What would be your ideal historical rig?
2017-08-02 19:30:52 UTC
For me, it would be the KW2000, because after
years of dreaming as a teenager as to what
amateur radio might be like, it was the rig
at G3UOE in room 5N73.

The antenna was a TA33Jr, rotated by a cowlgill
motor that had so much starting torque that it
would sometimes chew off the bottom of the
aluminium pole bringing the whole lot crashing down.

I suspect that in the current elfin safety nonsense
that students are no longer permitted free access to the roof.
Chris, N0UK, G4JEC
73 Chris, N0UK, G4JEC
Catweazel
2017-08-03 13:38:13 UTC
Post by Chris, N0UK, G4JEC
I just happened to see there is some chappie over here Stateside that has both
a KW2000A and a KW2000B for sale on ePay.
I liked my first hf radio, KW2000E - however, it just couldn't cope with
the electromagnetic pollution we have around today.
--

---
http://www.avg.com
Jim GM4DHJ ...
the foam turns to goo in the jap filter so no good .......
Gareth's Downstairs Computer
2017-08-03 11:58:31 UTC
"Gareth's Downstairs Computer"
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
For me, it would be the KW2000, because after
years of dreaming as a teenager as to what
amateur radio might be like, it was the rig
at G3UOE in room 5N73.
The antenna was a TA33Jr, rotated by a cowlgill
motor that had so much starting torque that it
would sometimes chew off the bottom of the
aluminium pole bringing the whole lot crashing down.
I suspect that in the current elfin safety nonsense
that students are no longer permitted free access to the roof.
the foam turns to goo in the jap filter so no good .......
Ah, yes, I'd read about that and also came across an article describing
how to solve the problem but it required the patience of a
(make-believe) saint and the dexterity of a watchmaker.

(I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous)
Jim GM4DHJ ...
Viceroy and an SX101A......
A. non Eyemouse
2017-08-03 10:56:00 UTC
"Gareth's Downstairs Computer"
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
For me, it would be the KW2000, because after
years of dreaming as a teenager as to what
amateur radio might be like, it was the rig
at G3UOE in room 5N73.
The antenna was a TA33Jr, rotated by a cowlgill
motor that had so much starting torque that it
would sometimes chew off the bottom of the
aluminium pole bringing the whole lot crashing down.
I suspect that in the current elfin safety nonsense
that students are no longer permitted free access to the roof.
Viceroy and an SX101A......
Sony ICF-2001D (or ICF-2010 for our American cousins).
--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2017-08-03 11:34:47 UTC
Post by A. non Eyemouse
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
"Gareth's Downstairs Computer"
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
For me, it would be the KW2000, because after
years of dreaming as a teenager as to what
amateur radio might be like, it was the rig
at G3UOE in room 5N73.
The antenna was a TA33Jr, rotated by a cowlgill
motor that had so much starting torque that it
would sometimes chew off the bottom of the
aluminium pole bringing the whole lot crashing down.
I suspect that in the current elfin safety nonsense
that students are no longer permitted free access to the roof.
Viceroy and an SX101A......
Sony ICF-2001D (or ICF-2010 for our American cousins).
just received in the post a beautiful Star SR200 just like the one I saw at
my first rally near Colchester in 1974 .....goes well with my Star DX Mates
receiver SR40
Brian Howie
2017-08-03 13:18:57 UTC
For me, it would be the KW2000, because after
years of dreaming as a teenager as to what
amateur radio might be like, it was the rig
at G3UOE in room 5N73.
The antenna was a TA33Jr, rotated by a cowlgill
motor that had so much starting torque that it
would sometimes chew off the bottom of the
aluminium pole bringing the whole lot crashing down.
I suspect that in the current elfin safety nonsense
that students are no longer permitted free access to the roof.
What about one of these mothers ?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Drake-TR-7-Radio-Transceiver/129710778

