How sad it is ...
2017-06-08 17:07:34 UTC
How sad it is when even those of us who pride ourselves
on being _REAL_ radio amateurs (proper written RAE, 12 WPM Morse)
feel unable to salvage much from today's electronic scrap.

I'm talking of the ADSL router which I'd just binned, and
the 0102 SMD resistors, smaller than even the finest soldering
iron point available here.

However, getting a new one brings the latest technology including
WiFi on both 2G4Hz & 5GHz.

This raises the question as to whether we as a genre of
technical enthusiasts should retain all the bands that we
now have. At one time it was only the squadderies, plodderies
and we radio amateurs who had sophisticated electronics,
but now it is available to everyman with his 2G / 3G / 4G & 5G
mobile phones.

Most amateur operation these daus seems to be with one black
box or another and differences between operating on differing bands
disappear, making it unnecessary to have so many bands. For
example, 70cm & 23 cm could be dispensed with, with no
discernable difference between the QSOing on those bands
and QSOing on 50MHz and 144MHz.

THis is an inevitable result of the dumbing down exemplified
by the Fools' Licence in Brit; a licence targetted at the 5-year-old
Jim GM4DHJ ...
..no...it's just post amateur radio
Brian Reay
2017-06-08 17:35:59 UTC
[...]
No, it is the result of people like you not keeping up to date.

You claimed your routed failed due to electrolytic capacitors. Why didn't
you simply replace them?

If I, even following a stroke, can repair an iPhone with a failed solder
joint under an IC, surely you can replace a few capacitor- especially as
you are always banging on about either homebrew or maintaining commercial
kit you own. Unless, of course, that is just hot air?
Jim GM4DHJ ...
it's a throw away world brian ......
Rambo
2017-06-08 23:29:36 UTC
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 18:41:32 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
[...]
If Brian is that competant, shall we have a whip round and buy him a
ladder?
Jim GM4DHJ ...
I don't get that ? .........
Gareth's Downstairs Computer
2017-06-09 13:23:37 UTC
Post by Rambo
[...]
Interesting that once again an attempt by me to stimulate germane
discussion is hijacked by M3OSN to be a vehicle for his
uncontrollable need to be personally abusive.

Will he ever grow up, or will he continue to originate
insults in the manner of a 5-year-old in the school
playground?
Jeefaw K. Effkay
2017-06-10 10:19:48 UTC
Interesting that once again an attempt by me to stimulate germane
discussion
Interesting that another of G4SDW's childish trolls backfired on him: