OT: Internet Explorer 8
Walt Davidson
2009-05-24 07:14:54 UTC
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.

73 de G3NYY

[cue a chorus of the usual voices proclaiming that Firefox, Opera,
etc, etc, etc ... are all better than any Microsoft product]
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Brian Morrison
2009-05-24 07:20:19 UTC
On Sun, 24 May 2009 08:14:54 +0100
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
Indeed it is....
Post by Walt Davidson
73 de G3NYY
[cue a chorus of the usual voices proclaiming that Firefox, Opera,
etc, etc, etc ... are all better than any Microsoft product]
Horses for courses Walt, but the advances in FF and Opera amongst
others are what pushed MS into developing IE to this new state.
Everyone benefits from competition....
--
Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."

GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html
k watkins
2009-05-24 20:57:17 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
Indeed it is.... slow & poor compared to V6 that I have now reverted
to.New is not always best.
Steve Terry
2009-05-24 21:04:19 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
Indeed it is.... slow & poor compared to V6 that I have now reverted
to.New is not always best.
OK, has anyone got anything good to say about MS Mail
compared to Thunderbird or MS Outlook?

Steve Terry
Brian Morrison
2009-05-24 23:18:22 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
Indeed it is.... slow & poor compared to V6 that I have now reverted
to.New is not always best.
But IE6 is so broken it's beyond fixing. Most coders for web sites
loathe it for that reason alone.

Josh Russel
2009-05-24 09:21:59 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
73 de G3NYY
[cue a chorus of the usual voices proclaiming that Firefox, Opera,
etc, etc, etc ... are all better than any Microsoft product]
'aven't tried 8 yet but thinkin' of givin it a go. Both families 'ave
evolved. I stills remember lynx an' netscape.
--
---
A g7 and lovin' it.
Steve Terry
2009-05-24 14:19:56 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
73 de G3NYY
[cue a chorus of the usual voices proclaiming that Firefox, Opera,
etc, etc, etc ... are all better than any Microsoft product]
Only thing is it's dual standard having a backward compatibility button

It's a added complication

Steve Terry
Peter Day
2009-05-24 20:22:29 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
73 de G3NYY
[cue a chorus of the usual voices proclaiming that Firefox, Opera,
etc, etc, etc ... are all better than any Microsoft product]
Yes they all are !
Safari on a Mac is better still.
Anything is better than "Windoze" ...

Peter G3PHO
Walt Davidson
2009-05-25 07:07:20 UTC
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:22:29 +0100, Peter Day
Post by Peter Day
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
73 de G3NYY
[cue a chorus of the usual voices proclaiming that Firefox, Opera,
etc, etc, etc ... are all better than any Microsoft product]
Yes they all are !
Safari on a Mac is better still.
Anything is better than "Windoze" ...
It's your loss for being so prejudiced.

It's a similar phenomenon to the "anti-Murdoch" brigade. They just
can't stand the idea of anyone having a successful business. Sour
grapes?

73 de G3NYY
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
jim stewart
brian?
Steve Terry
2009-05-25 18:42:20 UTC
Post by jim stewart
Post by Walt Davidson
It's a similar phenomenon to the "anti-Murdoch" brigade. They just
can't stand the idea of anyone having a successful business. Sour
grapes?
73 de G3NYY
brian?
Sour Grapes? No that would be Brians haemorrhoids

Steve Terry
l***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-25 18:49:09 UTC
I've not had me supper yet
Steve Terry
2009-05-25 19:11:35 UTC
Post by l***@invalid.invalid
Post by Steve Terry
Sour Grapes? No that would be Brians haemorrhoids
I've not had me supper yet
Brian has that effect on everyone

Steve Terry
Yeti
2009-05-25 07:44:00 UTC
Post by Peter Day
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
73 de G3NYY
[cue a chorus of the usual voices proclaiming that Firefox, Opera,
etc, etc, etc ... are all better than any Microsoft product]
Yes they all are !
Safari on a Mac is better still.
Anything is better than "Windoze" ...
It's your loss for being so prejudiced.
It's a similar phenomenon to the "anti-Murdoch" brigade. They just
can't stand the idea of anyone having a successful business. Sour
grapes?
73 de G3NYY
Rupert Murdoch's BSkyB got where it is today by pirate broadacasting,
effectively.

The Astra satellites were never supposed to transmit into Britain.

Of course, the UK Government crippling BSB with multi-million pound
debts by making them build two of their own satellites meant BSB
couldn't afford to buy up all the good programs, and Sky got them all.

Consumers simply went where the choice (or lack thereof) forced them to go.
jim stewart
I had ...BSB ...Betamax ...etc
Yeti
Alway on the losing side then Jim?
jim stewart
yes .....
jim stewart
2009-05-25 08:09:26 UTC
Post by jim stewart
Post by Yeti
Post by jim stewart
Post by Yeti
Of course, the UK Government crippling BSB with multi-million pound
debts by making them build two of their own satellites meant BSB
couldn't afford to buy up all the good programs, and Sky got them all.
Consumers simply went where the choice (or lack thereof) forced them to go.
I had ...BSB ...Betamax ...etc
Alway on the losing side then Jim?
yes .....
.......allegro ........hyundai stellar ....volvo 440 ..........amateur
radio
Yeti
2009-05-25 08:20:48 UTC
Post by jim stewart
Post by jim stewart
Post by Yeti
Post by jim stewart
Post by Yeti
Of course, the UK Government crippling BSB with multi-million pound
debts by making them build two of their own satellites meant BSB
couldn't afford to buy up all the good programs, and Sky got them all.
Consumers simply went where the choice (or lack thereof) forced them to go.
I had ...BSB ...Betamax ...etc
Alway on the losing side then Jim?
yes .....
.......allegro ........hyundai stellar ....volvo 440 ..........amateur
radio
LOL - you had a Stellar? I've wanted one of those for years.

