten years later nearly 2000 people have registered
via our repeater to the gateway
Presumambly all CBers and fools' licensees wanting BBC quality
telephone conversations, for whatevet else it is, it is definitely
not amateur radio.
Ian Jackson
2018-03-08 13:22:09 UTC
Post by Southgate Amateur Radio News RSS Feed
The Icom UK D-STAR repeater, GB7IC, nears the magical figure of 2000
D-STAR callsign registrations. GB7IC's first registration was way back
in April 2008, and ten years later nearly 2000 people have registered
via our repeater to the gateway
Presumambly all CBers and fools' licensees wanting BBC quality
telephone conversations, for whatevet else it is, it is definitely
not amateur radio.
While it's undeniable that all this modern stuff is wonderful, I'm not
sure that I really approve of having to 'register' for anything that
uses the amateur bands.
Ian
Brian Reay
2018-03-08 14:12:30 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
 The Icom UK D-STAR repeater, GB7IC, nears the magical figure of 2000
D-STAR callsign registrations. GB7IC's first registration was way
back in April 2008, and ten years later nearly 2000 people have
registered via our repeater to the gateway
Presumambly all CBers and fools' licensees wanting BBC quality
telephone conversations, for whatevet else it is, it is definitely
not amateur radio.
While it's undeniable that all this modern stuff is wonderful, I'm not
sure that I really approve of having to 'register' for anything that
uses the amateur bands.
You need to have a licence, at least to transmit.

As for the registration process for DSTAR, assuming it is similar to
that for the DMR system, it is a formality - provided you have a
licence. It just assigns a number you put into your radio so it
identifies it on the system.
are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Spike
2018-03-08 21:02:24 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
As for the registration process for DSTAR, assuming it is similar to
that for the DMR system, it is a formality - provided you have a
licence. It just assigns a number you put into your radio so it
identifies it on the system.
Admission to RSGBTech is supposed to be a formality, according to the
RSGB, but look what turned up - so your honeyed words hardly reflect the
state of play in some areas at least.

The registration process for DSTAR is regretfully an opportunity for
Little Hitlers to come out and play - not that I'm saying any involved
in the process are in fact playing Littler Hitlers, but the opportunity
is there - and it wouldn't be the first time that systems in the AR
field of endeavour have been compromised in this way.

"RSGBTech is meant for everyone", or so the RSGB says. The group is
moderated 'to
ensure that the questions are on topic', but the group's own admissions
policy mention
(a pre-) 'vet', 'known', 'trouble', and 'maker', but not the vetting
policy! None of these are
'moderation' issues and none are mentioned in the RSGB's Guidelines.....
Stephen Thomas Cole
2018-03-08 21:23:02 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Brian Reay
As for the registration process for DSTAR, assuming it is similar to
that for the DMR system, it is a formality - provided you have a
licence. It just assigns a number you put into your radio so it
identifies it on the system.
Admission to RSGBTech is supposed to be a formality
Couldn't be simpler, Burt; I didn't even have to apply! Very efficient, a
credit to the RSGB!
--
STC / M0TEY /
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Rambo
2018-03-08 21:47:56 UTC
On 8 Mar 2018 21:23:02 GMT, Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Spike
Post by Brian Reay
As for the registration process for DSTAR, assuming it is similar to
that for the DMR system, it is a formality - provided you have a
licence. It just assigns a number you put into your radio so it
identifies it on the system.
Admission to RSGBTech is supposed to be a formality
Couldn't be simpler, Burt; I didn't even have to apply!
Carry on as you are doing and you'll be chucked out!

Are "Lefties" allowed?
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
you a mason then? .....
Spike
2018-03-09 09:54:11 UTC
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Couldn't be simpler, Burt; I didn't even have to apply! Very efficient, a
credit to the RSGB!
you a mason then? .....
Why does the phrase 'thick as a brick' spring to mind?

Stephen Thomas Troll
2018-03-09 10:11:12 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Couldn't be simpler, Burt; I didn't even have to apply! Very
efficient, a credit to the RSGB!
you a mason then? .....
Why does the phrase 'thick as a brick' spring to mind?
Burt, go on, Burt! Burt, sing us a song about The Waves, Burt. Burt, sing
it in language that only you are clever enough to understand, Burt.

