100/1 against?
2017-07-23 10:31:24 UTC
Any chance of decent, civilised, polite, germane, relevant
and appropriate technical discussion in this NG, especially
from those who claim to have the interests of newcomers
at heart despite behaving publicly in a manner that can
only serve to drive newcomers away?

No names, no pack drill.
Stephen Thomas Troll
2017-07-23 10:39:43 UTC
Any chance of decent, civilised, polite, germane, relevant and
appropriate technical discussion in this NG, especially from those who
claim to have the interests of newcomers at heart despite behaving
publicly in a manner that can only serve to drive newcomers away?
No names, no pack drill.
Gareth, your post above, Gareth, contains no germane, relevant, technical
content, Gareth. Gareth, in fact, Gareth, your post, Gareth, seems to be
exactly the sort of witless nonsense that you are complaining about,
Gareth.

Thanks, Gareth.
Brian Reay
2017-07-23 11:06:54 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Troll
Any chance of decent, civilised, polite, germane, relevant and
appropriate technical discussion in this NG, especially from those who
claim to have the interests of newcomers at heart despite behaving
publicly in a manner that can only serve to drive newcomers away?
No names, no pack drill.
Gareth, your post above, Gareth, contains no germane, relevant, technical
content, Gareth. Gareth, in fact, Gareth, your post, Gareth, seems to be
exactly the sort of witless nonsense that you are complaining about,
Gareth.
Thanks, Gareth.
It is just another example of his displacement activities. He has spent
time planning how he things he can cause upset, composing and typing the
post etc., and will spend time reading the responses and perhaps
responding. All time he could have used to progress one of his
vapourware projects.

Imagine if a similar approach was taken to software projects, carefully
preparing estimates to redesign code supposedly at fault due to others,
to conceal a lack of progress- it would lead to dismissal and no doubt
some fanciful reason for it.

Anyone who did it more than once would find it difficult to find quality
work in software - even when there is always a shortage for good people.
are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Gareth's outhouse computer
Indeed. They could always get a job teaching.
Brian Reay
2017-07-23 13:08:03 UTC
Post by Gareth's outhouse computer
Post by Brian Reay
[...]
I doubt it. Teaching is one of those roles they tend to look carefully
at previous jobs and reasons for leaving them. The last thing they want
is rejects.
Mans Nilsson
2017-08-09 07:44:14 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Gareth's outhouse computer
Indeed. They could always get a job teaching.
I doubt it. Teaching is one of those roles they tend to look carefully
at previous jobs and reasons for leaving them. The last thing they want
is rejects.
When I went to University to become a teacher (didn't finish, the
compulsory military service got in the way and I sort of swerwed over
to other things afterwards) the standing joke was that the teachers
teaching teachers were the teachers that could not teach children.

My later experience as non-faculty (yet teaching, anyway, because I had
work experience that mattered even to engineering students) at University
does nothing to contradict this joke.
--
Måns Nilsson primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE SA0XLR +46 705 989668
It's a MOUSTACHE you want to take HOME and introduce to NANCY SINATRA!
Brian Reay
2017-08-09 08:36:27 UTC
Post by Mans Nilsson
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Gareth's outhouse computer
Indeed. They could always get a job teaching.
I doubt it. Teaching is one of those roles they tend to look carefully
at previous jobs and reasons for leaving them. The last thing they want
is rejects.
When I went to University to become a teacher (didn't finish, the
compulsory military service got in the way and I sort of swerwed over
to other things afterwards) the standing joke was that the teachers
teaching teachers were the teachers that could not teach children.
In the UK the joke is they are the Ofsted inspectors ;-)

(Ofsted inspect schools.)
Post by Mans Nilsson
My later experience as non-faculty (yet teaching, anyway, because I had
work experience that mattered even to engineering students) at University
does nothing to contradict this joke.
I firmly believe teachers should do something else first- in my case
engineering.

There is, or were (it may have changed, since retiring I've not tracked
developments) moves to increase the emphasis on teachers having previous
experience before starting to train to teach in the UK.

