[MW1CFN] Grumpy Old Men in Radio (Number 2)
MW1CFN via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin
2018-04-02 06:49:26 UTC
Real-World Amateur Radio

Grumpy Old Men in Radio (Number 2)

https://mw1cfnradio.blogspot.com/2018/04/grumpy-old-men-in-radio-number-2.html

Very, very rarely, I apply for a special event station callsign for things
that I think a lot of people will find interesting.

OFCOM, the UK regulator, generally issue a SES for a maximum of one month.

But a problem has become evident this week, in that a one-month SES can
be 'held' as a separate callsign on QRZ.com permanently.

So an operator can be legitimately issued with a call once used by someone
else, but be unable to use QRZ.com for general information/QSLing purposes,
because a previous person who was issued with the same call refuses to
release it on QRZ.com.

This is precisely what happened this week, when I prompted a user - who
was, inevitably, elderly - to release a SES related to the Royal Air Force
celebrations.

The response? A thinly veiled 'get lost'.

The problem is exacerbated by elderly people tending to default, when under
criticism, to say things like: 'I was given this callsign thirty years
ago!' That kind of mindless stubbornness is very common, and yet another
aspect detrimental to a hobby already failing to attract new and younger
members.

The only glimmer of hope is that QRZ.com, who I must say are not very good
at understanding non-US issues, have accepted in correspondence with me
that they need to improve how SES call retention duration is handled.
Brian Reay
2018-04-02 08:01:38 UTC
Post by MW1CFN via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin
Real-World Amateur Radio
[...]
If OFCOM have (re)issued the Callsign to you and the previous holder is
being 'difficult' re QRZ etc, make the SES Callsign and his Callsign
public.

True, some of the Grumpy Old Men in the hobby like to behave like that
all the time (some of the usual rejects spring to mind) but even some of
those like to pretend they maintain 'gentlemanly traditions'. A bit of
ridicule will soon bring them to heel- like the one who was given a
dressing down like a naughty school boy by a Judge for his behaviour.
are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Spike
2018-04-02 08:14:11 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
[...]
You're aiming at the wrong target, for reasons best known by yourself.
QRZ.com is simply dreadful when it comes to this kind of thing, making
one jump through all kinds of hoops. Anyone having been through this
process can easily understand why the 'grumpy old man' said what he did
- it isn't up to him to get QRZ.com to streamline their quaint
procedures - it's easier to open a bank account.

"RSGBTech is meant for everyone", or so the RSGB says. The group is
moderated 'to
ensure that the questions are on topic', but the group's own admissions
policy mention
(a pre-) 'vet', 'known', 'trouble', and 'maker', but not the vetting
policy! None of these are
'moderation' issues and none are mentioned in the RSGB's Guidelines.....
Ian Jackson
2018-04-02 08:29:46 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Brian Reay
[...]
I understand that, in the USA, callsigns do get (or can be) recycled
after two years. If so, I'm surprised that QRZ haven't come across this
problem before.
Ian
mm0fmf
2018-04-02 09:54:56 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
I understand that, in the USA, callsigns do get (or can be) recycled
after two years. If so, I'm surprised that QRZ haven't come across this
problem before.
They have. Their admins ike some kind of independent evidence when you
tell them you are the new owner of a callsign. For FCC calls they can
check the FCC database.
Brian Howie
2018-04-02 08:50:12 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
[...]
I think I know who the OP was referring to. I've always found him to be
a gentleman in the true meaning that much abused term. I work him
regularly on 4m CW. Anyone who works 4m CW is a man to be reckoned with.

