Battery Selling Scumbags
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2018-03-26 22:12:23 UTC
Hi,

When buying laptop batteries, I have always checked the .co.uk domain
via a WHOIS search. I do this because the vast majority of these are
registered in China. I recently ordered a battery from a place that
the domain is registered in the UK. The paypal receipt came from
another .co.uk company that I had rejected.

The company I used was Batteries Mal
http://www.batteries-mall.co.uk/l, but the receipt came from
laptopbattery4u.co.uk, which is an outfit with the registrant in
China.

There has to be a reason why there dregs try to make out that they are
in the UK.
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Brian Reay
2018-03-26 22:17:52 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi,
When buying laptop batteries, I have always checked the .co.uk domain
via a WHOIS search. I do this because the vast majority of these are
registered in China. I recently ordered a battery from a place that
the domain is registered in the UK. The paypal receipt came from
another .co.uk company that I had rejected.
The company I used was Batteries Mal
http://www.batteries-mall.co.uk/l, but the receipt came from
laptopbattery4u.co.uk, which is an outfit with the registrant in
China.
There has to be a reason why there dregs try to make out that they are
in the UK.
Wherever the company is, chances are at least the source batteries/cells
come from the same place. I've had some duff ones from 'UK' sources and
good ones from China/Far East. The advantage with the UK is, sometimes
you can send them back under warranty.
are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Roger Hayter
2018-03-26 22:22:57 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi,
When buying laptop batteries, I have always checked the .co.uk domain
via a WHOIS search. I do this because the vast majority of these are
registered in China. I recently ordered a battery from a place that
the domain is registered in the UK. The paypal receipt came from
another .co.uk company that I had rejected.
The company I used was Batteries Mal
http://www.batteries-mall.co.uk/l, but the receipt came from
laptopbattery4u.co.uk, which is an outfit with the registrant in
China.
There has to be a reason why there dregs try to make out that they are
in the UK.
I don't think the country code has ever been any kind of guide to where
a registrant is living. Consider the Tuvalu code's usage for instance.

Someone trading in this country is supposed to put an address on their
website, or they are trading illegally (try trading standards) but, like
Apple and Microsoft, the fact that they have an office in Europe is no
guarantee that they keep stock here.

What you should be looking for is not indirect clues, but a firm
statement that stock is kept in this country. Also a RL address, best
of a company as it can be cross-checked with Companies House, but sole
traders are perfectly entitled to trade and the only way to check their
address works is to write to them and see if they answer.

Of course, they may be lying about having stock in this country; but at
least then you have definitely identifed a true scumbag.
Roger Hayter
mm0fmf
2018-03-27 17:22:12 UTC
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi,
When buying laptop batteries, I have always checked the .co.uk domain
via a WHOIS search. I do this because the vast majority of these are
registered in China. I recently ordered a battery from a place that
the domain is registered in the UK. The paypal receipt came from
another .co.uk company that I had rejected.
The company I used was Batteries Mal
http://www.batteries-mall.co.uk/l, but the receipt came from
laptopbattery4u.co.uk, which is an outfit with the registrant in
China.
There has to be a reason why there dregs try to make out that they are
in the UK.
I don't think the country code has ever been any kind of guide to where
a registrant is living. Consider the Tuvalu code's usage for instance.
Bzzzt! Wrong. Tuvalu specifically sold its domain name to a company for
onwards reselling in exchange for telecommunications infrastructure
provision and buckets of cash. People didn't just get a .tv domain name
for the hell of it but specifically because many were available almost
FOC. It they hadn't been marketed in the way they were nobody would know
of the .tv domain. It's a poor example to justify non-resident
registration, and, there are plenty of countries where country code top
level domain names are only available to people living in the country
and not to foreigners.
Post by Roger Hayter
Someone trading in this country is supposed to put an address on their
website, or they are trading illegally (try trading standards) but, like
Apple and Microsoft, the fact that they have an office in Europe is no
guarantee that they keep stock here.
What you should be looking for is not indirect clues, but a firm
statement that stock is kept in this country. Also a RL address, best
of a company as it can be cross-checked with Companies House, but sole
traders are perfectly entitled to trade and the only way to check their
address works is to write to them and see if they answer.
They way to do this properly is to buy from Amazon (spit) and only buy
where the order is "fulfilled by Amazon". i.e. Amazon hold the stock in
their UK warehouses. The simple reason is Amazon only fulfil orders
themselves when the company and the product are not total crap. Also
they will drop any traders like a stone if the product they sell results
in lots of returns. You can still get crap product but it's less likely
under these circumstances.