[CRAM] Radioclubs.net closedown
Add Reply
CRAM via rec.radio.info Admin
2018-03-28 22:53:52 UTC
MEIRION AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY

Radioclubs.net closedown

http://meirion-ars.info/radioclubs-net-closedown/

Radioclubs.net closedown The RSGB’s web-hosting service for
clubs radioclubs.net will be closing down for good on 29 March 2018 when
the hosting company we use discontinue their services We emailed clubs
using...
Read more
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
Good ...I hate clubs ...
Spike
2018-03-29 10:12:36 UTC
Post by CRAM via rec.radio.info Admin
MEIRION AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY
Radio clubs.net close-down
http://meirion-ars.info/radioclubs-net-closedown/
Radio clubs.net close-down The RSGB's web-hosting service for
clubs - radioclubs.net - will be closing down for good on 29 March 2018
when the hosting company we use discontinue their services.
Sounds like the digital equivalent of the infamous book-skipping episode
- the one where the library was put in a skip. Definitely another
master-stroke of communications from your communicative Society.

What was wrong with finding another web-hosting service? It's what
anyone else would do, unless of course this was a Pontius Pilate type of
outcome.

"RSGBTech is meant for everyone", or so the RSGB says. The group is
moderated 'to
ensure that the questions are on topic', but the group's own admissions
policy mention
(a pre-) 'vet', 'known', 'trouble', and 'maker', but not the vetting
policy! None of these are
'moderation' issues and none are mentioned in the RSGB's Guidelines.....
David Wade
2018-03-29 10:58:54 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by CRAM via rec.radio.info Admin
MEIRION AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY
Radio clubs.net close-down
http://meirion-ars.info/radioclubs-net-closedown/
Radio clubs.net close-down The RSGB's web-hosting service for clubs -
radioclubs.net - will be closing down for good on 29 March 2018 when
the hosting company we use discontinue their services.
Sounds like the digital equivalent of the infamous book-skipping episode
- the one where the library was put in a skip. Definitely another
master-stroke of communications from your communicative Society.
What was wrong with finding another web-hosting service? It's what
anyone else would do, unless of course this was a Pontius Pilate type of
outcome.
I suspect that not enough amateurs visited the advertising that paid for
the site to make it profitable for the hosting company. The clubs were
given 12 months notice and when I last checked most of the sites on
there were either "stubs" pointing to new web servers so the club had
moved, or were very old with no up-to-date content, info on meetings
etc. so either the club had folded, or just did not have the resources
to keep the site up to date.

At any rate I don't see it as a great loss...

g4ugm
Spike
2018-03-30 08:08:39 UTC
Post by David Wade
Post by Spike
[...]
That's unfortunate, because the internet is /the/ place for
disseminating news, and this approach by the RSGB sends completely the
wrong message.

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2018-03-30 16:24:44 UTC
On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 09:08:39 +0100, just as I was about to take a
Post by Spike
That's unfortunate, because the internet is /the/ place for
disseminating news, and this approach by the RSGB sends completely the
wrong message.
So true. They have not got a clue. Just look at how they run their
forums, or rather don't!
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
shocking ....
Spike
2018-03-31 08:15:02 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Post by Spike
That's unfortunate, because the internet is /the/ place for
disseminating news, and this approach by the RSGB sends completely the
wrong message.
So true. They have not got a clue. Just look at how they run their
forums, or rather don't!
Oh, don't be too hard on them - they do issue 'guidelines' that are
promptly ignored by those with their own agenda.

mm0fmf
2018-03-31 17:24:04 UTC
Post by Spike
That's unfortunate, because the internet is /the/ place for
disseminating news, and this approach by the RSGB sends completely the
wrong message.
So true. They have not got a clue. Just look at how they run their
forums, or rather don't!
So just how much webspace should the RSGB provide for clubs? Just a few
MB for a static page? Or several GB? How much bandwidth? What about web
frameworks and server side scripting? Should clubs get a shell account?
What handling domain forwarding and mail forwarding? Who is going to be
in charge of archiving and backups? Who sorts out hacks to poorly
secured club sites?

I mean you are complaining the RSGB haven't got a clue but how much clue
have you got here? How much subsidised hosting should they provide to
clubs considering they charge £47 for affiliated club membership? I do
know the hosting package our club site runs on would cost a lot more
than £47/yr except the club gets to piggy back onto that hosting package
for a peppercorn cost plus their domain registration charges as someone
else picks up the bill and they get to slurp up unused capacity.

What the RSGB do provide is a geographic locator with links to club
websites. A nice static page of club details and links would be nice but
I only spent a minute or so seeing what they did provide to help someone
locate a club. Which seems to work offering contact details, phone
numbers, club address, meeting details and website URL.

But as you seem to be suggesting you have clue in providing hosting
services for a disparate group of people with a vast range of
understanding and competencies, why don't you give us the benefit of
this vast knowledge?

I have no problem putting the boot into the RSGB, I could list several
things they deserve a daily kicking over. But this is not one of them.

I await the flood of knowledge you'll be passing on.
Brian Reay
2018-04-01 06:07:34 UTC
Post by Spike
[...]
You've hit the nail on the head. Clubs which want websites etc tend to
already have them, I doubt many relied on the RSGB's limited provision.
It was just a loose end that needed cutting off. As you say, a basic
'pointer' to local clubs is all that is needed- that assumes clubs keep
their contact details up to date etc.

As you say, the RSGB needs calling to task for many things but this
wouldn't be on my list. Anyone who has it on their list so close to the
top they complain about it here must be a very happy member.
are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud