Dressler D200S 144MHz amplifier
Cyclotron
2004-05-10 19:04:26 UTC
Hi , has anyone ever sold , seen or heard of the (QUITE noisy when
overdriven) Dressler (350W CW) 4CX350A 2 metre amplifier?

I have one, and wish to sell it to some deserving Meteor chaser or
Lunar explorer - but I can't work out what price anyone would wish to
pay!

Does the collective opinion of the 'net veer towards a Pint and a
Packet of Peanuts or would it more be in the league of the similarish
(except needing a small external 43 amps supply) Tokyo Hy-Power
HL-350VDX priced at about $790 in japan?

thanks,
have fun , David G8MDG (temporary QTH North Italy)
Walt Davidson
2004-05-10 22:54:01 UTC
Post by Cyclotron
Hi , has anyone ever sold , seen or heard of the (QUITE noisy when
overdriven) Dressler (350W CW) 4CX350A 2 metre amplifier?
The Dressler amps were quite highly regarded back around 1980.
However, the ones with multiple 4CX250's were better than the single
4CX350 version, which resembles the infamous Japanese NAG "linear".
Post by Cyclotron
I have one, and wish to sell it to some deserving Meteor chaser or
Lunar explorer - but I can't work out what price anyone would wish to
pay!
350 watts CW is positively QRP for serious eme or MS work on 2 metres!
Post by Cyclotron
Does the collective opinion of the 'net veer towards a Pint and a
Packet of Peanuts or would it more be in the league of the similarish
(except needing a small external 43 amps supply) Tokyo Hy-Power
HL-350VDX priced at about $790 in japan?
It's a bit dated now, isn't it? We used to reckon on about £1 per
watt for 2 metre amplifiers when new. For a 20-year-old used one, I
would think in terms of about one-third of that figure at most.

73 de G3NYY (ex-Tempo 2002 user for 2m MS)
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
jim.gm4dhj
2004-05-11 05:40:33 UTC
You will know GM4CXM then ?
Walt Davidson
2004-05-11 06:01:39 UTC
On Tue, 11 May 2004 06:37:53 +0100, "jim.gm4dhj"
Post by jim.gm4dhj
You will know GM4CXM then ?
Yes, Ray and I have been friends for many years.
:-)

73 de G3NYY
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
jim.gm4dhj
2004-05-12 06:50:59 UTC
Post by jim.gm4dhj
You will know GM4CXM then ?
Yes, Ray and I have been friends for many years.
:-)
73 de G3NYY
--
I once shared the same hotel room with him at Stoke on Trent in the late
70's before we both got married........be he wouldn't tell you THAT! .....
Cyclotron
2004-05-12 08:45:19 UTC
Post by jim.gm4dhj
You will know GM4CXM then ?
No, I haven't met Ray yet - but it's always possible.....! When I
wrote "tempory QTH" I meant temporary in that the Main QTH is Leeds,
but I'll be in Italy working for maybe the next 10 years!

I also solved my puzzle of what a Dressler is worth - it's strange how
Usenet can focus the mind - I searched for ages to correctly value a
german 15kilogram box of EHT power supply and bits of bent metal that
make 2 metres go a long way.
Posted the question to "uk.radio.amateur". Then answered the question
myself with some lateral thinking the next day!. At least this link
should be of interest to any other dutch speaking radio enthusiasts or
RF bargain-hunters. Peter PA3CNX advertises at
<http://www.pi4utc.net/Advertenties.htm> amongst other things, his
Dressler D200 (with 4CX250B) is for sale at 525euro plus E75 for
external change-over relays.

73's David
Walt Davidson
2004-05-12 09:20:06 UTC
Post by Cyclotron
Peter PA3CNX advertises at
<http://www.pi4utc.net/Advertenties.htm> amongst other things, his
Dressler D200 (with 4CX250B) is for sale at 525euro plus E75 for
external change-over relays.
It is one thing to advertise it for that price; quite another thing to
get it! The D200 dates from 1978. Spare parts, especially for the
psu, are very hard to get.

73 de G3NYY
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Walt Davidson
2004-05-12 09:20:06 UTC
On Wed, 12 May 2004 07:50:33 +0100, "jim.gm4dhj"
Post by jim.gm4dhj
Post by Walt Davidson
Yes, Ray and I have been friends for many years.
:-)
73 de G3NYY
I once shared the same hotel room with him at Stoke on Trent in the late
70's before we both got married........be he wouldn't tell you THAT! .....
ROTFL!! We are not _THAT_ close!
:-)

