[MW1CFN] 2m FM: the show is over.
MW1CFN via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin
2018-03-28 07:45:42 UTC
Real-World Amateur Radio

2m FM: the show is over.

https://mw1cfnradio.blogspot.com/2018/03/2m-fm-show-is-over.html

I have never been very interested in 2m FM, other than for DX and satellite
operation. One reason is that 2m in the UK tends to be populated by people
who don't engage in very interesting conversations. It's also true that
there are some rather dodgy people hanging out on 2m - people you really
want to avoid.

All that said, 2m is, of course, potentially very useful for local
contacts. I know of a few lonely, elderly people who find the regular
morning ragchews keep them going, and that is a very valuable thing indeed.

Reached a dead end.

But the sad fact that, by 2018, 2m FM in my area, which, because of its
elevated and clear position, stretches out to Northern Ireland, Southern
Ireland and western England, is all but dead. The band was always
populated by just a handful of regulars, but whose health has now
deteriorated or their lives ended altogether.

Whilst I could never say that I will remotely miss the kinds of QSOs that
were to be had on 2m, it is obviously very concerning that 2m seems to be
the canary in the coal mine for things to come for other aspects of amateur
radio.
Trailer Trash ...
2018-03-28 10:38:03 UTC
Post by MW1CFN via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin
It's also true that
there are some rather dodgy people hanging out on 2m - people you really
want to avoid.
like Glasgow .......I blame the FL bringing the low life into a once fine
hobby .....