Anyway, true radio ham - always go for the thing that's technically
superior, even if it loses out in the consumer market.

Been there myself - Minidisc, Playstation 3...
Jimbo GM4DHJ ...
2009-05-25 08:50:43 UTC
Post by Yeti
Post by jim stewart
.......allegro ........hyundai stellar ....volvo 440 ..........amateur
radio
LOL - you had a Stellar? I've wanted one of those for years.
yes mini disk as well....creative zen ...the list is endless.....

Eugene sully had a stellar so it must be OK ........

http://www.wosars.org.uk/islay_2007/islay_2007-Pages/Image6.html

sorry that should have been ......

http://www.eugenesully.net/Blog/page/Farm-Life.aspx
Chaney's Laptop
2009-05-26 07:29:04 UTC
Post by Jimbo GM4DHJ ...
Post by Yeti
Post by jim stewart
.......allegro ........hyundai stellar ....volvo 440 ..........amateur
radio
LOL - you had a Stellar? I've wanted one of those for years.
yes mini disk as well....creative zen ...the list is endless.....
Eugene sully had a stellar so it must be OK ........
You can still buy a mini disk...most mobile DJ's use mini disk...
--
Chaney

Chaney's World - Scooters: A Way of Life
http://www.chaney.i12.com
Yeti
2009-05-26 09:14:35 UTC
Post by Chaney's Laptop
Post by Jimbo GM4DHJ ...
Post by Yeti
Post by jim stewart
.......allegro ........hyundai stellar ....volvo 440 ..........amateur
radio
LOL - you had a Stellar? I've wanted one of those for years.
yes mini disk as well....creative zen ...the list is endless.....
Eugene sully had a stellar so it must be OK ........
You can still buy a mini disk...most mobile DJ's use mini disk...
Yes, still plenty about, but the late (very late) coming of
data-minidiscs (high speed recording from a PC) and the coming of MP3 CD
players (thereby bringing CD the benefits of compression that minidisc
used for it's reduced size, only to increase capacity) wiped them out.

Their two main advantages are they don't skip and they don't get scratched.
Steve Terry
2009-05-26 11:02:03 UTC
Post by Chaney's Laptop
Post by Jimbo GM4DHJ ...
Post by Yeti
Post by jim stewart
.......allegro ........hyundai stellar ....volvo 440 ..........amateur
radio
LOL - you had a Stellar? I've wanted one of those for years.
yes mini disk as well....creative zen ...the list is endless.....
Eugene sully had a stellar so it must be OK ........
You can still buy a mini disk...most mobile DJ's use mini disk..
Chaney
They must have marvellous eyesight to be able to get the needle on to one of
those!

Steve Terry
Dave
2009-05-25 23:16:31 UTC
Post by Yeti
Been there myself - Minidisc, Playstation 3...
I have had a play station 1 in my lap for years ;-)

Dave
Chaney's Laptop
2009-05-26 07:35:12 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Yeti
Been there myself - Minidisc, Playstation 3...
I have had a play station 1 in my lap for years ;-)
Dave
I have an original Playstation boxed and unused...I bought it as they were
phasing them out and introducing the Playstation "One"...

http://www.chaney.i12.com
Dave
2009-05-25 23:12:23 UTC
Post by jim stewart
Post by Yeti
Of course, the UK Government crippling BSB with multi-million pound
debts by making them build two of their own satellites meant BSB couldn't
afford to buy up all the good programs, and Sky got them all.
Consumers simply went where the choice (or lack thereof) forced them to go.
I had ...BSB ...Betamax ...etc
I've got to say that you chose kwality Jim, but arseholes like Murdoch
undermined the quality systems to promote the things that they thought
could make them more money.

Look at Murdoch's present position with sky hd, he can't provide for at
least 6 months.

Dave
Dave
2009-05-25 23:08:09 UTC
Post by Peter Day
Post by Walt Davidson
[...]
I don't watch much TV because of the above. Did you see today that one
of the ITV freeview channels has nothing on, but 'on the buses' from
morning till late night?

Now that is what I call quality television. Not

A few months ago, BBC put on one of their digi chanels 'The Onedin Line'
(the first ever episode.) I was most disapointed to find out it was a
one off. Old tv is far better than this modern crap.

Dave
Walt Davidson
2009-05-26 08:11:56 UTC
Post by Dave
I don't watch much TV because of the above. Did you see today that one
of the ITV freeview channels has nothing on, but 'on the buses' from
morning till late night?
Now that is what I call quality television. Not
That's what you get for being a cheapskate and watching Freeview.
What do you expect for nothing?

If you put your hand in your pocket and got a decent Sky TV package,
you would have a wide choice of new programmes, live sport and
recently-released movies to watch.
:-)

73 de Wlat
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Yeti
2009-05-26 09:18:12 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Dave
I don't watch much TV because of the above. Did you see today that one
of the ITV freeview channels has nothing on, but 'on the buses' from
morning till late night?
Now that is what I call quality television. Not
That's what you get for being a cheapskate and watching Freeview.
What do you expect for nothing?
If you put your hand in your pocket and got a decent Sky TV package,
you would have a wide choice of new programmes, live sport and
recently-released movies to watch.
:-)
73 de Wlat
Internet still has them first. Sky One wanted to make me wait until
Wednesday to watch the very last of Prison Break.