Brian GM4DIJ
--
Brian Howie
Brian
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
quality unlike g8s....
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-04 18:13:06 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
True, some of the Grumpy Old Men in the hobby like to behave like that
all the time (some of the usual rejects spring to mind) but even some of
those like to pretend they maintain 'gentlemanly traditions'. A bit of
ridicule  will soon bring them to heel- like the one who was given a
dressing down like a naughty school boy by a Judge for his behaviour.
Gentlemanly traditions in amateur radio were destroyed by the class Bs
and the FL .....
--
Resisting Freemasonry for 39 years .....
All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in
Zam Zam intolerant...
Custos Custodum
2018-04-04 18:32:24 UTC
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 19:13:06 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Brian Reay
True, some of the Grumpy Old Men in the hobby like to behave like that
all the time (some of the usual rejects spring to mind) but even some of
those like to pretend they maintain 'gentlemanly traditions'. A bit of
ridicule  will soon bring them to heel- like the one who was given a
dressing down like a naughty school boy by a Judge for his behaviour.
Gentlemanly traditions in amateur radio were destroyed by the class Bs
and the FL .....
You only had to listen to a pre-FL pile-up on hf to know that this is
bollocks. Gentlemanly, my arse. More like a piranha feeding frenzy.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-04 18:36:40 UTC
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Brian Reay
True, some of the Grumpy Old Men in the hobby like to behave like that
all the time (some of the usual rejects spring to mind) but even some of
those like to pretend they maintain 'gentlemanly traditions'. A bit of
ridicule  will soon bring them to heel- like the one who was given a
dressing down like a naughty school boy by a Judge for his behaviour.
Gentlemanly traditions in amateur radio were destroyed by the class Bs
and the FL .....
You only had to listen to a pre-FL pile-up on hf to know that this is
bollocks. Gentlemanly, my arse. More like a piranha feeding frenzy.
you just ignore silly things like that.......
Zam Zam intolerant...
Spike
2018-04-05 08:26:48 UTC
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Gentlemanly traditions in amateur radio were destroyed by the class Bs
and the FL .....
You only had to listen to a pre-FL pile-up on hf to know that this is
bollocks. Gentlemanly, my arse. More like a piranha feeding frenzy.
But that was only the DX chasers. I'm sure you get such people at Lodge
Night dinners, for example.

Gareth's Downstairs Computer
2018-04-05 08:37:42 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Gentlemanly traditions in amateur radio were destroyed by the class Bs
and the FL .....
You only had to listen to a pre-FL pile-up on hf to know that this is
bollocks. Gentlemanly, my arse. More like a piranha feeding frenzy.
But that was only the DX chasers. I'm sure you get such people at Lodge
Night dinners, for example.
Looks like the Class B whom you quoted has confirmed by his language
the lack of gentlemanliness described.
Custos Custodum
2018-04-06 09:48:09 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Gentlemanly traditions in amateur radio were destroyed by the class Bs
and the FL .....
You only had to listen to a pre-FL pile-up on hf to know that this is
bollocks. Gentlemanly, my arse. More like a piranha feeding frenzy.
But that was only the DX chasers.
Isn't everyone a DX chaser, given the opportunity?
Post by Spike
I'm sure you get such people at Lodge
Night dinners, for example.
Never having been to a Lodge Night dinner, I couldn't possibly
comment.
Spike
2018-04-06 16:42:00 UTC
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Spike
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Gentlemanly traditions in amateur radio were destroyed by the class Bs
and the FL .....
You only had to listen to a pre-FL pile-up on hf to know that this is
bollocks. Gentlemanly, my arse. More like a piranha feeding frenzy.
But that was only the DX chasers.
Isn't everyone a DX chaser, given the opportunity?
Nope.
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Spike
I'm sure you get such people at Lodge
Night dinners, for example.
Never having been to a Lodge Night dinner, I couldn't possibly
comment.
Oh, there's plenty of BS and trumpet-blowing on Lodge Nights - trust me
on this. Sometimes it spills over into RL.

Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-06 17:06:08 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Spike
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Spike
I'm sure you get such people at Lodge
Night dinners, for example.
Never having been to a Lodge Night dinner, I couldn't possibly
comment.
Oh, there's plenty of BS and trumpet-blowing on Lodge Nights - trust me
on this. Sometimes it spills over into RL.
what's an RL ? .....
Resistance is not futile ...
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
real life .....
Spike
2018-04-07 08:26:06 UTC
Post by Spike
Oh, there's plenty of BS and trumpet-blowing on Lodge Nights - trust
me on this. Sometimes it spills over into RL.
what's an RL ? .....
You got it....