73 de G3NYY
(I once shared a hotel room in Paris with Paul Weller in 1977)
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI
2004-05-12 10:22:05 UTC
Post by jim.gm4dhj
You will know GM4CXM then ?
Yes, Ray and I have been friends for many years.
:-)
73 de G3NYY
--
I once shared the same hotel room with him at Stoke on Trent in the late
70's before we both got married........be he wouldn't tell you THAT! .....
Is it legal for two blokes to marry?
--
;>)
73 de Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI - mine's a pint.
http://turner-smith.co.uk
Andrew Swiffin
2004-05-12 12:23:34 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Cyclotron
Peter PA3CNX advertises at
<http://www.pi4utc.net/Advertenties.htm> amongst other things, his
Dressler D200 (with 4CX250B) is for sale at 525euro plus E75 for
external change-over relays.
It is one thing to advertise it for that price; quite another thing to
get it! The D200 dates from 1978. Spare parts, especially for the
psu, are very hard to get.
73 de G3NYY
--
Indeed! Stick it on ebay though - they'll pay vastly over the odds for all kinds of junk there. In a just world you'd probably get £100 to £150 for it.

And to make 2meters go a long way you need rather more than a dressler... It'll make it go a medium way perhaps.

Andy gm8oeg
jim.gm4dhj
2004-05-12 12:29:45 UTC
Trust you to have a "topper" for every occasion.......
Walt Davidson
2004-05-12 14:03:45 UTC
On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:23:34 +0100, "Andrew Swiffin"
Post by Andrew Swiffin
Indeed! Stick it on ebay though - they'll pay vastly over the odds for all
kinds of junk there. In a just world you'd probably get £100 to £150 for it.
That is exactly the price I had in mind. One pound per watt when it
was new; about one-third of that amount now.
Post by Andrew Swiffin
And to make 2meters go a long way you need rather more than a dressler...
It'll make it go a medium way perhaps.
LOL! Quite so!
:-)

73 de G3NYY
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Stu
2004-05-12 14:21:44 UTC
Post by jim.gm4dhj
Post by Walt Davidson
73 de G3NYY
(I once shared a hotel room in Paris with Paul Weller in 1977)
--
Trust you to have a "topper" for every occasion.......
I am a little worried that you two maybe top of the roofs

Stu
Walt Davidson
2004-05-12 14:36:34 UTC
On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:21:44 +0000 (UTC), "Stu"
Post by Stu
I am a little worried that you two maybe top of the roofs
BONA!

73 de G3NYY
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Geoff
2004-05-12 15:11:41 UTC
Post by Andrew Swiffin
And to make 2meters go a long way you need rather more than a
dressler... It'll make it go a medium way perhaps.
What is the furthest distance over which an amateur QSO has been made?
Something like 500,000 miles - on VHF and UHF and nicrowave bands! HF maybe
20,000 miles maximum!

Shame upon you Andy - from a G(M)8 too.
YG
jim.gm4dhj
BONA ! FANTABULOSA!
Walt Davidson
2004-05-12 20:30:26 UTC
On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:11:41 +0000 (UTC), Geoff
Post by Geoff
Post by Andrew Swiffin
And to make 2meters go a long way you need rather more than a
dressler... It'll make it go a medium way perhaps.
What is the furthest distance over which an amateur QSO has been made?
Something like 500,000 miles - on VHF and UHF and nicrowave bands! HF maybe
20,000 miles maximum!
Shame upon you Andy - from a G(M)8 too.
You've completely lost the plot, as usual, Geoff.

73 de G3NYY
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Geoff
2004-05-12 20:59:42 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by Andrew Swiffin
And to make 2meters go a long way you need rather more than a
dressler... It'll make it go a medium way perhaps.
What is the furthest distance over which an amateur QSO has been made?
Something like 500,000 miles - on VHF and UHF and nicrowave bands! HF
maybe 20,000 miles maximum!
Shame upon you Andy - from a G(M)8 too.
You've completely lost the plot, as usual, Geoff.
In what way Walt? 250W on 2m will go a fair way, considerably further
than (say) 20m. As you well know, EME is possible with 250W on 2m.
YG
Chris Kirby
2004-05-12 21:26:12 UTC
Post by Geoff
In what way Walt? 250W on 2m will go a fair way, considerably further
than (say) 20m. As you well know, EME is possible with 250W on 2m.
It's erp that counts and I doubt that eme is possible with 250w erp.

73,
Chris
Brian Reay
2004-05-12 21:52:35 UTC
Post by Chris Kirby
Post by Geoff
In what way Walt? 250W on 2m will go a fair way, considerably further
than (say) 20m. As you well know, EME is possible with 250W on 2m.
It's erp that counts and I doubt that eme is possible with 250w erp.
250W erp is 24dBW, near enough.

The free space path loss for EME at 144MHz is about 250dB, as I recall.
(That doesn't allow for losses in the reflection process)

So, the return signal is, at most, -226dBW, or -196dBm

Even without going as far as allowing for the SNR benefits of a narrow
bandwidth, rx antenna gain, etc that looks like needing an 'impressive'
receiver ;-)
--
73
Brian