[AMSAT-UK] Radio amateur brings her hobby to university
AMSAT-UK via rec.radio.info Admin
2018-02-13 00:53:51 UTC
AMSAT-UK

Radio amateur brings her hobby to university

https://amsat-uk.org/2018/02/12/radio-amateur-brings-her-hobby-to-university/

Ruth Willet KM4LAO

Kettering University reports student Ruth Willet KM4LAO brings her amateur
radio expertise to campus.

Ruth, who is double majoring in Mechanical Engineering and Engineering
Physics, was first licensed in June 2015. On her QRZ page she says:

I love getting on the air on amateur radio satellites! I have operated from
a number of grid squares in Georgia, Michigan, Virginia, and more. I am
enjoying the challenge of balancing two radios and an arrow antenna,
changing frequencies, and trying to talk on the satellite and remember
callsigns at the same time! The more passes I do, the more I learn, and I
am having a ton of fun. I started out on FM satellites only, and am slowly
learning how to do linear satellites as well.

The university article reports:

She has found that the skills she learns in classes go hand in hand with
her amateur radio hobby. Willet plans to start up an Amateur Radio Club on
campus in the spring 2018 term to get more students interested.

I really enjoy sharing this hobby with other students,” she said. “I would
encourage people to consider exploring amateur radio because it’s a hobby
that allows you to explore anything from technical electronics to
international friendships. Amateur radio is open to anyone. It will help
develop your professional and personal skills, participate in and learn
from fascinating activities, and connect with an incredible community.”

Read the Kettering University story at

https://news.kettering.edu/news/kettering-university-student-brings-ham-radio-hobby-expertise-campus
Watch Ruths satellite operation at GLHamCon 17

Watch Ruth Willet KM4LAO 2017 Hamvention DX Dinner Keynote Speaker

QRZ https://www.qrz.com/db/KM4LAO

What is Amateur Radio? http://www.essexham.co.uk/what-is-amateur-radio

Find a UK amateur radio training course near you
https://thersgb.org/services/coursefinder/
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2018-02-13 07:47:41 UTC
Post by AMSAT-UK via rec.radio.info Admin
[...]
How come clever burds are always a bit plain ? ......
--
Resisting Freemasonry for 39 years .....