Nothing more infuriating that waiting an extra few days to watch
something the Americans have already watched. No need.

Still, can't beat a lot of the stuff I watch on Nat Geo.

Really annoying that Sky's on demand thing isn't available to Cable
viewers, even though I pay for Sky's channels just the same.
Dave
2009-05-26 22:48:30 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Dave
I don't watch much TV because of the above. Did you see today that one
of the ITV freeview channels has nothing on, but 'on the buses' from
morning till late night?
Now that is what I call quality television. Not
That's what you get for being a cheapskate and watching Freeview.
What do you expect for nothing?
If you put your hand in your pocket and got a decent Sky TV package,
you would have a wide choice of new programmes, live sport and
recently-released movies to watch.
:-)
We have sky in the lounge and that, to my mind, is worse than freeview.
The only things we don't have are the pay to view channels.

In the shack I can record off all terestial channels and re recorded a
copy of Where Eagles Dare the other night. I was up there last night
looking at daughters in car entertainment dvd system. I thought I would
watch the first hour, while I dabbled and then go back downstairs. I
ended up watching the whole 3 hours of it.

Dave
l***@eternal-flames.gov
2009-05-27 06:05:40 UTC
On Tue, 26 May 2009 09:11:56 +0100, Walt Davidson
Post by Walt Davidson
If you put your hand in your pocket and got a decent Sky TV package,
you would have a wide choice of new programmes, live sport and
recently-released movies to watch.
If you put your hand in your pocket, you're more likely to find some
bleedin' MP's hand in there helping him/herself to any cash you have.

Nick.
Brian Morrison
2009-05-27 08:07:59 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Dave
I don't watch much TV because of the above. Did you see today that one
of the ITV freeview channels has nothing on, but 'on the buses' from
morning till late night?
Now that is what I call quality television. Not
That's what you get for being a cheapskate and watching Freeview.
What do you expect for nothing?
Oddly enough, I thought that we all have to pay for a TV licence fee,
thus making all TV non-free.
Post by Walt Davidson
If you put your hand in your pocket and got a decent Sky TV package,
you would have a wide choice of new programmes, live sport and
recently-released movies to watch.
I would have thought you were too busy working hordes of DX stations on
CW to watch TV Walt....

Brian Morrison
2009-05-25 09:34:43 UTC
On Mon, 25 May 2009 08:07:20 +0100
Post by Walt Davidson
It's a similar phenomenon to the "anti-Murdoch" brigade. They just
can't stand the idea of anyone having a successful business.
Er, no. I can't stand the idea of someone like Murdoch having a
successful business. Just don't like the man.

I think Private Eye said it best, when they published a short piece
about how a well known cancer had contracted Rupert Murdoch but it was
felt that it would be possible for the Murdoch to be excised and the
cancer to continue to live a normal life afterwards.

Brian Reay
2009-05-25 10:09:58 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
It's a similar phenomenon to the "anti-Murdoch" brigade. They just
can't stand the idea of anyone having a successful business.
Er, no. I can't stand the idea of someone like Murdoch having a
successful business. Just don't like the man.
Which rather confirms Walt's point.

I doubt you've ever met Murdoch so your perception of him is a "low down
money grabbing capitalist" (or something similar) is based on secondhand
knowledge. However, Murdoch is successful because he took on essentially
failing concerns and did what was required to turn them around. Had he not
done so, the companies would have failed and even more jobs would have been
lost. Business requires tough decisions, as a nation tend not to like
people who are prepared to make them.

Of course, I could be wrong- may be you run a multi-million pound, highly
successful, business and have never had to reduce staff or buy out a
competitor.
Post by Brian Morrison
I think Private Eye said it best, when they published a short piece
about how a well known cancer had contracted Rupert Murdoch but it was
felt that it would be possible for the Murdoch to be excised and the
cancer to continue to live a normal life afterwards.
Very bad taste.

--
73
Brian G8OSN / W8OSN
www.g8osn.org.uk
Walt Davidson
2009-05-25 10:16:21 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Walt Davidson
It's a similar phenomenon to the "anti-Murdoch" brigade. They just
can't stand the idea of anyone having a successful business.
Er, no. I can't stand the idea of someone like Murdoch having a
successful business. Just don't like the man.
Which rather confirms Walt's point.
I doubt you've ever met Murdoch so your perception of him is a "low down
money grabbing capitalist" (or something similar) is based on secondhand
knowledge. However, Murdoch is successful because he took on essentially
failing concerns and did what was required to turn them around. Had he not
done so, the companies would have failed and even more jobs would have been
lost. Business requires tough decisions, as a nation tend not to like
people who are prepared to make them.
I don't often agree with you, Brian ... but when you're right, you're
right!
Post by Brian Reay
Of course, I could be wrong- may be you run a multi-million pound, highly
successful, business and have never had to reduce staff or buy out a
competitor.
Maybe! Bwaaahahaha!