Custos Custodum
2017-08-09 11:25:54 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Mans Nilsson
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Gareth's outhouse computer
Indeed. They could always get a job teaching.
I doubt it. Teaching is one of those roles they tend to look carefully
at previous jobs and reasons for leaving them. The last thing they want
is rejects.
When I went to University to become a teacher (didn't finish, the
compulsory military service got in the way and I sort of swerwed over
to other things afterwards) the standing joke was that the teachers
teaching teachers were the teachers that could not teach children.
In the UK the joke is they are the Ofsted inspectors ;-)
(Ofsted inspect schools.)
Given the salaries they command, I suspect they are having the last
laugh.
Brian Reay
2017-08-09 12:27:40 UTC
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Mans Nilsson
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Gareth's outhouse computer
Indeed. They could always get a job teaching.
I doubt it. Teaching is one of those roles they tend to look carefully
at previous jobs and reasons for leaving them. The last thing they want
is rejects.
When I went to University to become a teacher (didn't finish, the
compulsory military service got in the way and I sort of swerwed over
to other things afterwards) the standing joke was that the teachers
teaching teachers were the teachers that could not teach children.
In the UK the joke is they are the Ofsted inspectors ;-)
(Ofsted inspect schools.)
Given the salaries they command, I suspect they are having the last
laugh.
Actually, many are, or were (it may have changed) part time. At one
time, some weren't even qualified teachers (again I'm not sure if that
is still the case) I certainly met someone who was an former inspector
(not while he was inspecting) who had never been a teacher and had no
teaching qualifications.

Personally, joking aside, I've no issue with OFSTED. I think they serve
a necessary function - schools and teachers do need to be
inspected/checked. I'm all for the process etc. Ditto the removal of
poor teachers. I wouldn't want my child taught in a poor school or by a
poor teacher and therefore I don't expect others to accept it either.
Any well run organisation has an 'Quality' process to check it is
performing etc. - education is no different. Schools have their own,
internal processes and OFSTED is there to check those are in place and
are effective. Sadly, it doesn't always work.

I do have some issues with the ever changing 'goal posts' and 'latest
ideas' - I've no issue with change but not change for change sake - you
need to ensure that you understand why something "isn't working" and how
the change you plan is supposed to address that. Constant 'tinkering'-
often as not driven by politics - is counter productive. Of course, this
isn't limited to education- the NHS has the same problem, too many
'politicians' in the loop- including the Unions.
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2017-08-10 11:58:11 UTC
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 13:27:40 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
Post by Brian Reay
Personally, joking aside, I've no issue with OFSTED. I think they serve
a necessary function - schools and teachers do need to be
inspected/checked.
If it is anything like the CQC that inspect medical and dental
practices, care homes etc, the only thing that they do not check is
the actual quality of care! They are more concerned which way mops are
stored (I jest not) than anything else. In fact, in dentistry, there
are NO checks on the quality of treatment at all, NHS or private.
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Brian Reay
2017-08-10 11:56:26 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
Personally, joking aside, I've no issue with OFSTED. I think they serve
a necessary function - schools and teachers do need to be
inspected/checked.
If it is anything like the CQC that inspect medical and dental
practices, care homes etc, the only thing that they do not check is
the actual quality of care! They are more concerned which way mops are
stored (I jest not) than anything else. In fact, in dentistry, there
are NO checks on the quality of treatment at all, NHS or private.
They do observe lessons, if that is what you mean. Also check the
school's results etc- not only in terms of absolute performance but in
terms of the intake, 'value added', etc. They also verify that schools
are conducting their own monitoring of teaching quality via
observations, monitoring of results, etc. That is why the Unions don't
like it- especially when there is the merest 'whiff' of rewarding the
teaching who get better results etc. I always liked that, then I always
got very good results ;-)

Essentially, a 'team' turns up and they will generally have a 'theme'
for the inspection (unless it has changed). The theme could be, say,
'Gifted and Talented provision' or 'Numeracy across the curriculum',
While they can, and may well, look at almost anything, that will (in
theory) be their focus. Some of them will be looking for evidence of
provision etc. in the teaching, others in the leadership. Others may
well be looking into the school 'admin'. Unless it has changed, you've
no idea if you will be observed, they just appear - possibly for the
whole lesson, may be part way through. Also, you can be 'called in'
and, say, asked "What is the school policy on xyz?" "Show us that you
know who are your Gifted and Talent pupils." "What do you do to provide
for them?" etc. Likewise pupils and parents are interviewed. Pupil
books are examined for quality of work and evidence of quality marking
etc (you don't get away with a 'tick' and 9/10 etc, you need to give
feedback with areas/advice for improvement). To be fair, it is all good
stuff, I don't really have any gripes with the process.