Brian
Brian Howie
Gareth's Downstairs Computer
2017-08-03 13:45:06 UTC
Post by Brian Howie
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
For me, it would be the KW2000, because after
years of dreaming as a teenager as to what
amateur radio might be like, it was the rig
at G3UOE in room 5N73.
The antenna was a TA33Jr, rotated by a cowlgill
motor that had so much starting torque that it
would sometimes chew off the bottom of the
aluminium pole bringing the whole lot crashing down.
I suspect that in the current elfin safety nonsense
that students are no longer permitted free access to the roof.
What about one of these mothers ?
https://www.ebay.com/p/Drake-TR-7-Radio-Transceiver/129710778
ISTR that Drake gear had a very good reputation but with a young
family to feed followed by grandchildren in the birthday and christmas
presents queue it was always out of reach pricewise.
Jeefaw K. Effkay
2017-08-03 17:08:25 UTC
For me, it would be the KW2000,
FT-101E or FT-200 (although I still have an FT-200)

The FT-200 because it was my first HF rig after I was licensed.
The FT-101E because it was the club's rig at GM4AXG

I also like the Codan NGT, Envoy and 2110 transceivers, having spent 5 years training users and dealers in Nigeria, Cameroon, Mali, Ethiopia, Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. Not ideal for amateur radio, being "channelised", but they're by far the best HF receivers I've ever encountered.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2017-08-03 17:21:30 UTC
...and you ended up in Bracknell how sad....tee hee
Jeefaw K. Effkay
2017-08-03 19:41:35 UTC
...and you ended up in Bracknell how sad....tee hee
That's why I like Lagos. Makes me feel good about living here :-)
Bernie
2017-08-03 18:25:00 UTC
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 10:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
Post by Jeefaw K. Effkay
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
For me, it would be the KW2000,
FT-101E or FT-200 (although I still have an FT-200)
The FT-200 because it was my first HF rig after I was licensed.
The FT-101E because it was the club's rig at GM4AXG
First rig I had was a TS-510 Bought cheap because the PA had had a very
bad experience (not sure how, it had all the pages in the manual) fixed
it and was pleased to get rid of it. My favourite is an FT-902DM that
I've never sold.
Post by Jeefaw K. Effkay
I also like the Codan NGT, Envoy and 2110 transceivers, having spent
5 years training users and dealers in Nigeria, Cameroon, Mali,
Ethiopia, Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. Not ideal for amateur radio,
being "channelised", but they're by far the best HF receivers I've
ever encountered.
<googles>

Interesting.
Jeefaw K. Effkay
2017-08-03 19:43:57 UTC
Post by Jeefaw K. Effkay
Post by Gareth's Downstairs Computer
For me, it would be the KW2000,
FT-101E or FT-200 (although I still have an FT-200)
The FT-200 because it was my first HF rig after I was licensed.
The FT-101E because it was the club's rig at GM4AXG
First rig I had was a TS-510 Bought cheap because the PA had had a very
bad experience (not sure how, it had all the pages in the manual) fixed
it and was pleased to get rid of it. My favourite is an FT-902DM that
I've never sold.
I had an FT-901DM, but I didn't like the ergonomics. It seemed like most of the controls were in the wrong places.
I still have a couple of NGTs (the "SR" model), built from bits I rescued from the skip :-)
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2017-08-07 10:36:03 UTC
I have just bought an FT101ZD and an FT200; the latter was the first
rig I had. Just saw a YT Ovid of an FT902DM and I'm drooling.

I have just joined VMARS and the stuff that they have for sale at
their auctions has to be seen to be believed.
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Brian Reay
2017-08-07 11:17:23 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
I have just bought an FT101ZD and an FT200; the latter was the first
rig I had. Just saw a YT Ovid of an FT902DM and I'm drooling.
I have just joined VMARS and the stuff that they have for sale at
their auctions has to be seen to be believed.
You would have enjoyed our club net this morning. As usual, it tends to
'settle' on a topic someone introduces- this morning it was old radios.
Needless to say, VMARS 'featured'. One of the OPs is refurbing an RA17,
I was surprised to hear him say how little they tend to go for these
days, he mentioned £50, although he didn't indicate what condition you
could expect for that. They are 'respectable' radios and, of course,
classics, but the 'real estate' required can't be dismissed lightly-
even by those of us with dedicate rooms for our hobby.

Another OP on the net is a Clansman man, I believe he has a couple of
sets. He did mention some model numbers but I don't recall them. While i
have repaired the odd Clansman, it isn't a radio I can claim to be
familiar with. Had I not rejected a generous job offer, I would have got
to know its successor very, very well. ;-)

While I'm not a VMARS bod, I did support the idea that there should be a
dedicated allocation in the band plan, as a minimum when 7MHz was
extended, for the VMARS AM people running military kit. It is all very
well saying band plans aren't mandated and there is the 'all modes'
section etc but a dedicated allocation would, hopefully, have
ameliorated some of the 'friction' that occurs from time to time when
the AM and SSB types come face to face.
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
2017-08-07 14:18:57 UTC
Hi Brian,

Interesting post. I just cannot understand why AM should get up
SSB-ers noses as they are in the minority.

VMARS is a great society, but it does seem to have an emphasis on old
military gear. That is am area that does not really interest me at
all. I don't know why, but I have a soft spot for old/oldish Yaesu
kit. I did belong to another society that dealt with restoring old
receivers. They had loads of DVDs that were given to new members as
part of the signup.

I am at a very early stage in starting to restore/service old kit.
Luckily, I do remember a useful mnemonic from watching the old BBC2
trade test transmission films...SIDE. It's for dealing with
capacitors; Switch off, Isolate, Dump (the charge) Earth.
73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Brian Reay
2017-08-07 12:46:20 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Hi Brian,
Interesting post. I just cannot understand why AM should get up
SSB-ers noses as they are in the minority.
It is about 'bandwidth' and 'taking space'. My view is we should
'allocate' (for want of a better word) space so people can co-exist and
everyone can enjoy the hobby. It isn't as if, most of the time, the
bands are 'jam packed' full.
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
VMARS is a great society, but it does seem to have an emphasis on old
military gear. That is am area that does not really interest me at
all. I don't know why, but I have a soft spot for old/oldish Yaesu
kit. I did belong to another society that dealt with restoring old
receivers. They had loads of DVDs that were given to new members as
part of the signup.
Each to their own.

As you say, I think the VMARS crowd seem to be mainly ex-Military
focused, I suppose the name is the give away.

I believe there is an 'vintage' Yaesu group as well, I believe it
initially focused on the FT101 series but expanded.
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
I am at a very early stage in starting to restore/service old kit.
Luckily, I do remember a useful mnemonic from watching the old BBC2
trade test transmission films...SIDE. It's for dealing with
capacitors; Switch off, Isolate, Dump (the charge) Earth.
he
Over the years I've worked on the 'kit of the time', being technical
tending to repair kit for others and, of course, myself. These days, I
tend to stick to my own kit, my dexterity isn't all it could be and I'm
wary of harming someone else's kit with a 'slip' of the soldering iron
etc. If it is my kit, so be it.

I suppose working on older kit would be easier for me but, even with a
decent sized 'shack' etc., I'm still wary of the real estate etc. My XYL
is very 'understanding' but has an 'over the glasses look' that is a
weapon of mass destruction ;-)
manuel czech
2017-08-07 15:35:52 UTC
so people can co-exist and everyone can enjoy the hobby
"The things people say"

some people have the inability to coexist on the bands and in newsgroups
mm0fmf
2017-08-07 16:42:05 UTC
Post by Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
VMARS is a great society, but it does seem to have an emphasis on old
military gear.
The clue is in their name and mission statement.