MPT 1336 49MHz
2017-06-14 16:01:40 UTC
Just been given a couple of kiddies' walkie talkies
claiming to be MPT 1336 on 49 MHz.

Are these legal, for I've been unsuccessful in googling
for MPT 1336 specification?

TIA.
Brian Morrison
2017-06-14 17:04:15 UTC
On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 17:01:40 +0100
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
Just been given a couple of kiddies' walkie talkies
claiming to be MPT 1336 on 49 MHz.
Are these legal, for I've been unsuccessful in googling
for MPT 1336 specification?
TIA.
MPT 1336 has been superseded by ETSI Standard EN 300 220-1.
Brian Morrison
Jeefaw K. Effkay
They're OK. You may use these safe in the knowledge that such use says no more about you than having a land-line telephone, whilst continuing to regard Ham Radio as a separate technical pursuit.
mm0fmf
2017-06-14 18:09:45 UTC
Post by Jeefaw K. Effkay
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
Just been given a couple of kiddies' walkie talkies
claiming to be MPT 1336 on 49 MHz.
Are these legal, for I've been unsuccessful in googling
for MPT 1336 specification?
They're OK. You may use these safe in the knowledge that such use says no more about you than having a land-line telephone, whilst continuing to regard Ham Radio as a separate technical pursuit.
There are plenty of reports on the net of people using these to work
distances of more than 1/4 of mile.
Brian Reay
But did he get all the pages of the instruction book? ;-)
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2017-06-14 19:44:04 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Jeefaw K. Effkay
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
Just been given a couple of kiddies' walkie talkies
claiming to be MPT 1336 on 49 MHz.
Are these legal, for I've been unsuccessful in googling
for MPT 1336 specification?
They're OK. You may use these safe in the knowledge that such use says
no more about you than having a land-line telephone, whilst continuing
to regard Ham Radio as a separate technical pursuit.
There are plenty of reports on the net of people using these to work >
distances of more than 1/4 of mile.
But did he get all the pages of the instruction book? ;-)
the old joke are the worse ...