The 'weakness' is the ever changing ideas on what is 'wanted' or how
things should be done. Every now and then some 'new' idea comes along,
often as not just and old idea with fancy name. It may well be what you
are already doing but you have to use the new name or all hell breaks
loose. Then there are the 'wacky' ideas- 'high fiving' (although it
wasn't called that) when someone had a good idea. Classes walking in
circles in pairs, high fiving each other when they have an idea, then
changing partners to tell the new partner the idea.

You can see why, especially in say maths, some schools don't get good
results when you consider that some of the 'wacky' ideas insist that you
shouldn't teach even basic problem solving processes or the basics of,
say, algebra- the pupils have to 'discover them'. The problem is, they
may well end up with the correct answer to the problem/question at hand
but their method is only good a 'one off' and/or inefficient. Heaven
forbid you should point that out.

The worst thing is, the National Curriculum is actually pretty darn good
and, if teachers were to essentially 'stick to it' using tried and
tested methods, without the 'wacky ideas' the poor schools would improve
dramatically. Don't get me wrong, I've no issue with changing things
for the better but don't use wacky methods that just don't work.

Take long division. When it was deemed 'too difficult' by the 'old
fashion method', several 'easier ideas' were taught. They worked, up to
a point with 'ordinary numbers', although got 'tedious' with large ones.
Useless for algebraic long division. Whoever decided to dump long
division obviously hadn't thought ahead as algebraic long division is a
key skill for A level (well AS level) maths. Also, if you understand
'place value' and powers, which are already taught, even in the lower
key stages, long division is a doddle, if you like them together. Whatis
more, if you make that like, several other things 'drop into place'-
including other number systems like binary, hex etc and working in them.
Just think of the implications when teaching computing.

Gareth's Downstairs Computer
Puts Train-the Trainers and its originator in a new light!
Paul Cummins
2017-08-09 10:37:00 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
The last thing they want
is rejects.
How on earth did you slip past then?
--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
https://btcprominer.life/260604
Jim GM4DHJ ...
where is the fun in that? ....
Jeff
2017-07-23 16:35:40 UTC
Any chance of decent, civilised, polite, germane, relevant
and appropriate technical discussion in this NG, especially
from those who claim to have the interests of newcomers
at heart despite behaving publicly in a manner that can
only serve to drive newcomers away?
You mean a bit like the Vapourware thread that you started?

Jeff
Stephen Thomas Troll
2017-07-23 17:01:35 UTC
Post by Jeff
Any chance of decent, civilised, polite, germane, relevant and
appropriate technical discussion in this NG, especially from those who
claim to have the interests of newcomers at heart despite behaving
publicly in a manner that can only serve to drive newcomers away?
You mean a bit like the Vapourware thread that you started?
Jeff
He's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma and all untidily
encased in a fat, pretentious, hypocritical halfwit.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2017-07-23 17:10:29 UTC
you shouldn't talk about brian reay like that .....
Gareth's Downstairs Computer
Yes, ... perhaps you should?
Jeefaw K. Effkay
Jim GM4DHJ ...
where is the fun in that ......?
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2017-07-23 22:14:17 UTC
On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 20:05:49 +0100, just as I was about to take a
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
where is the fun in that ......?
It must get very boring for people to ***continually*** be at each
other's throats.

