GMP
2017-06-19 13:17:02 UTC
..also just got a letter about GMP from HM Revenue and customs... don't
understand a word of it...can anybody explain?.....weekly GMP £70.53...what
does that mean? .....
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2017-06-19 13:21:16 UTC
http://www.sppa.gov.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=596&Itemid=187

I'm still no wiser??????...anybody?
Roger Hayter
2017-06-19 13:33:02 UTC
http://www.sppa.gov.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=596&It
emid=187
I'm still no wiser??????...anybody?
I think it probably means that if your council pension is significantly
more than about £70 a week it doesn't affect you. BICBW!
Roger Hayter
Jim GM4DHJ ...
HYANR!........(hope you are not wrong)
Brian Reay
2017-06-19 13:43:22 UTC
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
http://www.sppa.gov.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=596&It
emid=187
I'm still no wiser??????...anybody?
I think it probably means that if your council pension is significantly
more than about £70 a week it doesn't affect you. BICBW!
Your not, but it does depend if the scheme is contracted out, which most
public schemes are.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
mon then?
Brian Reay
2017-06-19 13:31:59 UTC
Was your pension scheme contracted out of SERPS?
Jim GM4DHJ ...
YES
Jim GM4DHJ ...
come on brian you have me down to the last penny spill the beans! ...tee hee
Brian Reay
2017-06-19 13:53:45 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
..also just got a letter about GMP from HM Revenue and customs... don't
understand a word of it...can anybody explain?.....weekly GMP £70.53...what
does that mean? .....
Was your pension scheme contracted out of SERPS?
YES
Then it is the minimum pension you should get from it, as Roger hinted.
There is/are some other details (qualifying dates) but, while I can't
recall them, you've been working long enough they won't impact you.

I assume HMRC have supplied the details so you can check you are getting
at least the GMP- otherwise how would people know what it was.
(The details were made public but you need to do a calculation.)

I wonder what happens to anyone whose scheme doesn't pay the GMP.
Perhaps it doesn't happen. I assume £70 is the max GMP, there can't be
many, if any, schemes that don't manage that.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
thanks Roger ......
Brian Reay
No need to insult me!
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2017-06-19 18:41:48 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
[...]
well he was right you said he was wrong then back pedaled...so thanks Roger
2017-06-20 11:37:10 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
[...]
Not at all, I acknowledged he was right if your scheme was contracted
out and said it probably was as most public schemes are. The other thing
with public schemes, at least unless you have long enough in a private
one, is you don't get the new higher pension (if you are young enough to
retire when it applies). If you have some time in a public scheme you
may loose a bit but, unless it is a long time, it isn't worth worrying
about. The idea was/is that public schemes (well contracted out schemes
in general) pay enough to compensate for the reduction.

Still, believe what you like. It changes nothing.
Jim GM4DHJ ...
OK
Brian Howie
2017-06-19 15:50:49 UTC
..also just got a letter about GMP from HM Revenue and customs... don't
understand a word of it...can anybody explain?.....weekly GMP £70.53...what
does that mean? .....
Guaranteed Minimum Pension, something to do with contracted out SERPS
possibly . I got a tidy sum from that from Norwich Union as was ( now
Aviva), which was where my SERPS ended up. Even so I think I was ripped
off.

Take the money and run.

Brian
Brian Howie
Jim GM4DHJ ...
what money? ....
Brian Howie
2017-06-19 19:40:52 UTC
Post by Brian Howie
Post by Jim GM4DHJ ...
..also just got a letter about GMP from HM Revenue and customs... don't
understand a word of it...can anybody explain?.....weekly GMP
£70.53...what
does that mean? .....
Guaranteed Minimum Pension, something to do with contracted out SERPS
possibly . I got a tidy sum from that from Norwich Union as was ( now
Aviva), which was where my SERPS ended up. Even so I think I was ripped
off.
Take the money and run.
Brian
what money? ....
What! do you owe them money ?

Brian Howie
Jim GM4DHJ ...
do I ? .....
Brian Reay
I'm so tempted to say yes ;-)
Jim GM4DHJ ...
you would..misinformation about people is your specialty .....
Gareth's Downstairs Computer
2017-06-19 16:54:04 UTC
..also just got a letter about GMP from HM Revenue and customs... don't
understand a word of it...can anybody explain?.....weekly GMP £70.53...what
does that mean? .....
At sometime in the past you were a member of a pension scheme which
was not contracted out of the government's SERPS (or previous graduated
pension) schemes, and it is the extra pension that you have accumulated
over and above the normal OAP.

(GMP, not to be confused with EMP, another topic about which M3OSN
seems in the past to have got his knickers in a twist)
Jim GM4DHJ ...
I still don't get it .....
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2017-06-20 10:07:42 UTC