http://swling.com/blog/2017/08/reuters-cyber-threats-prompt-return-of-radio-for-ship-navigation/
Add Reply
Jeefaw K. Effkay
2017-08-10 15:33:24 UTC
http://swling.com/blog/2017/08/reuters-cyber-threats-prompt-return-of-radio-for-ship-navigation/

I could get my old job back - it's only been 33 years :-)
Brian Howie
2017-08-10 16:38:06 UTC
Post by Jeefaw K. Effkay
http://swling.com/blog/2017/08/reuters-cyber-threats-prompt-return-of-ra
dio-for-ship-navigation/
I could get my old job back - it's only been 33 years :-)
Da-dah di-da-dah da-dit dah dah dah ......... dit dit dit dit

Brian
Brian Howie
mm0fmf
2017-08-10 16:51:27 UTC
Post by Jeefaw K. Effkay
http://swling.com/blog/2017/08/reuters-cyber-threats-prompt-return-of-radio-for-ship-navigation/
I could get my old job back - it's only been 33 years :-)
This nonsense comes up again and again as these jokers trying to get
someone to fund a new super LORAN.

"Ships lack a backup navigation system...."

Bollocks!

The last time I looked there was still a sun and stars in the sky so
what's wrong with using a sextant and quartz watch? Fuck me, people
navigated around the world for hundreds of years with nothing more than
these and an ephemeris.

And if someone is capable of knocking out your GPS reception over a
large area for a long time you've got bigger problems than a super LORAN
will fix.
Brian Reay
2017-08-10 22:08:08 UTC
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Jeefaw K. Effkay
http://swling.com/blog/2017/08/reuters-cyber-threats-prompt-return-of-radio-for-ship-navigation/
I could get my old job back - it's only been 33 years :-)
This nonsense comes up again and again as these jokers trying to get
someone to fund a new super LORAN.
"Ships lack a backup navigation system...."
Bollocks!
The last time I looked there was still a sun and stars in the sky so
what's wrong with using a sextant and quartz watch? Fuck me, people
navigated around the world for hundreds of years with nothing more than
these and an ephemeris.
And if someone is capable of knocking out your GPS reception over a
large area for a long time you've got bigger problems than a super LORAN
will fix.
Indeed. Plus, you can't 'bring back' Loran, Decca, Omega, etc 'over
night' the infrastructure of the transmitters and the individual
receivers, not to mention the training etc. will take years. I assume
the basics of using the sun and/or stars are still taught- if not,
certainly a 'sun fix' can be be mastered quicklu.
are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud