Hedi Lamarr
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
2018-03-07 11:19:41 UTC
See the news is on about her communications invention but didn't say what it
was...too complicated for joe public I suppose.......
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
2018-03-07 11:23:07 UTC
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
See the news is on about her communications invention but didn't say what
it was...too complicated for joe public I suppose.......
I also found it an advantage in life to have good looks and intelligence
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
2018-03-07 11:24:54 UTC
...only kidding...tee hee
Gareth's Downstairs Computer
2018-03-07 11:25:59 UTC
Freqyency hopping
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
nah frequency hopping ......
Ian Jackson
2018-03-07 13:58:07 UTC
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
See the news is on about her communications invention but didn't say what it
was...too complicated for joe public I suppose.......
Freqyency hopping
nah frequency hopping ......
The nearest I get is 'frequently hoping'.
Ian
James Stewart
better to live in hope ......
Brian Morrison
2018-03-07 14:32:18 UTC
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:25:57 -0000
Post by James Stewart
better to live in hope ......
Than die in Castleford?
Brian Morrison
Ian Jackson
2018-03-07 15:39:34 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:25:57 -0000
Post by James Stewart
better to live in hope ......
Than die in Castleford?
The significance (like most things) escapes me!
Ian
Brian Morrison
2018-03-07 15:51:57 UTC
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 15:39:34 +0000
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Brian Morrison
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:25:57 -0000
Post by James Stewart
better to live in hope ......
Than die in Castleford?
The significance (like most things) escapes me!
My mistake, it's actually Castleton. A village in the peak district
near to the village of Hope. Perhaps Castleton is particularly
dangerous or maybe just has a higher death rate for some reason.
Brian Morrison
Rambo
2018-03-07 16:11:51 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 15:39:34 +0000
Post by Ian Jackson
Cement dust?
Ian Jackson
2018-03-07 16:54:39 UTC
Post by Rambo
Post by Brian Morrison
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 15:39:34 +0000
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Brian Morrison
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:25:57 -0000
Post by James Stewart
better to live in hope ......
Than die in Castleford?
The significance (like most things) escapes me!
My mistake, it's actually Castleton. A village in the peak district
near to the village of Hope. Perhaps Castleton is particularly
dangerous or maybe just has a higher death rate for some reason.
Cement dust?
http://bit.ly/2toTydJ
Castleton is where 'The Devil's Arse is'.
http://bit.ly/2tsx6kc
I once went to a 'team meeting' in Castleton, and we all spent the night
in a hostel. Nice pub there. I also spent a week in Hope Cove (which is
nowhere near Castleton).
Ian
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
2018-03-08 08:40:18 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:25:57 -0000
Post by James Stewart
better to live in hope ......
Than die in Castleford?
what? ....
mm0fmf
2018-03-07 16:58:38 UTC
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
See the news is on about her communications invention but didn't say
what
it
was...too complicated for joe public I suppose.......
Freqyency hopping
nah frequency hopping ......
The nearest I get is 'frequently hoping'.
'It's not Hedy, it's Hedley. Hedley Lamarr'

Excellent film.

The FH story pops out regularly when papers need to fill some column inches.
Ian Jackson
2018-03-07 17:52:06 UTC
In message <p7p5o3$iee$***@dont-email.me>, mm0fmf <***@invalid.com>
writes
Post by mm0fmf
http://bit.ly/2tvSchJ
http://bit.ly/2trDhVA
Ian
Custos Custodum
2018-03-07 12:43:05 UTC
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 11:19:41 -0000, "Jim.GM4DHJ ..."
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
See the news is on about her communications invention but didn't say what it
was...too complicated for joe public I suppose.......
Hedley was funnier.

Judging by the comments, it seems I'm not the only one who thought
this scene was eerily prescient.
AndyW
2018-03-07 14:36:38 UTC
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
See the news is on about her communications invention but didn't say what it
was...too complicated for joe public I suppose.......
She and a musician friend developed frequency hopping to prevent
jamming. It was supposed to be for radio guided torpedoes but I don't
think it was ever tried in anger during the war.

Andy
Jim.GM4DHJ ...
2018-03-08 08:42:53 UTC
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
See the news is on about her communications invention but didn't say what it
was...too complicated for joe public I suppose.......
She and a musician friend developed frequency hopping to prevent jamming.
It was supposed to be for radio guided torpedoes but I don't think it was
ever tried in anger during the war.
Andy
they didn't use the idea because she was a wummin and wummin just don't have
the grasp ......
AndyW
2018-03-12 07:43:21 UTC
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
Post by Jim.GM4DHJ ...
See the news is on about her communications invention but didn't say what it
was...too complicated for joe public I suppose.......
She and a musician friend developed frequency hopping to prevent jamming.
It was supposed to be for radio guided torpedoes but I don't think it was
ever tried in anger during the war.
Andy
they didn't use the idea because she was a wummin and wummin just don't have
the grasp ......
I think that the bloke she designed it with acted as cover, he was the
bloke and therefore knew all the technical stuff while the little lady
was the eye candy who knew nothing. Shades of Remington Steele there.

I think that the real issue was that they had trouble getting a reliable
synchronisation between the controller and torpedo.

Andy