Real Life

Jim.GM4DHJ ...
who cares anyway?...
Spike
2018-04-03 07:57:23 UTC
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
[...]
That's because the 'average Amateur' is 60 years of age, works HF CW,
and builds things - as shown by successive RSGB Members Surveys, the
expensive and seemingly relentless 'youth programme' having singularly
failed to make any significant change to the membership profile. So the
sentiments expressed above can be safely ignored as mere wishful thinking.
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
Post by MW1CFN via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin
The only glimmer of hope is that QRZ.com, who I must say are not very good
at understanding non-US issues, have accepted in correspondence with me
that they need to improve how SES call retention duration is handled.
who cares anyway?...
The who treasure an SES call, apparently.

This should have properly been titled 'Grumpy Young Men in Radio (Number
2)'.

Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-03 09:24:30 UTC
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
Post by MW1CFN via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin
The only glimmer of hope is that QRZ.com, who I must say are not very good
at understanding non-US issues, have accepted in correspondence with me
that they need to improve how SES call retention duration is handled.
who cares anyway?...
The who treasure an SES call, apparently.
This should have properly been titled 'Grumpy Young Men in Radio (Number
2)'.
yes he should get lost along with a once fine hobby ...
Zam Zam intolerant...
Roger Hayter
2018-04-03 10:48:29 UTC
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
who cares anyway?...
The who treasure an SES call, apparently.
This should have properly been titled 'Grumpy Young Men in Radio (Number
2)'.
The previous holder of the callsign should authorise the change with
qrz.com as soon as he is informed of the new issue, checking with OFCOM
if he wishes. Anything else is unreasonable behaviour.

There are perfectly good moderated Usenet groups that cannot be used as
the holder of the relevant key has disappeared/died/sulked.
Roger Hayter
Spike
2018-04-03 16:13:50 UTC
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
who cares anyway?...
The who treasure an SES call, apparently.
This should have properly been titled 'Grumpy Young Men in Radio (Number
2)'.
The previous holder of the callsign should authorise the change with
qrz.com as soon as he is informed of the new issue, checking with OFCOM
if he wishes. Anything else is unreasonable behaviour.
The previous owner of the callsign has no power whatsoever to authorise
anything to do with the call, as having time-expired it now falls within
the purview of OFCOM. It is quite unreasonable to expect him to attempt
this.
Post by Roger Hayter
There are perfectly good moderated Usenet groups that cannot be used as
the holder of the relevant key has disappeared/died/sulked.
That's the system. By all means lobby for change, but don't foist a duty
on those who have no power to act.

Roger Hayter
2018-04-03 17:19:12 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
who cares anyway?...
The who treasure an SES call, apparently.
This should have properly been titled 'Grumpy Young Men in Radio (Number
2)'.
The previous holder of the callsign should authorise the change with
qrz.com as soon as he is informed of the new issue, checking with OFCOM
if he wishes. Anything else is unreasonable behaviour.
The previous owner of the callsign has no power whatsoever to authorise
anything to do with the call, as having time-expired it now falls within
the purview of OFCOM. It is quite unreasonable to expect him to attempt
this.
I am not suggesting he authorise anything connected with the official
callsign allocation. But I am suggesting he authorise qrz.com, who will
have given him administration rights over the qrz.com entry for the
call, to change that entry, and the ownership - of the entry.
Roger Hayter
Spike
2018-04-05 08:26:00 UTC
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Spike
Post by Roger Hayter
The previous holder of the callsign should authorise the change with
QRZ.com as soon as he is informed of the new issue, checking with OFCOM
if he wishes. Anything else is unreasonable behaviour.
The previous owner of the callsign has no power whatsoever to authorise
anything to do with the call, as having time-expired it now falls within
the purview of OFCOM. It is quite unreasonable to expect him to attempt
this.
I am not suggesting he authorise anything connected with the official
callsign allocation. But I am suggesting he authorise qrz.com, who will
have given him administration rights over the qrz.com entry for the
call, to change that entry, and the ownership - of the entry.
Perhaps he never put it on QRZ.com in the first place, most callsign
entries got there without their owners knowing about it and so can't
'authorise' anything to do with it - it's entirely a QRZ.com issue.

Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-05 09:13:49 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Spike
Post by Roger Hayter
[...]
qrz should be banned anyway...load of crap
Zam Zam intolerant...
Spike
2018-04-05 10:53:44 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Spike
Post by Roger Hayter
[...]
Got to agree with you on that one, Jimbo.