Burt, Thanks, Burt.
Roger Hayter
2018-03-09 10:23:35 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Spike
Post by Brian Reay
As for the registration process for DSTAR, assuming it is similar to
that for the DMR system, it is a formality - provided you have a
licence. It just assigns a number you put into your radio so it
identifies it on the system.
Admission to RSGBTech is supposed to be a formality
Couldn't be simpler, Burt; I didn't even have to apply! Very efficient, a
credit to the RSGB!
You did have to manage some pretty intensive long-term sycophancy with a
not wholly sympathetic character first though. I think *I* could have
got in that way!
Roger Hayter
Spike

Stephen Thomas Cole
2018-03-09 15:11:52 UTC
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Spike
Post by Brian Reay
As for the registration process for DSTAR, assuming it is similar to
that for the DMR system, it is a formality - provided you have a
licence. It just assigns a number you put into your radio so it
identifies it on the system.
Admission to RSGBTech is supposed to be a formality
Couldn't be simpler, Burt; I didn't even have to apply! Very efficient, a
credit to the RSGB!
You did have to manage some pretty intensive long-term sycophancy with a
not wholly sympathetic character first though. I think *I* could have
got in that way!
All that envy's not a good look for you, mate.
Roger Hayter
Roger Hayter
mm0fmf
Preparation Hayter works.
Stephen Thomas Cole
2018-03-09 18:06:53 UTC
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Spike
Post by Brian Reay
As for the registration process for DSTAR, assuming it is similar to
that for the DMR system, it is a formality - provided you have a
licence. It just assigns a number you put into your radio so it
identifies it on the system.
Admission to RSGBTech is supposed to be a formality
Couldn't be simpler, Burt; I didn't even have to apply! Very efficient, a
credit to the RSGB!
You did have to manage some pretty intensive long-term sycophancy with a
not wholly sympathetic character first though. I think *I* could have
got in that way!
Preparation Hayter works.
Satisfaction guaranteed!
mm0fmf
Burt can vouch that, on the (w)hole, it is very soothing.
Brian Reay
2018-03-09 07:25:11 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Brian Reay
As for the registration process for DSTAR, assuming it is similar to
that for the DMR system, it is a formality - provided you have a
licence. It just assigns a number you put into your radio so it
identifies it on the system.
Admission to RSGBTech is supposed to be a formality, according to the
RSGB, but look what turned up - so your honeyed words hardly reflect the
state of play in some areas at least.
The registration process for DSTAR is regretfully an opportunity for
Little Hitlers to come out and play - not that I'm saying any involved
in the process are in fact playing Littler Hitlers, but the opportunity
is there - and it wouldn't be the first time that systems in the AR
field of endeavour have been compromised in this way.
Don't worry Spike, the type of people you are worried about- eg those
who invent special criteria/titles such as "Class A Licenses" - are too
busy ranting and raving to actually become involved in anything
productive which contributes to amateur radio.

Jim.GM4DHJ ...
sour grapes from class Bs.......
Spike
2018-03-09 09:53:48 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Spike
Post by Brian Reay
[...]
You can always tell a teacher, but you can't tell him much - although we
do our best in the interests of AR.

I see your legal group charm offensive has run out of steam, so it's
obviously back to your ad-hom fall-back position.

Jim.GM4DHJ ...
professional little hitlers .......
Rob
2018-03-08 14:20:14 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
Post by Southgate Amateur Radio News RSS Feed
The Icom UK D-STAR repeater, GB7IC, nears the magical figure of 2000
D-STAR callsign registrations. GB7IC's first registration was way back
in April 2008, and ten years later nearly 2000 people have registered
via our repeater to the gateway
Presumambly all CBers and fools' licensees wanting BBC quality
telephone conversations, for whatevet else it is, it is definitely
not amateur radio.
While it's undeniable that all this modern stuff is wonderful, I'm not
sure that I really approve of having to 'register' for anything that
uses the amateur bands.
Here in the Netherlands you need to register to use the amateur bands at
all. There is no license anymore, you only need to register a callsign.

(pitfall: to register a callsign you need to logon to some webpage
for which you require a username and password which you get only after
passing an exam)
Brian Morrison
2018-03-08 16:13:36 UTC
On 08 Mar 2018 14:20:14 GMT
Post by Rob
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
Interesting, I discovered today that this is also true of Sweden
although there are moves there to vary the power limit and charge people
quite a lot for staying at the current 1kW limit as opposed to the
proposed 200W limit.
Brian Morrison
Brian Reay
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
On 08 Mar 2018 14:20:14 GMT
Post by Rob
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
The Swedish National society have been issuing the amateur
licences for some years. It has been mentioned on here in the
past.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Brian Morrison
2018-03-08 19:20:08 UTC
On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 18:03:47 +0000 (GMT+00:00)
Post by Brian Reay
The Swedish National society have been issuing the amateur
licences for some years. It has been mentioned on here in the
past.
I missed that. Something on the Southgate news clued me in earlier
today.
Brian Morrison
mm0fmf
2018-03-08 19:54:23 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
Post by Southgate Amateur Radio News RSS Feed
The Icom UK D-STAR repeater, GB7IC, nears the magical figure of 2000
D-STAR callsign registrations. GB7IC's first registration was way
back in April 2008, and ten years later nearly 2000 people have
registered via our repeater to the gateway
Presumambly all CBers and fools' licensees wanting BBC quality
telephone conversations, for whatevet else it is, it is definitely
not amateur radio.
While it's undeniable that all this modern stuff is wonderful, I'm not
sure that I really approve of having to 'register' for anything that
uses the amateur bands.
You don't need to register to use the repeater as a radio repeater. You
only need to register if you want to use the repeater when it is linked
to via the net to other repeaters etc.
Rob
2018-03-08 23:20:43 UTC
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
Post by Southgate Amateur Radio News RSS Feed
The Icom UK D-STAR repeater, GB7IC, nears the magical figure of 2000
D-STAR callsign registrations. GB7IC's first registration was way
back in April 2008, and ten years later nearly 2000 people have
registered via our repeater to the gateway
Presumambly all CBers and fools' licensees wanting BBC quality
telephone conversations, for whatevet else it is, it is definitely
not amateur radio.
While it's undeniable that all this modern stuff is wonderful, I'm not
sure that I really approve of having to 'register' for anything that
uses the amateur bands.
You don't need to register to use the repeater as a radio repeater. You
only need to register if you want to use the repeater when it is linked
to via the net to other repeaters etc.
For D-Star, yes. For DMR it is always required to register because
DMR uses numerical IDs which have to be mapped to callsigns using some
registration system. Nowadays, these registration systems have been
combined.
mm0fmf
2018-03-09 17:31:53 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
The story is about a D-STAR repeater hence writing about D-STAR
registration not being needed for radio use only. DMR was not mentioned.
Rob
2018-03-10 08:38:21 UTC
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Rob
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
As far as I understand the matter (I am not QRV on digital voice modes)
the repeaters here are now mostly on the "Brandmeister" network and there
is only a single registration for both D-Star and DMR. So I wrote it
is a combined registration. I think it is still true that you need
to register only to use the network when using D-Star (and always for DMR).
But I could be wrong there.

Roger Hayter
2018-03-09 10:23:37 UTC
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
Post by Southgate Amateur Radio News RSS Feed
The Icom UK D-STAR repeater, GB7IC, nears the magical figure of 2000
D-STAR callsign registrations. GB7IC's first registration was way
back in April 2008, and ten years later nearly 2000 people have
registered via our repeater to the gateway
Presumambly all CBers and fools' licensees wanting BBC quality
telephone conversations, for whatevet else it is, it is definitely
not amateur radio.
While it's undeniable that all this modern stuff is wonderful, I'm not
sure that I really approve of having to 'register' for anything that
uses the amateur bands.
You don't need to register to use the repeater as a radio repeater. You
only need to register if you want to use the repeater when it is linked
to via the net to other repeaters etc.
Thanks, that's very useful to know.
--
Roger Hayter