melted
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-05 11:22:56 UTC
just melted the 2m base antenna with my new 75w 2m radio........bugger
bugger bugger ......
Stephen Thomas Troll
2018-04-05 11:35:13 UTC
On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 12:22:56 +0100, Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:

> just melted the 2m base antenna with my new 75w 2m radio.

Jim, 75W fo jockish gibbering is enough to fry anything, Jim.

>.......bugger bugger bugger ......

Jim, one track mind, Jim.

Jim, Thanks, Jim.
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-05 11:43:16 UTC
"Jim.GM4DHJ ..." <***@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> just melted the 2m base antenna with my new 75w 2m radio........bugger
> bugger bugger ......

that will teach me for putting up a short mobile dual band vertical with
added ground plane.....
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-05 16:24:01 UTC
On 4/5/2018 12:22 PM, Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> just melted the 2m base antenna with my new 75w 2m radio........bugger
> bugger bugger ......

think I will put up a dipole...can't blow that up ......think the quoted
power rating of nagoya dual band mobile whips must be
misleading...anybody else had that problem? ....

--
Resisting Freemasonry for 39 years .....
All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in
Zam Zam intolerant...
Catweazel
2018-04-05 16:54:34 UTC
On Thursday, 5 April 2018 12:22:58 UTC+1, Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> just melted the 2m base antenna with my new 75w 2m radio........bugger
> bugger bugger ......

Sorry to hear that, Jim - in theory the most I can stuff into the send end of the feeder on 2m is 200w, so allowing for cable and connector losses a little less than that will get to one or other of the two antenna, dependant on selection (co-ax relay, up top) and both are rated at 200w max. I would not run more than 150w for 'safety' margin, and frequently run a lot less.
Ian Jackson
2018-04-05 16:58:14 UTC
In message <823d0758-a872-400f-bdd9-***@googlegroups.com>,
Catweazel <***@iee.org> writes
>On Thursday, 5 April 2018 12:22:58 UTC+1, Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:
>> just melted the 2m base antenna with my new 75w 2m radio........bugger
>> bugger bugger ......
>
>Sorry to hear that, Jim - in theory the most I can stuff into the send
>end of the feeder on 2m is 200w, so allowing for cable and connector
>losses a little less than that will get to one or other of the two
>antenna, dependant on selection (co-ax relay, up top) and both are
>rated at 200w max. I would not run more than 150w for 'safety' margin,
>and frequently run a lot less.

Maybe Jim should seek advice from an FL. THEY generally don't seem to
have problems putting out strong signals.
Ian
Catweazel
2018-04-05 17:02:42 UTC
On 05/04/2018 17:58, Ian Jackson wrote:
> In message <823d0758-a872-400f-bdd9-***@googlegroups.com>,
> Catweazel <***@iee.org> writes
>> On Thursday, 5 April 2018 12:22:58 UTC+1, Jim.GM4DHJ ...  wrote:
>>> just melted the 2m base antenna with my new 75w 2m radio........bugger
>>> bugger bugger ......
>>
>> Sorry to hear that, Jim - in theory the most I can stuff into the send
>> end of the feeder on 2m is 200w, so allowing for cable and connector
>> losses a little less than that will get to one or other of the two
>> antenna, dependant on selection (co-ax relay, up top) and both are
>> rated at 200w max. I would not run more than 150w for 'safety' margin,
>> and frequently run a lot less.
>
> Maybe Jim should seek advice from an FL. THEY generally don't seem to
> have problems putting out strong signals.