73 de G3NYY
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Brian Reay
2009-05-25 10:25:26 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Brian Reay
I doubt you've ever met Murdoch so your perception of him is a "low down
money grabbing capitalist" (or something similar) is based on secondhand
knowledge. However, Murdoch is successful because he took on essentially
failing concerns and did what was required to turn them around. Had he not
done so, the companies would have failed and even more jobs would have been
lost. Business requires tough decisions, as a nation tend not to like
people who are prepared to make them.
I don't often agree with you, Brian ... but when you're right, you're
right!
And some say you are a lost cause ;-)

--
73
Brian G8OSN / W8OSN
www.g8osn.org.uk
s***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-25 19:54:08 UTC
On Mon, 25 May 2009 11:16:21 +0100, Walt Davidson
<***@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Then again. Brian supported the F/L and made Amateur Radio even worse
than it already was.
813
2009-05-25 10:25:26 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
Of course, I could be wrong- may be you run a multi-million pound, highly
successful, business and have never had to reduce staff or buy out a
competitor.
--
73
Brian G8OSN / W8OSN
www.g8osn.org.uk
You have never run any sort of business successful or otherwise.

813
Brian Morrison
2009-05-25 10:50:01 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
It's a similar phenomenon to the "anti-Murdoch" brigade. They just
can't stand the idea of anyone having a successful business.
Er, no. I can't stand the idea of someone like Murdoch having a
successful business. Just don't like the man.
Which rather confirms Walt's point.
Walt's point was that "they just can't stand the idea of *anyone* (my
emphasis) having a successful business". I was pointing out that I am
happy for people to have successful businesses providing that their
treatment of their staff and of their readership is not too poor.
Murdoch fails that last test in my opinion.
Post by Brian Reay
I doubt you've ever met Murdoch so your perception of him is a "low down
money grabbing capitalist" (or something similar) is based on secondhand
knowledge. However, Murdoch is successful because he took on essentially
failing concerns and did what was required to turn them around. Had he not
done so, the companies would have failed and even more jobs would have been
lost. Business requires tough decisions, as a nation tend not to like
people who are prepared to make them.
I appreciate what he needed to do, but what I dislike about him in
particular is that he uses his news businesses to promote his own
opinion rather than encouraging independent thought from his editors
and truthful reporting from their reporters. In short, his news brands
are lacking in honesty.
Post by Brian Reay
Of course, I could be wrong- may be you run a multi-million pound, highly
successful, business and have never had to reduce staff or buy out a
competitor.
I do, and have done, none of those things. But as an individual I'm
entitled to my opinions, and where possible I withhold any and all cash
from businesses I know are owned by Murdoch.
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Brian Morrison
I think Private Eye said it best, when they published a short piece
about how a well known cancer had contracted Rupert Murdoch but it was
felt that it would be possible for the Murdoch to be excised and the
cancer to continue to live a normal life afterwards.
Very bad taste.
To be effective, much humour needs to abandon notions of taste....

Dave
2009-05-25 23:25:37 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
I think Private Eye said it best, when they published a short piece
about how a well known cancer had contracted Rupert Murdoch but it was
felt that it would be possible for the Murdoch to be excised and the
cancer to continue to live a normal life afterwards.
Very bad taste.
I find that quite funny, as I hate the man. He was responsable for
voting in the labour party in 1997, by using one of the comics that he
had bought to promote him. Now look at the mess that Murdoch has got us
into. Over the last 2 years, I have been buying the comic that got Blair
the vote and there has been no good comments about him in all that time.

Dave
Walt Davidson
2009-05-26 08:13:37 UTC
Post by Dave
I find that quite funny, as I hate the man. He was responsable for
voting in the labour party in 1997, by using one of the comics that he
had bought to promote him. Now look at the mess that Murdoch has got us
into. Over the last 2 years, I have been buying the comic that got Blair
the vote and there has been no good comments about him in all that time.
Your remarks make no sense. What on earth are you on about?

73 de Wlat
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Brian Morrison
2009-05-27 08:05:50 UTC
On Tue, 26 May 2009 09:13:37 +0100
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Dave
I find that quite funny, as I hate the man. He was responsable for
voting in the labour party in 1997, by using one of the comics that he
had bought to promote him. Now look at the mess that Murdoch has got us
into. Over the last 2 years, I have been buying the comic that got Blair
the vote and there has been no good comments about him in all that time.
Your remarks make no sense. What on earth are you on about?
He's saying that Murdoch has suddenly dropped his support of Nu Liebour
whereas he was fully behind them in 1997; apparently what Murdoch's
newspapers print appears to alter people's voting behaviour.

Brian Reay
2009-05-25 10:20:08 UTC
Post by Peter Day
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
73 de G3NYY
[cue a chorus of the usual voices proclaiming that Firefox, Opera,
etc, etc, etc ... are all better than any Microsoft product]
Yes they all are !
Safari on a Mac is better still.
Anything is better than "Windoze" ...
It's your loss for being so prejudiced.
Safari is nicely "uncluttered". I also quite like Chrome- mainly as it
defaults to a much large "share" of the screen to the browsing window.
However, for all-round "compatibility" IE generally seems to have the edge.

I really don't understand this anti-MS brigade. I struggle to recall a
serious problem with XP, Vista, (or the earlier "OSs") which were any worse
that the various options. Linux never really took off in the desktop / home
environment until it started to look like Windows and I am less that
convinced that the plethora of Linux versions is a good thing. At one time
in the UNIX world the BSD / SVR4 debate was enough (ignoring the also rans
like SCO, HPUNIX, DECUNIX) etc. In the Linux world the seem to be dozens of
"flavours".

--
73
Brian G8OSN / W8OSN
www.g8osn.org.uk
Brian Morrison
2009-05-25 10:55:57 UTC
On Mon, 25 May 2009 11:20:08 +0100
I am less that convinced that the plethora of Linux versions is a
good thing
To know whether it is requires one to define why it would be. People
use the flavour they like for their own reasons, and most of us are not
interested in taking over the world.

The one requirement is that all OSs can interoperate using open
standards, once that is achieved then it's a matter of personal choice
and you won't hear me complaining about someone else's choice on that
ground.

I only get unhappy when the particular situation blocks access unless
one is using an approved solution which locks out other solutions.

Yeti
2009-05-25 11:10:43 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Yeti
Anything's better than Internet Explorer.
I don't agree. Internet Explorer is the industry standard.
73 de G3NYY
Actually, no, it's not. Internet Explorer is very much non-standard. It
includes coding anomalies designed deliberately to be incompatible with
the published standards, so people who use Microsoft software to produce
and run their sites have to rely on people using IE for it to work properly.

-------
Post by Walt Davidson
(1) by archiving Usenet postings without my permission
You post it on Usenet, therefore you made it Public Domain.
Post by Walt Davidson
(2) By photographing my property and publishing the images on the
Internet ... again without my permission.
Which anyone can do, perfectly legally.
Post by Walt Davidson
(3) By sharing their archived records, including everybody's Google
search histories, with the CIA and other sinister organisations.
73 de Wlat
Now, there you have a good point.

------
Post by Walt Davidson
I really don't understand this anti-MS brigade. I struggle to recall a
serious problem with XP, Vista, (or the earlier "OSs") which were any worse
that the various options. Linux never really took off in the desktop / home
environment until it started to look like Windows..
You mean until it started to look like Mac OS, which in turn, looked
like something Xerox developed before Steve Jobs pinched the idea.

The problems with Windows and it's various flavours...

1) Microsoft's almost total market dominance, achieved through many
businesss tactics, just as many of them underhand and possibly illegal,
as there were legitimate ones.

2) Microsoft's forceful (and thereby illegal) installation of software
without the user's explicit approval - namely the "Windows Genuine
Advantage" tool, among others - which often incorrectly determines legit
installs of Windows XP/Vista to be pirate.

3) Microsoft's forced obsolescence program - forcing people to
constantly upgrade both software and PCs that may be perfectly suitable
for their intended role

4) Microsoft's woeful record on security - security holes are frequently
found in MS products, and take ages to be patched. Open Source
equivalents are patched in hours or days, not weeks or months. In one
case, a known virus managed to infect a large portion of Microsoft's own
computer system because they hadn't even installed the patch for the
security hole, even though they had known about it for months.

There's many, many more - but that'll do plenty fo now.

Long and short of it, I hate what Macs have become, and I have Linux -
but a lot of the programs I use can't be run on those, so I have no
option but to use Windows. I just don't use any other MS software.
l***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-25 11:16:04 UTC
Nobody forces you to do this.
Yeti
2009-05-25 15:17:02 UTC
Post by l***@invalid.invalid
Post by Yeti
3) Microsoft's forced obsolescence program - forcing people to
constantly upgrade both software and PCs that may be perfectly suitable
for their intended role
Nobody forces you to do this.
Yes they do - they stop producing security updates for them, leaving
your PC vulnerable to lots of nasty crap.

So your choice is to disconnect from the internet, or upgrade your PC.

Or move to Linux.
l***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-25 15:18:07 UTC
Post by Yeti
Post by l***@invalid.invalid
Post by Yeti
3) Microsoft's forced obsolescence program - forcing people to
constantly upgrade both software and PCs that may be perfectly suitable
for their intended role
Nobody forces you to do this.
Yes they do - they stop producing security updates for them, leaving
your PC vulnerable to lots of nasty crap.
So your choice is to disconnect from the internet, or upgrade your PC.
Or move to Linux.
No not every PC is connected to the Internet. Your choice.

Liam
Yeti
They're not much use these days without it.
l***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-25 15:21:59 UTC
ROTFLMAO
Dave
2009-05-25 23:35:31 UTC
Post by l***@invalid.invalid
Post by Yeti
Post by l***@invalid.invalid
Post by Yeti
3) Microsoft's forced obsolescence program - forcing people to
constantly upgrade both software and PCs that may be perfectly suitable
for their intended role
Nobody forces you to do this.
Yes they do - they stop producing security updates for them, leaving
your PC vulnerable to lots of nasty crap.
So your choice is to disconnect from the internet, or upgrade your PC.
Or move to Linux.
No not every PC is connected to the Internet. Your choice.
What are we talking about here? 1 %

Dave
l***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-26 05:42:34 UTC
Post by Dave
What are we talking about here? 1 %
No take a look at the figures for UK Internet access.

BTW quick count at work gives 80% not connected but suspect that figure to be
reversed in the general population.

