Old Licences
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2018-03-26 22:41:35 UTC
Hi,

If any of you have any old UK amateur radio licences knocking around,
I wonder if you could let me have a PDF copy of it?

I have licences from 1907, 1913, 1946, 1954, 1964, 1973 (mobile) and
some more modern ones to trade.

I would really like to get hold of the old G6xxx/T licences.
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Lucifer Morningstar
2018-03-27 04:21:10 UTC
On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 23:41:35 +0100, Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi,
If any of you have any old UK amateur radio licences knocking around,
I wonder if you could let me have a PDF copy of it?
I have licences from 1907, 1913, 1946, 1954, 1964, 1973 (mobile) and
some more modern ones to trade.
I would really like to get hold of the old G6xxx/T licences.
I have an AOCP from 1978, mine!
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
--
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
10-4 good buddy.
Brian Reay
2018-03-27 05:10:00 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi,
If any of you have any old UK amateur radio licences knocking around,
I wonder if you could let me have a PDF copy of it?
I have licences from 1907, 1913, 1946, 1954, 1964, 1973 (mobile) and
some more modern ones to trade.
I would really like to get hold of the old G6xxx/T licences.
You should write and article for RadCom about your collection- I don't
recall ever seeing a write up of the history of the actual licence
documents.
are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Jim GM4DHJ ...
why?...zoo loonie ......
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-03-27 06:57:24 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi,
If any of you have any old UK amateur radio licences knocking around,
I wonder if you could let me have a PDF copy of it?
I have licences from 1907, 1913, 1946, 1954, 1964, 1973 (mobile) and
some more modern ones to trade.
I would really like to get hold of the old G6xxx/T licences.
I had one with G4DHJ when they were going through their who cares about hams
phase .....
Peter Able
2018-03-27 13:27:43 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi,
If any of you have any old UK amateur radio licences knocking around,
At one time the UK licence had to be returned when updated (e.g. the mass
update of 1977) or when not renewed(?). So are originals quite rare?

PA
Ian Jackson
2018-03-27 15:26:24 UTC
In message <p9dkd3$mjd$***@dont-email.me>, Peter Able <***@home.com>
writes
Post by Peter Able
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi,
If any of you have any old UK amateur radio licences knocking around,
At one time the UK licence had to be returned when updated (e.g. the mass
update of 1977) or when not renewed(?). So are originals quite rare?
PA
I'm sure that I have, in the past, been a good boy and returned at least
one licence.

However, I think I've already said that, during some recent
de-cluttering, I found I still have my original 1960 licence. I thought
I'd had to return it when there was a re-issue (1977 change from GPO to
Home Office or MPT?) - so I'm ever so pleased!
Ian
Peter Able
2018-03-28 06:43:23 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
writes
Post by Peter Able
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi,
If any of you have any old UK amateur radio licences knocking around,
At one time the UK licence had to be returned when updated (e.g. the mass
update of 1977) or when not renewed(?). So are originals quite rare?
PA
I'm sure that I have, in the past, been a good boy and returned at least
one licence.
However, I think I've already said that, during some recent de-cluttering,
I found I still have my original 1960 licence. I thought I'd had to return
it when there was a re-issue (1977 change from GPO to Home Office or
MPT?) - so I'm ever so pleased!
In 1977 the authorities sent me a licence with correct ID but wrong
callsign. When I spoke to the them they told me to hold onto my 1960s one
(until ????) - so I did! The typed, Gestetner/Roneo-produced foolscap one.

PA
Graham.
2018-03-28 11:33:45 UTC
Post by Peter Able
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi,
If any of you have any old UK amateur radio licences knocking around,
At one time the UK licence had to be returned when updated (e.g. the mass
update of 1977) or when not renewed(?). So are originals quite rare?
PA
Yes I remember that. They enclosed an SAE. I didn't bother to send it
back and heard no more about it.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Brian Howie
2018-03-27 14:48:50 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi,
If any of you have any old UK amateur radio licences knocking around,
I wonder if you could let me have a PDF copy of it?
I have licences from 1907, 1913, 1946, 1954, 1964, 1973 (mobile) and
some more modern ones to trade.
I would really like to get hold of the old G6xxx/T licences.
I've got the Glasgow University Club licence GM4AGU from about 1970
somewhere.