Well maybe, but they're not likely to publicly shout it out if they've
stuffed an antenna because of prohibited QRO operation.
--

---
2018-04-05 17:15:05 UTC
On 4/5/2018 6:02 PM, Catweazel wrote:
> On 05/04/2018 17:58, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> In message <823d0758-a872-400f-bdd9-***@googlegroups.com>,
>> Catweazel <***@iee.org> writes
>>>
>>> Sorry to hear that, Jim - in theory the most I can stuff into the
>>> send end of the feeder on 2m is 200w, so allowing for cable and
>>> connector losses a little less than that will get to one or other of
>>> the two antenna, dependant on selection (co-ax relay, up top) and
>>> both are rated at 200w max. I would not run more than 150w for
>>> 'safety' margin, and frequently run a lot less.
>>
>> Maybe Jim should seek advice from an FL. THEY generally don't seem to
>> have problems putting out strong signals.
>
> Well maybe, but they're not likely to publicly shout it out if they've
> stuffed an antenna because of prohibited QRO operation.
tee hee

Zam Zam intolerant...
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-05 17:14:45 UTC
On 4/5/2018 5:58 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> In message <823d0758-a872-400f-bdd9-***@googlegroups.com>,
> Catweazel <***@iee.org> writes
>> On Thursday, 5 April 2018 12:22:58 UTC+1, Jim.GM4DHJ ...  wrote:
>>> just melted the 2m base antenna with my new 75w 2m radio........bugger
>>> bugger bugger ......
>>
>> Sorry to hear that, Jim - in theory the most I can stuff into the send
>> end of the feeder on 2m is 200w, so allowing for cable and connector
>> losses a little less than that will get to one or other of the two
>> antenna, dependant on selection (co-ax relay, up top) and both are
>> rated at 200w max. I would not run more than 150w for 'safety' margin,
>> and frequently run a lot less.
>
> Maybe Jim should seek advice from an FL. THEY generally don't seem to
> have problems putting out strong signals.
ballox...I was putting out a strong signal it was the bloody antenna
that melted .....

Zam Zam intolerant...
Brian Morrison
2018-04-05 18:00:23 UTC
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 18:14:45 +0100
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

> ballox...I was putting out a strong signal it was the bloody antenna
> that melted .....

So the dielectric part of the thing is either very lossy or the
matching section has burnt out through over voltage.

Careless Jim, careless...

Brian Morrison
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-05 18:10:07 UTC
On 4/5/2018 7:00 PM, Brian Morrison wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 18:14:45 +0100
> Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
>
>> ballox...I was putting out a strong signal it was the bloody antenna
>> that melted .....
>
> So the dielectric part of the thing is either very lossy or the
> matching section has burnt out through over voltage.
>
> Careless Jim, careless...

careless my arse if the antenna is rated at 100w it is not my fault it
melted at 75w anyway glad it is gone as the 70cm bit annoyed me being
there...nice vertical dipole is what I need for 2m nothing to burn out .....

Zam Zam intolerant...
Brian Morrison
2018-04-06 11:24:42 UTC
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 19:10:07 +0100
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

> On 4/5/2018 7:00 PM, Brian Morrison wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 18:14:45 +0100
> > Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> >
> >> ballox...I was putting out a strong signal it was the bloody
> >> antenna that melted .....
> >
> > So the dielectric part of the thing is either very lossy or the
> > matching section has burnt out through over voltage.
> >
> > Careless Jim, careless...
> >
> careless my arse if the antenna is rated at 100w it is not my fault
> it melted at 75w anyway glad it is gone as the 70cm bit annoyed me
> being there...nice vertical dipole is what I need for 2m nothing to
> burn out .....

But is it rated at 100W? I don't know the antenna in question, but if
you have a matching section like Diamond use, their "C match", then
quite high voltages can appear inside it and that's likely to result in
arcing and melting.

Photos would possibly reveal more...

Brian Morrison
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-06 11:55:58 UTC
On 4/6/2018 12:24 PM, Brian Morrison wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 19:10:07 +0100
> Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
>
>> On 4/5/2018 7:00 PM, Brian Morrison wrote:

>>> So the dielectric part of the thing is either very lossy or the
>>> matching section has burnt out through over voltage.
>>>
>>> Careless Jim, careless...
>>>
>> careless my arse if the antenna is rated at 100w it is not my fault
>> it melted at 75w anyway glad it is gone as the 70cm bit annoyed me
>> being there...nice vertical dipole is what I need for 2m nothing to
>> burn out .....
>>

> But is it rated at 100W? I don't know the antenna in question, but if
> you have a matching section like Diamond use, their "C match", then
> quite high voltages can appear inside it and that's likely to result in
> arcing and melting.
>
> Photos would possibly reveal more...

wait until I get it down then...then I will burn what's left ......