However it is the fixation on Linux v Microsoft that gets me. Both do a job.
Jim
2009-05-26 14:44:33 UTC
Post by l***@invalid.invalid
Post by Dave
What are we talking about here? 1 %
No take a look at the figures for UK Internet access.
BTW quick count at work gives 80% not connected but suspect that figure to be
reversed in the general population.
However it is the fixation on Linux v Microsoft that gets me. Both do a job.
One rather more effectively than the other.
--
Jim, G4RGA

Life's too short for Linux.
l***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-26 15:02:50 UTC
Post by Jim
One rather more effectively than the other.
Depends on the job

Liam
Jim
2009-05-27 15:37:30 UTC
Post by l***@invalid.invalid
Post by Jim
One rather more effectively than the other.
Depends on the job
I recall recently struggling for a week to find Ubuntu
software (drivers) to enable it to perform the simple task of
writing an .MP3 file ...
--
Jim, G4RGA

Life's too short for Linux.
l***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-27 15:52:00 UTC
Post by Jim
I recall recently struggling for a week to find Ubuntu
software (drivers) to enable it to perform the simple task of
writing an .MP3 file ...
I have to ask why. When 5 minutes would have got a suitable Windows
alternative?

Liam
Yeti
2009-05-27 16:40:49 UTC
Post by l***@invalid.invalid
Post by Jim
I recall recently struggling for a week to find Ubuntu
software (drivers) to enable it to perform the simple task of
writing an .MP3 file ...
I have to ask why. When 5 minutes would have got a suitable Windows
alternative?
Liam
You obviously didn't look too hard. You don't need a driver for that at
all - you need a sound editing program, same as windows.

Audacity is what you want for BOTH platfoms!

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
Jim
2009-05-28 18:39:49 UTC
Post by Yeti
Post by l***@invalid.invalid
Post by Jim
I recall recently struggling for a week to find Ubuntu
software (drivers) to enable it to perform the simple task of
writing an .MP3 file ...
I have to ask why. When 5 minutes would have got a suitable Windows
alternative?
You obviously didn't look too hard. You don't need a driver for that at
all - you need a sound editing program, same as windows.
Audacity is what you want for BOTH platfoms!
I know, but try getting Audacity for Ubuntu with the LAME
file included! I knew exactly which file I needed and
where it was meant to reside, but it just wasn't possible
to get LAME without several MB of other unnecessary junk
of which I had no need.

That, networking and video drivers. I gave up in the end
and put XP back on that machine. Ubuntu doesn't work out
of the box!
--
Jim, G4RGA

Life's too short for Linux.
Brian Morrison
2009-05-27 16:09:33 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by l***@invalid.invalid
Post by Jim
One rather more effectively than the other.
Depends on the job
I recall recently struggling for a week to find Ubuntu
software (drivers) to enable it to perform the simple task of
writing an .MP3 file ...
Ah, but the correct response is to agree that open source formats are
preferred and to write in Ogg Vorbis format.

MP3 is still patented, and should be avoided where possible for that reason.
Brian
l***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-27 16:50:43 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
MP3 is still patented, and should be avoided where possible for that reason.
Watch out the other Brian will be along in a minute to sell you a $20 chip to
do it for you

Liam
813

813
Brian Morrison
2009-05-27 08:09:00 UTC
On Tue, 26 May 2009 14:44:33 +0000
Post by Jim
Post by l***@invalid.invalid
However it is the fixation on Linux v Microsoft that gets me. Both do a job.
One rather more effectively than the other.
Yes, I've always found Windows to be inferior too.

Yeti
2009-05-25 07:27:42 UTC
Post by Peter Day
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
73 de G3NYY
[cue a chorus of the usual voices proclaiming that Firefox, Opera,
etc, etc, etc ... are all better than any Microsoft product]
Yes they all are !
Safari on a Mac is better still.
Anything is better than "Windoze" ...
Peter G3PHO
Safari's better than Firefox?

Can you send me some of what you're smoking please, it must be good stuff!
jim stewart
2009-05-25 07:52:42 UTC
they grow it in paisley you know ................
Walt Davidson
2009-05-25 08:21:28 UTC
Post by Yeti
Post by Peter Day
Yes they all are !
Safari on a Mac is better still.
Anything is better than "Windoze" ...
Peter G3PHO
Safari's better than Firefox?
Can you send me some of what you're smoking please, it must be good stuff!
I've never even heard of Safari. Obviously some obscure,
minority-interest package.

73 de G3NYY
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Yeti
2009-05-25 09:29:14 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Yeti
Post by Peter Day
Yes they all are !
Safari on a Mac is better still.
Anything is better than "Windoze" ...
Peter G3PHO
Safari's better than Firefox?
Can you send me some of what you're smoking please, it must be good stuff!
I've never even heard of Safari. Obviously some obscure,
minority-interest package.
73 de G3NYY
Apple's semi-open source browser, full of security holes (compared to
Firefox) and upon which Google Chrome was based.

Anything's better than Internet Explorer.
Walt Davidson
2009-05-25 10:13:42 UTC
Post by Yeti
Apple's semi-open source browser, full of security holes (compared to
Firefox) and upon which Google Chrome was based.
Apple? Is that something to do with iPods?

I have heard of Google Chrome, but only because the first page of
their search engine keeps trying to get me to try it.

Dave
2009-05-25 22:57:41 UTC
Post by Yeti
Anything's better than Internet Explorer.
I don't agree. Internet Explorer is the industry standard.
For poor quality software and having the most fixes to cover the holes
that the software developers missed. I can see that now.

Dave
Jim
2009-05-26 14:39:33 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Yeti
Anything's better than Internet Explorer.
I don't agree. Internet Explorer is the industry standard.
For poor quality software and having the most fixes to cover the holes
that the software developers missed. I can see that now.
There's little doubt that Firefox is now the
leader in this field.
--
Jim, G4RGA

Life's too short for Linux.
Walt Davidson
2009-05-26 18:19:54 UTC
Post by Jim
There's little doubt that Firefox is now the
leader in this field.
Nobody but nerds and anoraks have even heard of it!

73 de G3NYY
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Paul Shayler
2009-05-27 22:34:41 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Jim
There's little doubt that Firefox is now the
leader in this field.
Nobody but nerds and anoraks have even heard of it!
73 de G3NYY
You must get out more Walt.

Paul G6TSF
--
Paul Shayler M3TSF/G6TSF
Running the Internet accelerator ONSPEED.
Details at http://www.onspeed.com
Steve Terry
2009-05-26 19:45:35 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Dave
Post by Yeti
Anything's better than Internet Explorer.
I don't agree. Internet Explorer is the industry standard.
For poor quality software and having the most fixes to cover the holes
that the software developers missed. I can see that now.
There's little doubt that Firefox is now the
leader in this field.
Jim, G4RGA
More copies of FF are now being downloaded than copies of IE

IE is dominant cos it's included

Steve Terry
Walt Davidson
2009-05-26 20:34:53 UTC
Post by Steve Terry
More copies of FF are now being downloaded than copies of IE
IE is dominant cos it's included
Exactly. In fact, it's the industry standard.

73 de G3NYY
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Yeti

I exlained it once, I'm not doing it again.
Steve Terry
2009-05-26 22:41:53 UTC
Post by Steve Terry
More copies of FF are now being downloaded than copies of IE
IE is dominant cos it's included
Exactly. In fact, it's the industry standard.
73 de G3NYY
--
no, it's not.

I exlained it once, I'm not doing it again.
Good, does that mean you are going away?

Steve Terry
Yeti
Nope.
s***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-26 23:39:54 UTC
On Tue, 26 May 2009 21:34:53 +0100, Walt Davidson

No. IE is not the industry standard.
Steve Terry
2009-05-27 07:47:06 UTC
Post by s***@invalid.invalid
On Tue, 26 May 2009 21:34:53 +0100, Walt Davidson
No. IE is not the industry standard.
What would you know of standards??

Steve Terry
s***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-28 19:39:23 UTC
On Wed, 27 May 2009 08:47:06 +0100, "Steve Terry" <***@tesco.net>

Whatever the answer should be, there is no point to tell you.
Steve Terry
2009-05-29 15:16:03 UTC
Post by s***@invalid.invalid
Whatever the answer should be, there is no point to tell you.
I blame the NHS

Steve Terry
Dave
2009-05-26 22:51:00 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Dave
Post by Yeti
Anything's better than Internet Explorer.
I don't agree. Internet Explorer is the industry standard.
For poor quality software and having the most fixes to cover the holes
that the software developers missed. I can see that now.
There's little doubt that Firefox is now the
leader in this field.
I love it, well not in the biblical sense.

Dave
l***@invalid.invalid
2009-05-27 07:06:05 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Dave
For poor quality software and having the most fixes to cover the holes
that the software developers missed. I can see that now.
There's little doubt that Firefox is now the
leader in this field.
Yes FF is certainly catching IE in the quality or otherwise stakes

Liam
Walt Davidson
2009-05-25 10:20:48 UTC
Post by Yeti
Apple's semi-open source browser, full of security holes (compared to
Firefox) and upon which Google Chrome was based.
BTW, I dislike Google because they encroach upon my right to privacy:

Dave
2009-05-25 22:58:58 UTC
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Yeti
Apple's semi-open source browser, full of security holes (compared to
Firefox) and upon which Google Chrome was based.
(1) by archiving Usenet postings without my permission
(2) By photographing my property and publishing the images on the
Internet ... again without my permission.
(3) By sharing their archived records, including everybody's Google
search histories, with the CIA and other sinister organisations.
It's not so often you are wrong,

But you are right again.

Dave
Spike
2009-05-26 08:09:07 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Yeti
Apple's semi-open source browser, full of security holes (compared to
Firefox) and upon which Google Chrome was based.
(1) by archiving Usenet postings without my permission
(2) By photographing my property and publishing the images on the
Internet ... again without my permission.
(3) By sharing their archived records, including everybody's Google
search histories, with the CIA and other sinister organisations.
It's not so often you are wrong,
But you are right again.
Perhaps the real question here is what Walt is afraid of.

After all, if he has nothing to hide, he has nothing to fear. LOL.
--
from
Aero Spike
Not a member of the RSGB for 50 years 1959 - 2009
Walt Davidson
2009-05-26 11:18:33 UTC
Post by Spike
After all, if he has nothing to hide, he has nothing to fear. LOL.
To use the hackneyed phrase.

73 de Wlat
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Paul Shayler
2009-05-27 22:29:01 UTC
Post by Peter Day
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
73 de G3NYY
[cue a chorus of the usual voices proclaiming that Firefox, Opera,
etc, etc, etc ... are all better than any Microsoft product]
Yes they all are !
Safari on a Mac is better still.
Anything is better than "Windoze" ...
Peter G3PHO
Iv'e just migrated from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook at work, I now have 3
mail files to work with. I did not know things could be such fun :?)

Paul S. G6TSF
813
2009-05-27 23:14:41 UTC
Post by Paul Shayler
Post by Peter Day
Post by Walt Davidson
I have installed Internet Explorer 8. It does seem better than
Version 7.
73 de G3NYY
[cue a chorus of the usual voices proclaiming that Firefox, Opera,
etc, etc, etc ... are all better than any Microsoft product]
Yes they all are !
Safari on a Mac is better still.
Anything is better than "Windoze" ...
Peter G3PHO
Iv'e just migrated from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook at work, I now have 3
mail files to work with. I did not know things could be such fun :?)
Paul S. G6TSF
outhouse must look like a breath of fresh air after lotus notes but you
will find better software in the free world...