I wonder why people could not add some spice to their lives by
occasionally being civil to each other.
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
jimbo
that is what moderated is for......!......
Jim GM4DHJ ...
look...another jimbo ....how cute .....
Jim GM4DHJ ...
I am civil to civil people ...
Brian Reay

Jim GM4DHJ ...
get your blubber off the floor...you look stupid ......
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2017-07-24 17:03:13 UTC
On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 07:01:41 +0100, just as I was about to take a
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
I am civil to civil people ...
Invariably, being civil to somebody who is not, makes them change
their tone.
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Ian Jackson
2017-07-24 18:15:40 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
I am civil to civil people ...
Invariably, being civil to somebody who is not, makes them change
their tone.
No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Ian
Jim GM4DHJ ...
try that with brian reay...tee hee
Gareth's Downstairs Computer
2017-07-24 18:26:29 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
I am civil to civil people ...
Invariably, being civil to somebody who is not, makes them change
their tone.
try that with brian reay...tee hee
Oh, come on Jim, M3OSN has his good points but it's just that in his
15 years of making tendentious comments into this NG I'm not
aware of what they are.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
I hate the fat fake bastard...is that civil enough? ......
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2017-07-25 09:45:34 UTC
On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 19:23:47 +0100, just as I was about to take a
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
try that with brian reay...tee hee
I have not had to try that with Brian as he has *always* been civil to
me.
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Jim GM4DHJ ...
I was always civil to my dentist.........
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2017-07-25 11:32:59 UTC
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:02:26 +0100, just as I was about to take a
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
I was always civil to my dentist.........
Ah, but I am not his dentist. Quite a few tossers are not civil to
their dentists, thank goodness!!!!
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Jim GM4DHJ ...
don't worry he will soon fall out with you ......
Stephen Thomas Troll
2017-07-23 18:13:32 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Troll
He's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma and all untidily
encased in a fat, pretentious, hypocritical halfwit.
you shouldn't talk about brian reay like that .....
Jim, if I wanted to I would, Jim. Jim, you're the one with the blinkered
view, Jim. Jim, you bigoted jockish simpleton, Jim.

Thanks, Jim.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
some say I'm cleverer than you .....
Stephen Thomas Troll
2017-07-23 19:29:49 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Stephen Thomas Troll
He's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma and all
untidily encased in a fat, pretentious, hypocritical halfwit.
you shouldn't talk about brian reay like that .....
Jim, if I wanted to I would, Jim. Jim, you're the one with the
blinkered view, Jim. Jim, you bigoted jockish simpleton, Jim.
Thanks, Jim.
some say I'm cleverer than you .....
Jim, the fact that you haven't worked out that I'm not Cole, Jim, proves
that you're a fucking simpleton, Jim.

Thanks, Jim.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
makes no difference to me who you are ......
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2017-07-23 19:42:29 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Stephen Thomas Troll
He's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma and all
untidily encased in a fat, pretentious, hypocritical halfwit.
you shouldn't talk about brian reay like that .....
Jim, if I wanted to I would, Jim. Jim, you're the one with the
blinkered view, Jim. Jim, you bigoted jockish simpleton, Jim.
Thanks, Jim.
some say I'm cleverer than you .....
Jim, the fact that you haven't worked out that I'm not Cole, Jim, proves
that you're a fucking simpleton, Jim.
Thanks, Jim.
makes no difference to me who you are ......
Suppose you see a bird walking around in a farm yard. This bird has no label
that says 'duck'. But the bird certainly looks like a duck. Also, he goes to
the pond and you notice that he swims like a duck. Then he opens his beak
and quacks like a duck. Well, by this time you have probably reached the
conclusion that the bird is a duck, whether he's wearing a label or not.....
Stephen Thomas Troll
2017-07-23 19:52:25 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
[...]
Jim, you are correct, Jim. Jim, that's why it doesn't matter if you don't
carry a sign that says "Bigoted jockish simpleton", Jim. Jim, it's
obvious anyway, Jim.

Thanks, Jim.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
so it is ...
Stephen Thomas Troll
2017-07-23 20:16:51 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
[...]
Jim, I knew you'd see sense, Jim. Jim, I think a sign saying "Unclean"
would be superfluous, too, Jim. Jim, just in case you were considering
it, Jim. Jim, if you catch him now, Jim, perhaps there's still time, Jim,
for Gareth to cancel his order for the "Obnoxious fat English cunt." sign
that I know he had his eye on, Jim.

Thanks, Jim.
Jim GM4DHJ ...