Resistance is not futile ...
mm0fmf
2018-04-05 19:22:17 UTC

ROTFL
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-05 19:31:11 UTC
On 4/5/2018 8:22 PM, mm0fmf wrote:
> On 05/04/2018 17:58, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> In message <823d0758-a872-400f-bdd9-***@googlegroups.com>,
>> Catweazel <***@iee.org> writes
>>>
>>> Sorry to hear that, Jim - in theory the most I can stuff into the send
>>> end of the feeder on 2m is 200w, so allowing for cable and connector
>>> losses a little less than that will get to one or other of the two
>>> antenna, dependant on selection (co-ax relay, up top) and both are
>>> rated at 200w max. I would not run more than 150w for 'safety' margin,
>>> and frequently run a lot less.
>>
>> Maybe Jim should seek advice from an FL. THEY generally don't seem to
>> have problems putting out strong signals.
>
> ROTFL

yip FLs are so funny .....

Zam Zam intolerant...
Ian Jackson
2018-04-05 20:03:57 UTC
In message <3QuxC.839276$***@fx29.am4>, Jim GM4DHJ ...
<***@ntlworld.com> writes
>On 4/5/2018 8:22 PM, mm0fmf wrote:
>> On 05/04/2018 17:58, Ian Jackson wrote:
>>> In message <823d0758-a872-400f-bdd9-***@googlegroups.com>,
>>> Catweazel <***@iee.org> writes

>>> Maybe Jim should seek advice from an FL. THEY generally don't seem to
>>> have problems putting out strong signals.
>> ROTFL
>>
>yip FLs are so funny .....

I think I've already said that, a couple of weeks ago, I heard an FL
saying "I admit I'm not running 10W". A year or two ago, on 1950kHz or
thereabouts, I heard an IL "running 50W". I bet these guys never burn
out antennas.

Ian
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-05 20:10:49 UTC
On 4/5/2018 9:03 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> In message <3QuxC.839276$***@fx29.am4>, Jim GM4DHJ ...
> <***@ntlworld.com> writes

>>>  ROTFL
>>>
>> yip FLs are so funny .....
>
> I think I've already said that, a couple of weeks ago, I heard an FL
> saying "I admit I'm not running 10W". A year or two ago, on 1950kHz or
> thereabouts, I heard an IL "running 50W". I bet these guys never burn
> out antennas.

and your point is? ....

Zam Zam intolerant...
Ian Jackson
2018-04-05 20:15:48 UTC
In message <epvxC.621542$***@fx24.am4>, Jim GM4DHJ ...
<***@ntlworld.com> writes
>On 4/5/2018 9:03 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> In message <3QuxC.839276$***@fx29.am4>, Jim GM4DHJ ...
>><***@ntlworld.com> writes

>>> yip FLs are so funny .....
>> I think I've already said that, a couple of weeks ago, I heard an FL
>>saying "I admit I'm not running 10W". A year or two ago, on 1950kHz or
>>thereabouts, I heard an IL "running 50W". I bet these guys never burn
>>out antennas.
>>>

>and your point is? ....

You're just not up to it these days.

Ian
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-05 20:24:55 UTC
On 4/5/2018 9:15 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> In message <epvxC.621542$***@fx24.am4>, Jim GM4DHJ ...
> <***@ntlworld.com> writes
>> On 4/5/2018 9:03 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
>>> In message <3QuxC.839276$***@fx29.am4>, Jim GM4DHJ ...
>>> <***@ntlworld.com> writes

>>>  I think I've already said that, a couple of weeks ago, I heard an FL
>>> saying "I admit I'm not running 10W". A year or two ago, on 1950kHz
>>> or thereabouts, I heard an IL "running 50W". I bet these guys never
>>> burn out antennas.
>>>>

>> and your point is? ....
>
> You're just not up to it these days.

what does that mean ? .....