813
Yeti
2009-05-27 23:42:24 UTC
Post by Paul Shayler
Iv'e just migrated from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook at work, I now have 3
mail files to work with. I did not know things could be such fun :?)
Paul S. G6TSF
Migrated?

You mean downgraded.
Chris Kirby
2009-05-27 23:50:22 UTC
Post by Yeti
Post by Paul Shayler
Iv'e just migrated from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook at work, I now have 3
mail files to work with. I did not know things could be such fun :?)
Paul S. G6TSF
Migrated?
You mean downgraded.
Lotus notes was ok - but the other Lotus programs that it works with
are not very friendly. And does anyone still use Wordpro/Amipro these
days?
73, Chris
Walt Davidson
2009-05-28 08:01:16 UTC
Post by Chris Kirby
Lotus notes was ok - but the other Lotus programs that it works with
are not very friendly. And does anyone still use Wordpro/Amipro these
days?
I used Wordperfect at work!

73 de Wlat
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Dave
2009-05-28 17:39:49 UTC
Post by Chris Kirby
Post by Yeti
Post by Paul Shayler
Iv'e just migrated from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook at work, I now have 3
mail files to work with. I did not know things could be such fun :?)
Paul S. G6TSF
Migrated?
You mean downgraded.
Lotus notes was ok - but the other Lotus programs that it works with
are not very friendly. And does anyone still use Wordpro/Amipro these
days?
I still use Amipro, cos that was what I was brought up on. At least the
Canadians speak English.

Dave
Jim
2009-05-28 18:42:37 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Chris Kirby
Post by Yeti
Post by Paul Shayler
Iv'e just migrated from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook at work, I now have 3
mail files to work with. I did not know things could be such fun :?)
Paul S. G6TSF
Migrated?
You mean downgraded.
Lotus notes was ok - but the other Lotus programs that it works with
are not very friendly. And does anyone still use Wordpro/Amipro these
days?
I still use Amipro, cos that was what I was brought up on. At least the
Canadians speak English.
They don't, any more than their good buddies the
Yanks do!
--
Jim, G4RGA

Life's too short for Linux.
Dave
2009-05-28 19:31:48 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Dave
Post by Chris Kirby
Post by Yeti
Post by Paul Shayler
Iv'e just migrated from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook at work, I now have 3
mail files to work with. I did not know things could be such fun :?)
Paul S. G6TSF
Migrated?
You mean downgraded.
Lotus notes was ok - but the other Lotus programs that it works with
are not very friendly. And does anyone still use Wordpro/Amipro these
days?
I still use Amipro, cos that was what I was brought up on. At least the
Canadians speak English.
They don't, any more than their good buddies the
Yanks do!
Well, the interface is more English :-)

Dave
Catweazel
2009-05-27 08:50:24 UTC
I have installed Internet Explorer 8.  It does seem better than
Version 7.
Not seen it yet; in what respect do you find it better, Wlat?

I guess that our corporate network will get around to installing IE8 -
probably when IE99 is released vbg.
OTOH at home I have the choice: IE7 or Firefox.
_ _
Walt Davidson
2009-05-27 16:43:55 UTC
On Wed, 27 May 2009 01:50:24 -0700 (PDT), Catweazel
Post by Catweazel
I have installed Internet Explorer 8.  It does seem better than
Version 7.
Not seen it yet; in what respect do you find it better, Wlat?
It's faster, and there are several new features including an enhanced
"favourites" facility plus automated "suggested web pages" based on
your browsing history. You can also switch off the audit trail of
pages visited (so-called "Safe Browsing") and you can get advance
warning of dodgy pages before you access them.

73 de Wlat
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Jim
2009-05-28 18:40:47 UTC
Post by Catweazel
I have installed Internet Explorer 8.  It does seem better than
Version 7.
Not seen it yet; in what respect do you find it better, Wlat?
It's faster, and there are several new features including an enhanced
"favourites" facility plus automated "suggested web pages" based on
your browsing history. You can also switch off the audit trail of
pages visited (so-called "Safe Browsing") and you can get advance
warning of dodgy pages before you access them.
I've had all of that on Firefox for over a year!
--
Jim, G4RGA

Life's too short for Linux.
Walt Davidson
2009-05-28 19:50:36 UTC
Post by Jim
I've had all of that on Firefox for over a year!
Well, of course you would say that ....

73 de Wlat
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
Jim
2009-05-29 18:13:50 UTC
On Thu, 28 May 2009 20:50:36 +0100, Walt Davidson
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Jim
I've had all of that on Firefox for over a year!
Well, of course you would say that ....
Clearly you know somewhat less than sod all about Firefox.
--
Jim, G4RGA

Dyslexics of the world, untie!
Walt Davidson
2009-05-29 21:14:44 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Walt Davidson
Post by Jim
I've had all of that on Firefox for over a year!
Well, of course you would say that ....
Clearly you know somewhat less than sod all about Firefox.
LOL! I have been using Firefox for about three years. I currently
have Ver. 3.0.10. I still far prefer Microsoft Internet Explorer.

73 de G3NYY
--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com