Brian
Brian Howie
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2018-03-27 22:13:50 UTC
The one I would really be interested in seeing is the old, separate TV
licences where the call was G6xxx/T
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Trailer Trash ...
2018-03-28 07:08:07 UTC
I collect bus numbers .....
Catweazel
2018-03-28 08:06:25 UTC
Post by Trailer Trash ...
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
The one I would really be interested in seeing is the old, separate TV
licences where the call was G6xxx/T
I collect bus numbers .....
Bin there, done that and plane numbers too.
Did you do plane numbers, seeing as you're in the near
of an airport?
--

---
Trailer Trash ...
2018-03-28 10:44:14 UTC
Post by Catweazel
Post by Trailer Trash ...
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
The one I would really be interested in seeing is the old, separate TV
licences where the call was G6xxx/T
I collect bus numbers .....
Bin there, done that and plane numbers too.
Did you do plane numbers, seeing as you're in the near
of an airport?
yes I also dress up as an airline Captain with hat and five stripes....well
if fitbo supporters can wear their strip and never play fitba why not ? ....
Lucifer Morningstar
Why would fitbo supporters play fitba?
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
2018-04-01 16:46:34 UTC
Post by Trailer Trash ...
Post by Catweazel
Post by Trailer Trash ...
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
The one I would really be interested in seeing is the old, separate TV
licences where the call was G6xxx/T
I collect bus numbers .....
Bin there, done that and plane numbers too.
Did you do plane numbers, seeing as you're in the near
of an airport?
yes I also dress up as an airline Captain with hat and five
stripes....well
if fitbo supporters can wear their strip and never play fitba why not ? ....
Why would fitbo supporters play fitba?
so why do they dress up in a fitba strip?......

Trailer Trash ...
2018-03-28 10:59:12 UTC
Post by Catweazel
Post by Trailer Trash ...
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
The one I would really be interested in seeing is the old, separate TV
licences where the call was G6xxx/T
I collect bus numbers .....
Bin there, done that and plane numbers too.
Did you do plane numbers, seeing as you're in the near
of an airport?
I had an airside pass and could get real close to the buggers and used to
visit alterations to the control tower which has only one stair as a means
of escape plus a hatch to get out of.....you used to lift a telephone to get
permission to cross a taxiway to get to the tower...fun.....used to be
ferried about in a CAA car at times...happy days did the aorport fron 1974
to 2010 ....saw a lot of changes ......
Trailer Trash ...
sorry '76 to 2010...not that anybody is interested...tee hee
Brian Howie
2018-03-28 16:59:32 UTC
Post by Trailer Trash ...
Post by Trailer Trash ...
Post by Catweazel
Post by Trailer Trash ...
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
The one I would really be interested in seeing is the old, separate TV
licences where the call was G6xxx/T
I collect bus numbers .....
Bin there, done that and plane numbers too.
Did you do plane numbers, seeing as you're in the near
of an airport?
I had an airside pass and could get real close to the buggers and used to
visit alterations to the control tower which has only one stair as a means
of escape plus a hatch to get out of.....you used to lift a telephone to
get permission to cross a taxiway to get to the tower...fun.....used to be
ferried about in a CAA car at times...happy days did the aorport fron 1974
to 2010 ....saw a lot of changes ......
sorry '76 to 2010...not that anybody is interested...tee hee
The old control tower at Renfrew Airport or terminal buildings were
re-used after it shut Are they still there ?

Brian
Brian Howie
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
nah gone years ago...now a tesco .....
Trailer Trash ...
2018-03-28 10:45:49 UTC
Post by Trailer Trash ...
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
The one I would really be interested in seeing is the old, separate TV
licences where the call was G6xxx/T
I collect bus numbers .....
...and bus tickets .... you were always looking for one that added up to 21
Ian Jackson
2018-03-28 22:51:08 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
The one I would really be interested in seeing is the old, separate TV
licences where the call was G6xxx/T
I might be mistaken, but ISTR that at one time (very early 60s) they
used to issue TV-only G3 licences as a separate (stand-alone) licence.
This was somewhat different from the mobile licence, which was an
addition to your normal licence - and you couldn't have it by itself.
However you COULD get a morse-free G3xxx/T licence.

In 1961 I used to know someone who had just got a TV-only licence (the
xxx' were his initials, which began with a 'P').

[To be honest, I don't think he had any real interest in TV or UHF, but
these were the days before Class-Bs, and he probably got it just to
avoid missing the opportunity to get a 'personalised' callsign.]

As I said, I'm sure that he had a G3Pxx/T callsign - but according to
QRZ, there is no G3Pxx today. However, there IS a G6Pxx - but as the
name isn't his, I guess it isn't him (unless his G6 has been recycled -
which is unlikely)
Ian
A. non Eyemouse
2018-03-29 09:55:03 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
[...]
There were also a few G2xxx/T callsigns issued according to my 1964
edition. I suspect that all the /T calls were converted to G6xxx when
they started to issue the G8 series.
--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
Ian Jackson
2018-03-29 15:21:22 UTC
Post by A. non Eyemouse
Post by Ian Jackson
As I said, I'm sure that he had a G3Pxx/T callsign - but according
to QRZ, there is no G3Pxx today. However, there IS a G6Pxx - but as
the name isn't his, I guess it isn't him (unless his G6 has been
recycled - which is unlikely)
There were also a few G2xxx/T callsigns issued according to my 1964
edition. I suspect that all the /T calls were converted to G6xxx when
they started to issue the G8 series.
You're right.

In my 1963 callbook, the following are listed (among the other
callsigns) as /T:
G2UJ/T, G2CCM, G2CIK, G2DUS, G3ACK, G3GDR, G3HII, G3KFH, G3KHN, G3KKD,
G3KPX, G3KQJ, G3LCM, G3LGJ, G3LJI, G3LOS, G3LTC, G3MDY, G3MEO. G3MFT.
G3MMX, G3MQC, G3MSN, G3MST, G3MTV, G3MUB, G3MUR, G3MXW, G3MXY, G3MYD,
G3NDT, G3NGL, G3NJO, G3NML, G3NNH, G3NOX, G3NNQ,G3NTT, G3NWA, G3OAC,
G3OAL, G3OBE, G3OPB, G3ORZ, G3OUH, G3OUM, G3OYM, G3PAX, G3PDO, G3PEG,
G3PEH, G3PEI, G3PEN, G3PGF, G3PJE, G3PJG, G3PNG, G3PQH, G3PRI, G3PRL,
G3PUR, G3PUV, G3PVE, G3PWF, G3PXX, G3PZY, G3RAP, G3RAX, G3RAY, G3RBA,
G3RBV, G3REC, G3RES, G3RGX, G3RGZ.

In 1968, all the G2s and the G3s who were licensed for TV are listed in
a separate TV category - but with the 2s and 3s now changed to 6s
(including the guy I knew). [There is also a fair number of new
in-sequence callsigns.] Where the amateur also had a normal G2 or G3
Class-A licence, the corresponding original G2 or G3 callsign is also
listed (among the other G2s and the G3s).

The G6/Ts are still listed in 1974 - but I see that in 1984 all the G6s
are Class-B callsigns. [There are no /Ts at all.] From what I can see,
the G6 callsigns are assigned to completely different people, and are
not simply the G6Ts minus the /T.

So what happened to those who only had a G6/T licence (and had no G2 or
G3)? Were they assigned something completely new, such as G1 callsign?
Ian
Brian Morrison
2018-03-29 16:39:32 UTC
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 16:21:22 +0100
Post by Ian Jackson
The G6/Ts are still listed in 1974 - but I see that in 1984 all the
G6s are Class-B callsigns. [There are no /Ts at all.] From what I can
see, the G6 callsigns are assigned to completely different people,
and are not simply the G6Ts minus the /T.
So what happened to those who only had a G6/T licence (and had no G2
or G3)? Were they assigned something completely new, such as G1
callsign?
According to the information I found, the /T licence disappeared in 1977
because all UK licences were granted fast-scan TV privileges in one go.

Since FSTV was only possible on 430MHz and higher frequencies due to its
bandwidth requirements I believe that if only a /T licence was held that
those licensees would have been issued with a G8+3 as it was the call
sign series being issued in 1977. Anyone who already had a G2, G3 or G4
would have been able to use their existing licence for FSTV and all
other modes too.
--
Brian Morrison