[MW1CFN] Ship Ahoy! CG3EXP on WSPR
Add Reply
MW1CFN via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin
2017-08-12 07:21:52 UTC
Real-World Amateur Radio

Ship Ahoy! CG3EXP on WSPR

http://mw1cfnradio.blogspot.com/2017/08/ship-ahoy-cg3exp-on-wspr.html

The Polar Prince, carrying a 200mW WSPR beacon. Image: Canada C3 program.

Have you heard of the CG3EXP voyage around the north west passage of Canada?

Sadly, I hadn't heard a thing about it until yesterday. As soon as I
started listening, the WSPR beacon at 200mW popped up on my screen at a
good signal strength, despite being a mere 200mW from a pretty tough area
of the world.

Details of the voyage can be found here.

The transmitter is a QRP labs US3 unit. Interestingly, transmissions are
showing a couple Hz of drift, which is not something one sees with the
WSPRlite units.

So far, I've had a handful of good spots of the ship, which is no mean feat
because only about 10 stations at most over several hours have also heard
the beacon.

WSPR-X vs. WSJT-X WSPR Mode

http://mw1cfnradio.blogspot.com/2017/08/wspr-x-vs-wsjt-x-wspr-mode.html

WSPR is a mode that has gone from strength to strength recently. With the
advent of WSPRlite, albeit only a transmitter, the mode has now edged into
the backpacks of DX-peditions and even scientific explorations.

For quite a while, I've been using WSPR-X, which is an experimental mode.
It does very well, although it does suffer from a persistent tendency, at
least on my equipment, to miss a fraction of the signals evident on-screen.

This morning, after much playing around with receive input settings, I
decided to have a go at using the WSPR setting available under WSJT-X.

The difference in remarkable! Whereas WSPR-X might decode a maximum of
about eight signals per cycle, WSJT-X reliably pulls out about 15 signals!
That's quite a difference, and vitally important for decoding those tiny
WSPRlite transmissions from distant places of only a few mW.

I'm not sure why WSPR-X is so poor at decoding. It was a release mainly
aimed at announcing WSPR-15. Perhaps WSPR-2 wasn't improved at that point?
Spike
2017-08-12 07:29:31 UTC
Post by MW1CFN via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin
Real-World Amateur Radio
Ship Ahoy! CG3EXP on WSPR
http://mw1cfnradio.blogspot.com/2017/08/ship-ahoy-cg3exp-on-wspr.html
The Polar Prince, carrying a 200mW WSPR beacon. Image: Canada C3 program.
Have you heard of the CG3EXP voyage around the north west passage of Canada?
Sadly, I hadn't heard a thing about it until yesterday. As soon as I
started listening, the WSPR beacon at 200mW popped up on my screen at a
good signal strength, despite being a mere 200mW from a pretty tough
area of the world.
I rather think that a ground-plane the size of a ship, sitting in
sea-water to the radio horizon, might have something to do with
launching excellent sky and ground waves.