Of interest to SW Broadcast listeners, as well as Radio Amateurs
2018-03-20 09:00:44 UTC
JAAMOI. the WebSDR at the University of Twente, Enschede, NL

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

has the unusual (for a WebSDR) facility of having AMSync as one of the
modes available, which is very useful for BC SWL DXers as well as Radio
Amateurs.

The receiver at this site is wide-band, 0 Hz to 28.160 MHz, and uses a
'mini-whip' antenna.

More info on their web site.

If you don't know what AMSync is, this post is not for you.

"RSGBTech is meant for everyone", or so the RSGB says. The group is
moderated 'to
ensure that the questions are on topic', but the group's own admissions
policy mention
(a pre-) 'vet', 'known', 'trouble', and 'maker', but not the vetting
policy! None of these are
'moderation' issues and none are mentioned in the RSGB's Guidelines.....
A. non Eyemouse
2018-03-20 14:15:12 UTC
Post by Spike
JAAMOI. the WebSDR at the University of Twente, Enschede, NL
http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
has the unusual (for a WebSDR) facility of having AMSync as one of the
modes available, which is very useful for BC SWL DXers as well as Radio
Amateurs.
The receiver at this site is wide-band, 0 Hz to 28.160 MHz, and uses a
'mini-whip' antenna.
More info on their web site.
If you don't know what AMSync is, this post is not for you.
Some implementations are better than others. As far as real receivers
go, the one in the Sony ICF-EX5mk2 takes some beating but that RX only
covers MW. The one in the 2001D/2010 was a good one as was the AOR7030.
Some of the more recent Tecsun efforts are howlers. For SDR I find the
one in HDSDR works.

There is also an opinion that for MW selective fading that an elliptic
filter can be as good or better (Dallas Lankford).
--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
Spike
2018-03-21 09:14:24 UTC
Post by A. non Eyemouse
Post by Spike
JAAMOI. the WebSDR at the University of Twente, Enschede, NL
http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
has the unusual (for a WebSDR) facility of having AMSync as one of the
modes available, which is very useful for BC SWL DXers as well as
Radio Amateurs.
The receiver at this site is wide-band, 0 Hz to 28.160 MHz, and uses a
'mini-whip' antenna. More info on their web site.
If you don't know what AMSync is, this post is not for you.
Some implementations are better than others. As far as real receivers
go, the one in the Sony ICF-EX5mk2 takes some beating but that RX only
covers MW. The one in the 2001D/2010 was a good one as was the AOR7030.
I see the EX5 is still available from Japan; I wonder if it uses the
same AMS chip as the SW-100 - which also has a good reputation on AMS. I
bought one of the latter radios just after the cable issue was dealt
with and used it lots with an AN-LP1. When I heard that they had ceased
production, I bought a second one, together with another loop antenna.
Post by A. non Eyemouse
Some of the more recent Tecsun efforts are howlers.
Never tried a Tecsun!
Post by A. non Eyemouse
For SDR I find the one in HDSDR works.
Hmmm...I don't have a radio to link that to.
Post by A. non Eyemouse
There is also an opinion that for MW selective fading that an elliptic
filter can be as good or better (Dallas Lankford).
So many things to try....but thanks for the heads-up.

I use a Barlow-Wadley for general-purpose listening around. although
having almost zero facilities (no variable bandwidths, no AMS) and
despite being somewhat heavy, it's a useful piece of kit.