Regretted having started :-(
Add Reply
Gareth's Upstairs Computer
2017-08-12 16:22:37 UTC
Having yesterday sorted out my small hand tools drawer, and sorting
like-minded tools into chinese take-away plastic containers found
this afternoon that the drawer woould not open.

After much cussing and swearing, in the style of M3OSN's email to
the BRATS committee members, and hooking with carefully shaped
bits of wire, it transpired that when the drawer was shut sharply, the
inertia of the plastic trays made them slide forward so the head of a hammer
dropped into the space behind, and the handle of the hammer pointed
skywards and jammed behind the top lath at the front of the desk.

Moral : if you live in a mess, get use to it!
Bernie
2017-08-12 16:44:44 UTC
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:22:37 +0100

mick
2017-08-12 20:03:01 UTC
Post by Gareth's Upstairs Computer
Having yesterday sorted out my small hand tools drawer, and sorting
like-minded tools into chinese take-away plastic containers found
this afternoon that the drawer woould not open.
After much cussing and swearing, in the style of M3OSN's email to
the BRATS committee members, and hooking with carefully shaped
bits of wire, it transpired that when the drawer was shut sharply, the
inertia of the plastic trays made them slide forward so the head of a hammer
dropped into the space behind, and the handle of the hammer pointed
skywards and jammed behind the top lath at the front of the desk.
Moral : if you live in a mess, get use to it!
Take the hammer out and give the draw a good bashing, you will then
feel better :-)

mick
Davey
2017-08-12 23:53:58 UTC
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 21:03:01 +0100
Post by mick
Take the hammer out and give the draw a good bashing, you will then
feel better :-)
Or even the drawer.
Davey.
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2017-08-13 08:28:17 UTC
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:22:37 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Gareth's Upstairs Computer"
Post by Gareth's Upstairs Computer
Having yesterday sorted out my small hand tools drawer
Knacker of the Yard has been duly informed.
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Gareth's Upstairs Computer
2017-08-13 10:52:11 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:22:37 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Gareth's Upstairs Computer"
Post by Gareth's Upstairs Computer
Having yesterday sorted out my small hand tools drawer
Knacker of the Yard has been duly informed.
Horologising this morning, and even in a clock, the bits are very small to
handle. Bought from a junk shop a black "marble" French clock to
practice upon. The pendulum is missing and half the suspension
spring too. Had to resort to the staking tool to knock out the
tiny pin in the Vallet suspension block, which itself has been
sitting in a bath of WD40 for a couple of days,

Bring back those body-tip-spot resistors the size of half a
cigarette, I say!

Makes me think about the lack of miniaturised tools; consider the billions
of atoms present, then by reducing tools such as lathes and mills by a
factor
of, say, 100, and there should still be sufficient metal remaining to do a
good job. Sure, we might need a microscope and a manipulator to use
such tools, but the subsequent ease for watchmaking and the like should
follow?

The accurate lathes etc of today were themselves brought about
through use of their less accurate forefathers, so whereas our first
attemots
at miniaturisation might be somewaht scabby, now we know the process
to follow (which Maudsley et al had no experience of) how quickly could
we produce a series of improvements resulting in accurate tools to reproduce
with ease the components of watches?

</WAFFLE>
RustyHinge
2017-08-14 13:05:09 UTC
Post by Gareth's Upstairs Computer
Had to resort to the staking tool to knock out the
tiny pin in the Vallet suspension block, which itself has been
sitting in a bath of WD40 for a couple of days,
Diesel oil is better - or, if it's well grunged, soak in paraffin first,
then diseasel.
--
Rusty Hinge
2017-08-14 16:33:23 UTC
Post by RustyHinge
Post by Gareth's Upstairs Computer
Had to resort to the staking tool to knock out the
tiny pin in the Vallet suspension block, which itself has been
sitting in a bath of WD40 for a couple of days,
Diesel oil is better - or, if it's well grunged, soak in paraffin first,
then diseasel.
It is a clock, not an engine ;-)

Something like WD40 is more appropriate.

An 'shake' in an ultra sonic cleaner would probably help, assuming there
is nothing there which would object. I have a proper ultra sonic cleaner
but I understand even the cheap 'not really ultra sonic' ultra sonic
cleaners are surprisingly effective- they have a crude off-centre wheel
to shake the pot, more of a 'rattle cleaner'. Someone told me they were
originally designed for cleaning false teeth- they certainly look about
the right size etc. ;-)